'14 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 29th, 2016, 08:02 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
What is the good and bad on this model Q5? Persuading my wife to go in the 3.0 TDI direction over the 2.0T. Any concerns about the VW EPA issue on the 3.0 TDI? Other? Thanks for any feedback.
Edit - I should have searched first....
https://www.audiusa.com/about/diesel...tion/v6-diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2016, 08:35 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Russell,

I have the 2.0T and it drives perfect. It has over 130k miles and I have no complains.

Dunno anything about the TDI.

Why you don't like the 2.0T?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had the 2.0 Q5 the year prior to the release of the tdi. Awesome car and we've always been Audi owners. Our next Audi will be a tdi.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Wife wants the Q7 tdi. We'll likely sell back our jetta tdi with the buyback and restitution at $20k but love the diesel and want another.
Old September 29th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

My wife has a '14 Q5 TDI. We love it. There's a bit of turbo lag, to be expected, but once it spools up get out of the way! The ride is very solid and getting 30+ mpg on the highway is an added bonus. We had a loaner '16 2.0T for the last service and it was great too, but pulling out on the highway I sure missed the TDI. I really hope Audi gets things squared away with dieselgate as I really want a new Q7 TDI. Might have to get a Dico5 TD6...
Old September 29th, 2016, 02:51 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Why you don't like the 2.0T?
I can think of 428 reasons.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:18 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Article regarding potential software update and possibly a new CAT by end of year. Does anyone have more current info?
VW Close to Emissions Fix for Diesel 3.0-liter V-6 – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
There is no updated info available at the moment. I'm curious to hear their proposed settlement for the 3.0L tdi's. We have a 3.0 tdi Touareg and it's great. With some emissions deletes, exhaust and a tune it's much more responsive, without sacrificing mileage too much.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Darby
Darby Richards
1992 Defender 110 200TDI

I have a 2010 Touareg TDi - love it, decent power, 7000lbs and change towing capacity. The emissions instrumentation is a pain. I have had the pump, tank, tank heater, Nox sensors all replaced under warranty, scares me to think what this would cost outside of warranty.
The HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) Bosch CP 4.2 is problematic - many reported failures. My thoughts on preventing failure are to hit it with a Diesel lubricity agent at every other fuel fill up. NA Diesel barely meets the ASTM D975 fuel standards for lubricity.
As for Diesel gate - I don't know that they are out of the woods yet.
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:39 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
I have a 2010 Touareg TDi - love it, decent power, 7000lbs and change towing capacity. The emissions instrumentation is a pain. I have had the pump, tank, tank heater, Nox sensors all replaced under warranty, scares me to think what this would cost outside of warranty.
The HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) Bosch CP 4.2 is problematic - many reported failures. My thoughts on preventing failure are to hit it with a Diesel lubricity agent at every other fuel fill up. NA Diesel barely meets the ASTM D975 fuel standards for lubricity.
As for Diesel gate - I don't know that they are out of the woods yet.
I was on the edge of my seat when I read 2010 Touareg Tdi - Love It. Then you list all the short-Cummings so far. Youre a nice guy and your name must be synonymous with Job.

Old September 30th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Darby
Darby Richards
1992 Defender 110 200TDI

"and your name must be synonymous with Job." I'm not sure what that mean by that?

Don't get me wrong - it's a great truck. I really enjoy the ride and fuel economy. If you're the type of person that hates maintenance - buy a Toyota. (but seeing as you have a defender I doubt you're afraid of maintenance)
For piece of mind buy the extended warranty. Things can get expensive quick.
Check out: Club Touareg Forums
I realize its a Q5 you're looking at but the platforms are the same, and certainly the same engine and transmission.
Old September 30th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

There's a hearing November 3rd to discuss the 3.0L TDI...
Supposed to be just a software update with increased urea consumption but rumor is CARB wants a buyback option that VW was balking at. Only time will tell.
Audi, VW, Porsche 3.0-liter diesel owners won't hear a thing until November
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Of the eight TDIs I could locate (AutoTrader.com, Cars.com, etc) three are local. Two from an Audi dealership and one at a Honda dealer. All three were local-one owner low mileage trade-ins with clean Carfax reports. The one from the Honda dealership had prior front end damage with new front left control arms, horrible panel fit and a few other items. Sunroof and glove box also showed water stains (same issue to watch for like the LR3/4). My first choice at the Audi dealer was sold, maintained, and bought back by this same dealer. They went on an on how it was a cream puff, their thorough inspections blah blah. It is worth noting 3.0 TDIs may not be sold as "pre-certified" because of the ongoing EPA issues. Test drive was good, wife liked it, thinking this would be the one. Opening the hood I saw panel fit issues (on the left side again) then about the worst bondo repair job you could do. There was zero chance this was overlooked by the dealer. Is there a law that requires body work to be reported? Here are two late model cars with crap repairs and clean carfax reports. Not that I would ever trust these reports, but it was a complete waist of a few hours yesterday.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

None of them are worth the risk IMHO.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Of the eight TDIs I could locate (AutoTrader.com, Cars.com, etc) three are local. Two from an Audi dealership and one at a Honda dealer. All three were local-one owner low mileage trade-ins with clean Carfax reports. The one from the Honda dealership had prior front end damage with new front left control arms, horrible panel fit and a few other items. Sunroof and glove box also showed water stains (same issue to watch for like the LR3/4). My first choice at the Audi dealer was sold, maintained, and bought back my this same dealer. They went on an one how it was a cream puff, their thorough inspections blah blah. It is worth noting 3.0 TDIs may not be sold as "pre-certified" because of the ongoing EPA issues. Test drive was good, wife liked it, thinking this would be the one. Opening the hood I saw panel fit issues (on the left side again) then about the worst bondo repair job you could do. There was zero chance this was overlooked by the dealer. Is there a law that requires body work to be reported? Here are two late model cars with crap repairs and clean carfax reports. Not that I would ever trust these reports, but it was a complete waist of a few hours yesterday.
How many miles and how much $$ since they can't offer pre owned cert?
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:34 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
None of them are worth the risk IMHO.
Audi USA headquarters is down the road and we won't see the 3.0 TDI sold on these shores again. The ~85k already here (Audi, Porsche VW) is it and there is pent up demand for them. Let's circle back in 12 months.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:38 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Audi USA headquarters is down the road and we won't see the 3.0 TDI sold on these shores again. The ~85k already here (Audi, Porsche VW) is it and there is pent up demand for them. Let's circle back in 12 months.
Let the dust settle before deciding. Good idea given the uncertainty of the legality of these machines.
Old October 6th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Why be like everyone else? Get one of these mammajammas

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5798963609.html
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
How is it so far? The wife said the Q5 is too small, so we're looking at the Q7 TDIs instead now (as well as a few other SUVs). She's being pickier about this than I'd hoped.
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:49 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
How is it so far? The wife said the Q5 is too small, so we're looking at the Q7 TDIs instead now (as well as a few other SUVs). She's being pickier about this than I'd hoped.
Nice car. Drives well and pulls like a freight train. It became family distance hauler so the LR3 is is relegated to a commuter and big box runs. Surprised the xenon headlights are horrible compared to the LR3. Even the reverse lights are bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	173017  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat