Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 1st, 2015, 12:33 PM
edemusmaximus
Ed O
1990 Defender 90 200tdi

Registry
127 Rear tub config

My 1990 127 has the appearance of a station wagon conversion, but functionally/structurally is not...it is effectively a covered rear tub on an intact quad cab. The rear bulkhead was never molested. Do I have cause to worry in bringing this vehicle back to the US? Functionally, the tub seems the same as if I would have placed a hoopset/canvas back there. A forum member believed this couldn't be brought in to the US since it is a SW conversion, but that may be a result of me not adequately describing it. Should I be retrofitting it? A SW should look like the attached picture, right? Many thanks for your feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conversion.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	121988  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Since all 130 wagons are one-offs, I don't think there is any way it "should" look. Perhaps Foley or another company which has done many could relate some " best practices" or hot set ups, but there is no factory design. I assume your truck started life as a chassis cab or a double cab pick up.

A lot of your value will depend on how well this conversion was done. If you can find documentation that it was Foley or someone with a reputation, that would certainly help convince a buyer they weren't buying someone's backyard hack-job. Might help with customs too, but that's not my area of expertise - far better you get advice you're paying for. Doug Crowther is a good place to start.

The other thing us that it sounds like you've bought thus truck on speculation. How much return you expect on your investment might also inform your decision to import it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
One other thing - if the quad cab is intact, you could just go back to the crew cab config. Rear windows are plentiful and cheap. If you need a bed, I've got a spare one which is about 6/10 condition-wise. Beds are also readily available but often clapped-out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2015, 03:44 PM
edemusmaximus
Ed O
1990 Defender 90 200tdi

Registry
I did get that pic off of Foley's site. The cab is completely intact, and still has the sliding windows. The bed itself is also intact. Thanks for the tip. I will follow up with Foley tomorrow and see if they have a record of a build for this truck. As far as a build job, it is very quality. Whoever did it knew what they were doing. The rear door shuts solidly and beautifully. It would be a shame to take this apart.
I've made a few attempts to call Doug's number and I seem to never get through. I imagine his phone ringing constantly through the day. I also imagine him answering one day and I unable to put a coherent thought together either and ask him something stupid like, hey buddy, can I ship over a 2013 Defender?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	121996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	121997  

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	121998  
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:50 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

For anything special I always use Doug, he can upfront tell you your chances and knows the right people to ask questions too.
He is going to do my 127 with a special body too.
He is busy, best to email him

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat