Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
110 3 Door Configuration Ideas

So I'm about six months into my Rover experience and am loving it so far. It has become my daily driver. I came to this board and asked for advice when purchasing my truck and people said the 3 door 110 was the "least desirable model" as well as "the most configurable model" among other things. I have found it to be great for hauling around my gf and her son and I. It also safely stows my fly fishing gear, tools, parts, new stereo and amp and speakers with relative security, when the passenger window decides to lock! I am wondering what people think is the best long term configuration for this model and what it takes to get it to that point.

So far I have toyed with:

1. Open top truck. This would require some type of cage/roll bar to attach the seat belts at a minimum. Perhaps the front portion of a NAS ST cage? Is there a cage that would allow an easy transition from running an open top to putting the roof on? Also tailgate, half cab, soft top, locking tool boxes

2. Expedition style fly fishing shack. All-out camping rig with roof rack, roof top tent, dual batteries, fridge, on board propane, air, water. I think the 3 door would make a great expedition rig but most I see out there are 5 door models. The 3 door could provide shelter pretty comfortably during foul weather or sketchy environments.

I would love to do both of these things if I had money to throw at them. The reality is that I should probably get a 200tdi and suspension upgrade before anything else. Then sliders, winch bumper, winch, sliding rear windows, dome light, new seats, etc.

Just thought it would be fun to talk about what to do with this model.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I can't really offer any advice since I don't know much about 110's, but sounds like a cool truck. Post up a few pics...
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The "person" who said it was the least desirable model was wrong as evidenced by the number of people who immediately said otherwise. That was that individuals opinion and nothing more.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

3 doors will always be worth less than 5 doors, but personally if you are not carrying around more than 2 people often it is great which begs the question, where does the GF's son sit? In the middle seat or in the back? If in the back, what seats do you have?

I think Bill at TNT LR had 110 ROW soft tops for a deal and I think Safari Rover had some too. Although not the most secure and basically suicide if you roll, the ROW hoop set I believe has mounting provisions for seat belts and it would give you your "open top" look.

You can also fit an internal cage mounted in the bed that would be completely under the hardtop and could mount the belts to that.

Me, I would run it with lap belts only, windscreen folded down and a pick up cab (can be removed in about 15minutes and stowed in the bed) and have the hardtop converted to a dormobile to with a lift gate for expedition use. www.expeditionlandrover.info (Teri Ann's website) shows her 109 regular with a dormobile top and I have always admired her truck (and her as she is a real trooper and very helpful and nice).

Ron

edit: there is nothing wrong IMHO with a stock 110 suspension or fixed rear windows. Sliders and a winch are nice, but if you are not hardcore and/or not going alone, you don't need them.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Doug- you are right and their opinion did not sway me in the end anyways. You were the one who said it is the most flexible model, and I tend to agree with you. There are many ways to go with it.

Ron- the boy sits in the middle seat with the lap belt. I have no seats in the rear, so it's wide open. If i went open top I would love to go with the setup in the attached photo, the gray one. (courtesy of Columbia Rovers ebay auction a while ago)

If I had about a hundred acres I would love to run it with the windshield down and just go around the property with all my friends trying to get it stuck on saturdays.

Teri Ann's website looks great and i love that truck. Dormobile would be a nice way to go. Like a Westfalia on steroids!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	27320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	27321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7316.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	27322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7470.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	27323  

Attached Images

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The columbia rovers one is a NAS Soft Top cage. $$$$ but you could run a badger half cab or just a bimini top with it. Someone here posted a white 110 with a similar set up. Hopefully the boy stays small as that seat is tight. You could fit forward facing jump seat or a NAS D90 ST bench seat in the back when he gets bigger. I am not sure that inward facing jump seat or bench would be comforable (or safe) for drives of any distances.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Safety Devices makes a cage that replaces the factory hoopset, might be one option to consider if you want a soft top and the safety of a cage

Page 6 of 7
http://www.safetydevices.com/images/...efender110.pdf
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:23 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Keep it the way it is. If anything, install a 3/4 bench seat in back for the kid. Get a 2A to run around in. At most try to find a truck cab top and use it as an open bed.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

another idea/version of a soft top 110

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/SummerRunner2.html

We have a customer looking to sell his PU top parts if you want to go that way.

off this truck (he is going 3 door):

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/148.html

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Interesting Mike. I will think about that. How much would the truck cab bits be worth? I really do love the Summer Runner version.

I do like the security that the hard top offers, but I could always put boxes in the back to lock up valuables.

I bought a set of 5 alloys. What size tires can I put on them?

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2010 09:33 AM ------

The other part of the tire question is that I have the NA diesel engine with lt77 etc. all stock gears. I don't want to go too big for my drivetrain, and I kinda like em tall and skinny. I have the 7.5r16 now and would like to go a bit bigger if I can. Does anyone know of issues with the freestyle alloys on row trucks? Spacers?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, door