Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
130 trek around OZ

Not sure if anyone else has been following this but I find the pictures amazing and thought I'd share.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...dci-130-set-up

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:32 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yeah, I found that one and read the whole thing.. Not game enough to let my wife see it or she'll be telling me to throw it all in and just go home to OZ...
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Good stuff, like the mods...would be real cool trekin with two younglings like that for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2014, 12:36 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
http://www.overlandwithkids.com/

Old October 19th, 2014, 12:48 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Didn't Lav go overlanding with kids....oh wait, that was with Pedro , I'm sure that's even more of a challenge..

------ Follow up post added October 19th, 2014 12:50 PM ------

Great.. I like to walk on the wild side and I sent the link to my wife anyway, so now I am tasked with making her that cool bottle opener..and I am sure that's just for starters..
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:53 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I love the look of the grill guard that blends into the sliders. I see a 130 in my future and relax Bill, the current project 90 isn't going anywhere soon.
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Jwillia
Justin
87 ROW build in progress

wow super cool
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
I like this thread too!

Best of all: Jason is a member here too!
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Didn't Lav go overlanding with kids....oh wait, that was with Pedro , I'm sure that's even more of a challenge..
As I said from the start...I brought 2 kids to Expo. My 4 year old son Ethan, and my 40 year old son Pedro. My daughter (2) got upset, so next year I've promised to REALLY bring all my kids. Yes Pedro, that includes you!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:40 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

As I said from the start...I brought 2 kids to Expo. My 4 year old son Ethan, and my 40 year old son Pedro. My daughter (2) got upset, so next year I've promised to REALLY bring all my kids. Yes Pedro, that includes you!
Yay

Old October 21st, 2014, 08:02 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Good Stuff. Reminds me of that truck that was out in Upperville a bit. I wonder if that guy ever got that thing finished an on his trip? I know he had about $250k invested at one point years ago.

Clay

Old October 21st, 2014, 08:31 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm amazed at how much onboard water and fuel he has. That is overland modification in it's purest form. Completely bling free (I say that because the bottle opener is a necessity).

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:53 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

All the bling will still let you die of thirst in the middle of Australia.. Most tourists, and even some Aussies underestimate the size and remoteness of central Australia, when you are going through the centre you burn a lot more fuel due to the sand driving majority of the time.. They shut down some of the more popular tourist destinations routes in the centre of Australia certain times of the year due to too many people getting into trouble in the remotest of areas going in unprepared..as we like to say...it's as hot as balls out there and as dry as a nuns ...hoohaa.. My new build is specifically built with these sort of areas in mind, when I get back home to OZ I want to do a remote expedition survival tours business, will be using this new truck and will be building some others as well as land cruisers to rent out, either tag along or drive yourself, all trucks will have locator beacons and if drive yourself there will be a mandatory 3 day class teaching sand recovery, basic mechanical troubleshooting and off road driving techniques as well as basic map reading and navigation skills. I want to make these trips catered to families, I teach the husband the driving recovery etc things and my wife teaches the wife how to cook and get creative on the trail, how to pack and organize with pre mixed meals etc etc.. I have a good buddy who is an excellent off roader and has done the rainforest challenge etc and is also a fabulous land rover mechanic and truck builder, he is DYING to come to OZ once I get there..
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:20 PM
newhue
Jason
1994 Tdi 130, 2010 Tdci 130

Oi, that's my truck guys. I'm glad you like it. It's no tour of Aus, they are just some of my holidays in recent years.

I'm here because you guys are much more welcoming than the poms, and my Aus forum I got a little tired of same ol same ol. I also have another gender really, and that it to find what you guys like and where to go. I've picked up some cool trails from here. You may have also read I have another thread of coming to the US in a few years with a Tdi 130 to tour in, then hopefully sell it to help pay for the trip.

The Tdci is my daily drive as a tradeies truck firstly, I need the tray empty for gear other wise it would have some type of set up in it. Secondly as a long haul family holiday, thirdly as a weekend explorer/get away.
Trips like the Canning Stock Route take 2 weeks to get to from home, and another 2 to 3 weeks to complete, and then you finish in the middle of now where. Plenty of every thing is a must. In some places like the central Simpson where we did the Madigan trip, help is $300 per hour, and can be up to 5 days away. Yes the bill starts at $10 000 for a recovery so it pays to be organised.
The way we like to travel is really take as many backcountry roads as possible. Dropping in on towns for food, fuel, or water, or some historic/scenic value. A car full of family and stuff required to make it work brings the truck in at GVM, so bling really isn't an option. I have to admit most bling really isn't my taste as well, so have to say I'm a boring landy owner with a white rig for smoothening different.
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:49 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Welcome Jason....btw me and Shayne you are killing us with those pictures of home!! He is Newcastle & I am Perth.

Thanks for sharing mate.
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:05 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

He is chalk...I am cheese..ummmm, wait, that's not right..

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2014 06:08 PM ------

But yes, awesome shots, makes me wanna pack it all in right now and just say screw it, head home and call in and stay with jonesy's parents in Perth for a month or 2.. ..and then drive back across to home in Newcastle..just may pick your brains one of these days for some places to visit on the way..
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:54 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
newhue...what's your timeline to do the states trip? (I.e. "when")
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Those poor kitties!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:59 AM
newhue
Jason
1994 Tdi 130, 2010 Tdci 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
newhue...what's your timeline to do the states trip? (I.e. "when")
Don't get too excited, I have to rebuild this Tdi first, and it has to mature to 25 years old. It's a 94 build so a few years to go yet. The plan is to test bed it for 6 months before departing Aus, so its 100% in the US for 6 months. It will arrive at 24.5 and mature while there. There is a bit of sorting yet I have to figure out with Carnet's, exporting it out into Canada, then re importing back in. Plus how I and the family leave and come back regarding departures. The wife wants me to rebuild something earlier so we can go sooner. And would make it easier if the car was 25yo to start with. But I like my 130's so it stays. We may bring a 110 Isuzu ute or soft top as well if a can't get any mates to join me in the container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Those poor kitties!
Actually I don't mind cats, just not outside the house. How I wished hey were all nuetered if not for breeding.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...t-shot/5803918
Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:27 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Feral cats are a huge issue in Australia....not enough people hunt and kill them to keep up with the population explosion of the bastards. They have devastated entire species.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags