110 prices, newbie questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
KYRover
Colby
2012 LR4

110 prices, newbie questions

Ever since buying my wife an LR4 this past fall, I have become quite intrigued by Land Rovers in general. I'd love to one day have a Defender that I could use as hunting/farm rig. Just the idea of having something that will go anywhere and still get close to 30mpg on the highway is amazing to me.

What sort of price range should one expect to pay for a 110 in good mechanical condition with a solid body?

Which diesel engine offers the best overall package in reliability/efficiency/performance? I've seen trucks for sale with the 200tdi, 300tdi, td5, and even the newer puma engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Welcome. LRs are certainly addictive.

Reliability & Efficiency & Performance (power): factory AUS spec 4bd1t.

200, 300. Etc. are fine and good but no contest.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
What sort of price range should one expect to pay for a 110 in good mechanical condition with a solid body?
They start to smell good around $30K, become edible at $40, and above $50 become tasty. Gourmet is above $75.
Doug can connect you with one.

Of course they can be had for less, but are usually projects.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
KY-Defender
Raymond Orthober
1987 D-110

Welcome KY Rover-

I too am a brand new member from Kentucky and have the same goal of 110 adoption by fall 2012 (after Forum stalking for a year absorbing all the incredible information contained within!)

Honored to share my first post with another KY Defender enthusiast!

I currently am at my desk at work finishing an email to Doug, introducing myself and seeking his guidance as I initiate the process of purchasing my very first Defender- you will find his input and experiences to be incredibly helpful and insightful. He is 130tdi on this forum - look for him, his website will be in his posts.

We have a few Defenders and Series in the Louisville Area, but no real cohesive club that I have found yet.

I shall not hi-jack your thread space, but my aim is a 110 300tdi 5door 1987ish restored/refurb for overland expedition type adventures.

Look forward to getting to know you and the rest of the D-90 Forum community as I move forward with my 110 search as well!

Regards,
Raymond O
Louisville, Kentucky
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Doug is the man if you are shopping in the UK. He gets them in with no hastle to you. Worth every penny of his very reasonable charge.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:35 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Low price = more work. I went that route knowing that I was going to have work to do but now, six months later, I have spent more on fixing up the truck than I spent buying and importing it. That being said if you have the time, patients, $ and ability to do the work it's not that bad. You will know exactly what you have and you will be able to tear it apart and put it back together with your eyes closed and that will come in handy.
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM
KYRover
Colby
2012 LR4

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty mechanically adept (I've personally rebuilt the undercarriage, final drives, and transmission on my Caterpillar D7, for instance), but I doubt that I'll want to do an entire ground-up, body-off restoration myself. For me it would be more of an issued finding the time to complete the entire project myself. Plus, I'm not a fan of doing body work. However, I don't mind trouble shooting mechanical problems and doing maintenance/repairs myself. I've owned diesel pickups in the past and have had lots of diesel equipment, so having a diesel engine is actually a large part of the appeal for me.

Would I be correct in assuming that the on road ride/drive is somewhat similar to a 80's or 90's Jeep Wrangler? If so, that's something I'm very familiar with. Hopefully KY Defender will get his project completed soon and let me go for a spin . Raymond, I figured you were already on here, lol.

Thanks again guys. I'll probably be mostly lurking, with the occasional question. Financially, I'm still probably at least a year out from being able to commit to a project like this. That leaves lots of time for information gathering and planning.
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:14 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just as a heads up, I was on ebay.co.uk and there were two 1988 110s with diesel and galvy frames if you want to buy one and store it until 2013. One looked really nice.

Ron
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
They start to smell good around $30K, become edible at $40, and above $50 become tasty. Gourmet is above $75.

Of course they can be had for less, but are usually projects.
that is an extremely accurate statement.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYRover View Post
Would I be correct in assuming that the on road ride/drive is somewhat similar to a 80's or 90's Jeep Wrangler?
Well, the Defender is a coilsprung truck. Wranglers didn't get coils until the TJ rolled around in the late 90's. The 110's wheelbase is pretty long. It's not quite JK 4-door long, but it's near there. The on-road drive is actually very smooth - not much different from any other modern coil-sprung solid axle vehicle (think TJ wrangler, FJ80 Landcruiser, etc.) Bad-weather driving is pretty nice since the truck is full-time 4wd.

The real issue is noise, which on a diesel at highway speeds is quite substantial. In my experience, the V8's seem to be much quieter in general.

The 200/300tdi diesels are not speed demons. Even turbocharged, they make 30 less horsepower than a Honda Civic. Also I think the 30mpg figure is a little inflated...maybe in imperial gallons!

As for which diesel is better...other people can speak to that better than I can. I went for a 200tdi simply because of its reputation for bulletproof simplicity. I would have gotten a non-electrical 300tdi if I could have found one. TD5's and Pumas are strolling into a different and very complicated world...someone like Doug @ Dividing Creek would be the best to ask questions to regarding importation.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The 200/300tdi diesels are not speed demons. Even turbocharged, they make 30 less horsepower than a Honda Civic. Also I think the 30mpg figure is a little inflated...maybe in imperial gallons!
The 30 is imperial gallons. Even babying it (i.e. 55 MPH all highway), you'll be lucky to hit much more than 27 MPG (US gallons).

I went from an '82 Scrambler fuel injected in-line 6 to a Defender 110 300 tdi. The Defender ride is much better, fewer shudders/vibrations at high speed, and the Scrambler's wind noise has been replaced by the drone of the 300 tdi. There's a few things I miss from my Scrambler:

- cheaper, more available parts here in the US (not true anywhere else, though)
- lighter, which can be better for off-road mud and climbing
- better acceleration (could probably be improved if I wanted to sacrifice efficiency)

I've probably put $30K in mine, including purchase price, and I'm down to long-term maintenance (rebuild swivel housings, fix some electrical issues, etc....). I did start with a solid, relatively rust-free platform and low (40,000) mile 300 tdi.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
The 30 is imperial gallons. Even babying it (i.e. 55 MPH all highway), you'll be lucky to hit much more than 27 MPG (US gallons).

YMMV, before the rebuild my truck was getting 28-29 MPG (us gallons) witha 200tdi and a 1.2 Tcase. I was constantly thrashing the thing on stock size tires in a hilly area. On the highway though I rarely cruised above 70MPH, usually in the 60-65 range.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:13 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

I own a TD5 and really like it, it has plenty of pulling power up hill without the need to downshift alot. Very smooth highway truck but a bit rattly on dirt/ pothole ridden roads ( mostly the rear door, bad design it wont hold up to abuse with a full size tire on it). To compare to a Jeep Wrangler, well dont, they are two differnent designs and wheel base's, Radius arms vs upper/lower control arms ect ect. For the record, wranglers were all leaf sprung until the TJ 1997 .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags