110 delivered - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

110 delivered

Doug dropped off the 110 this morning and I'm entrhralled. It's better than anticipated and Doug really did a hell of a job getting everything organized. After a good washing I've started making the list of things to do to her. First will be to figure out how to fit my castors to it.

Anyway, if anyone's thinking about going the '83 110 or 90 route, talk to Doug. I'm going back out to the driveway to stare some more.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 delivered web.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	13394  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Nice
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nice. I am sure you are ready to get rid of the white wagon wheels.
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Tony,

So are you bringing the 110, or the 90, or both for the June 29th Lunch in Maryland? Is the 90 sold? I need to add your car to the list of cars coming.....................

Flagg
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks for the plug Tony. I'll find that post about fitting alloys to early Defenders and shoot it to you.

I only put 45 or so miles on her but that 300 tdi is a nice one . You have every right to be a proud papa. I put a couple of shots of her on the website.

www.dividingcreekroverimports.com

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Flagg, as the 90 belongs to someone else (though it's still here) I'll bring the 110 if I can make it.

Phillip, sure am, and I think the alloy's will look much better on there -- see attached.

Doug, thanks for looking, it appears that I'm having the same issue that Charles had when he tried yours -- I'm bottoming out somehow. I think I could force them on, but I obviously don't want to. You were right about the trip odometer, it's off by a lot -- reg. odometer appears to be fine, though. It does appear that I'll need to put some heavier springs up front before the sg bumper and winch can go on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alloy web.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	13395  
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
process was the same for my truck front and rear.

Fitting Alloy Wheels to Drum-Braked Defenders

Before I start, read this:

This article is provided as information only. The information contained in this article are provided without any guarantee of any kind, either express or implied, to the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law. I make no guarantees that this information is correct, and fit for the purpose you may put it to. Under no circumstances, including, but not limited to, negligence, shall I be liable for any loss or consequential loss that result from the access or use of, information from this article.

This article is basically a guide for fitting Land Rover alloys wheels to a Defender (when I say Defender I'm including pre-Defender 90/110 as well) with drum brakes on the rear axle. The perceived wisdom is that alloy wheels cannot be fitted to vehicles with these axles, as there is insufficient clearance for the wheel.

Well they do (well, will) fit, and here's how.
  • Firstly, jack up the vehicle and remove the existing wheel from the corner you want to work on.
  • You'll now have a hub which should look something like this:
    http://www.web-rover.co.uk/images/ar...ub_colours.gif
  • Apply something coloured and easily visible, like engineer's blue or copper anti-seize grease to the orange and yellow faces shown above.
  • Make sure the new wheel is clean on the inside, then try to put wheel onto hub. It probably won't sit down on the back plate (shown in blue above) properly, but wiggle the wheel around to transfer some of the blue/copper grease onto the wheel. Remove the wheel.
  • Look at the inside of the wheel, and the hub. This will give you an idea of where the wheel is fouling the hub, and where you need to file away to make the wheel sit properly.
  • If the wheel is fouling the bolt heads (yellow in the diagram) and the bolts have spring washers under them, you can remove the spring washers and use Loctite (thread lock) to replace them. This should give you a bit more clearance.
  • Attack the bolt heads and the orange rim with a file, removing a small amount of material wherever the wheel is catching. Then try refitting the wheel, and using feeler gauges determine the gap between the wheel and the hub backplate. If there is no gap at all then you're done, and you can move on to the next hub.
  • If there is still a gap, repeat steps 3 to 7 until there is no gap, then move on.
  • Once you've done all the hubs, you can then get the tyres mounted! If you only have wheels with the tyres already on, you can do it with the complete wheel and tyre assembly, but you'll probably need two people! Or you could try and blag another wheel the same to use..
http://www.web-rover.co.uk/images/f9...and%20Dads.jpg That'll be one 1988 Land Rover 90 with Land Rover alloys fitted to it. Bingo!

If you have any comments/queries about this article, please contact me.

http://www.web-rover.co.uk/images/top.gifTophttp://www.web-rover.co.uk/images/lr_outlines.gif

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
First, it looks terrible! I mean, where's the color?

Now, on the topic of the rims, when I looked at them, the amount of clearance needed is very small and I am convinced that grinding a *SMALL* amount off the inside of the alloy is a better approach. I really don't think you need to remove much, nor would it be enough to ruin it's integrity or balance. I got a smoking deal on some deep dish alloys (painted black unfortunately) that I plan on testing this with.

I've been crazy busy and am behind on other projects so this will have to wait for now, but I am sure it will work well. If you are hesitant to do it on your own, I'd be happy to try it sooner.

charles
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I think you're right -- I could seat the wheel with a bit of muscle, so I think pulling the lockwashers and cleaning may get me there. I may give it a whirl today (even though I really should be painting the nursery)

As for the color, it does have a certain "The UN is in town" look to it, but I think the alloys and black flares and sliders will help considerably.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Removing the washers will help, but I don't think completely solve it. Doug did that and still had to clearance the bolts some.

After removing the washers, I say do the grease trick, but apply the grease to the hub bolt heads. Seat the wheel then use a dremel to grind off a little bit of the rim where the grease marks are, and try again. It should be a very small quarter moon shaped area to cut.

Repeat until they fit well. Even though only the fronts need it, you really need to do all 5 rims for rotation and use of the spare, but I think it would be well worth it.

charles
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
You guys and your 110's are so annoying

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
You guys and your 110's are so annoying

isnt this the D-90.com
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
You guys are just jealous because we grew a few inches.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
after using the impact to remove and reinstall the wheels several times there is very slight indentations on the back side of the wheel where the bolts are hiting but all of the wheels now fit fine. I initially did some radius work on the hub bolt heads but after repacking bearings etc those no longer line up and the wheel fits fine. Since you guys both stole your wheels maybe dressing the wheel is the right way to go.

Phillip- we all started out with 90's. As the family and children grow you have to "grow" the defender. My moment of truth was when my 6 foot 2 13yr old son said he wasn't riding in a jumpseat anymore. We wheel 110's as hard if not harder than our 90's.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
You guys are just jealous because we grew a few inches.
did you have to take any pills to achieve that?
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Doug,

I knew you had brought in a few Rovers from the UK...........but I had no idea you had this full blown business until you posted your web page.

That is great! I have bookmarked the page. I have a friend that has some mild interest in brining in a 110. I forwarded him your link. Plus you never know..........I may be doing the same thing as Tony at some point in the future. Great to know your around.

Flagg
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Congratulations, Tony.
Nice truck!
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

awesome Tony, it looks great! congrats.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Flag- I'm going to get Charles to help me clean the site design up a bit since he keeps sending me criticisims off line. I thought I did well for a novice building a website....but these code monkeys can be critical

Dividing Creek Imports

Old May 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hey, you did great! Just trying to hook a brother up and make your life easier and your website better

You're just sore because I don't want to drive your truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags