1988 defender value? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Abrumley
Austin Brumley
None

1988 defender value?

I found a 1988 rover for sale not far from me and am looking for some help in establishing a fair price for it. It is RHD, diesel with a bit of blow by. Other than the blow by it seems to be in great shape. What do you think? Any help is greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	79546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Abrumley
Austin Brumley
None

Also has 166k on it.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:27 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
looking at the craigslist add, it LOOKS nice, but they don't have any photos of the common rust areas. Also, at the $17,500 they are asking for it, you are approaching NAS defender prices.... some rusty NAS defenders have sold for considerably less.... so I guess it depends on how nice it really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:56 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Is it in Andover? If so, dont make any farm animal jokes to the seller. If not, get Pendy's opinion.

-Jeff
http://lawrence.craigslist.org/cto/4051878242.html
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Abrumley
Austin Brumley
None

It's located in Lawrence the owners name is Peter. He seems like a good guy. I know that he has only had it for a few months and bought it with the intentions of re selling. I'm not looking to low ball anyone I just need to know if what he wants is reasonable. I've had a newer d90 and had a few nightmares associated with it so I want to cover my bases and make an informed decision. Again thanks. Side note is arb the only good option for getting the diffs locked or is there a factory option refit available. My last rig was a factory locked Toyota fzj-80 and I loved that option

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2013 12:34 AM ------

Also sorry to sound naive but what is an NAS defender?
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
FWIW, in the UK it probably cost less than $10k.

It all depends on if you plan to install a new frame & bulkhead, and whether or not you plan to keep the current engine. If the bulkhead & frame are good & you like that power plant, it's an ok price. But if you go the galvanized frame, epoxied bulkhead & 200/300Tdi or V8 route, you'll soon be in it over $30k. And you'll be stuck with a RHD rig. You can buy a LHD NAS SW for $35k.

YMMV...
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:49 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrumley View Post
I've had a newer d90 and had a few nightmares associated with it so I want to cover my bases and make an informed decision.
The potential for extreme problems with ROW trucks is high.

"Blow by" on the diesel...not sure what that means at all, but it doesn't sound good.

Rear door has obvious corrosion under the paint. The question is whether the paint is original or someone has painted over the corroded aluminum. Either way, that will have to be repaired. Front doors have what appears to be bubbling corrosion along the bottom as well. This usually means the bottoms of the door frames have completely rotted out.

As others have said, you need to inspect the chassis with a screwdriver and poke around for rust. You must lift up the carpet in the bulkhead and inspect the footwells for rust.

I imagine that you'll need new front doors and a rear door at a minimum. You can live with a rotted bulkhead for a long time. Frame rust can be dealt with as necessary as well.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Abrumley
Austin Brumley
None

Wow! You guys are a great help thank you! Ill inspect these areas closely. How about that locker route? Any suggestions? If I do purchase it front and rear lockers are a must for me
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:51 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrumley View Post
Wow! You guys are a great help thank you! Ill inspect these areas closely. How about that locker route? Any suggestions? If I do purchase it front and rear lockers are a must for me
It's hard for me to tell by the photos... but does that have disc brakes on the back?

If so, the axle may have been replaced with a newer defender or disco axle, so lockers may be easier to find, if it's the newer 24 spline stuff. If it's original 1988 10 spline stuff, you'll need more parts, but some of them you MIGHT want anyway, such as HD 24 spline axleshafts to go with the lockers. If going new stuff, and lot of people speak highly of ashcroft. They say the lockers are stronger and they seem to be a little cheaper than ARB.

I put a 1999 disco rear axle in my ex-MOD 90 to get rear disc, and to make future upgrades easier... this way if I find a good deal on a locker, I don't have to buy new axle shafts immediately. I can instead wait until I snap a stock one and wonder why I didn't do it right the first time.
Old November 16th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Some one bought it. Anyone here?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender