100000K miles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 1st, 2005, 01:23 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

Question 100000K miles

I am looking at buying a d90 that has 104000K miles on it. can anyone give me an idea of how these trucks run after that many miles. I can't afford to buy something that is going to have a lot of problems. Any advice or comments would realy help me out. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2005, 01:46 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasD-90
...I can't afford to buy something that is going to have a lot of problems. Any advice or comments would realy help me out. thanks
Don't buy it, not because it has 100k+ miles. It's a Land Rover, they all have problems!
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:10 AM
David T
David T
04 Td5 Disco/98 Tdi Disco

I have a 110 County V8 and it has done over 550,000 kms (350K miles or thereabouts) .... regular maintenance and the odd larger repair bill doesn't mean you have to turn and walk away from it

Like any vehicle that is getting older problems can and do occur but to so do newer vehicles experience problems that can be more frustrating with their reliance on electronics and other wonderful "improvements"

Like a good wine ........as a Landy gets older it gets better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I am looking at buying a d90 that has 104000K miles on it. can anyone give me an idea of how these trucks run after that many miles. I can't afford to buy something that is going to have a lot of problems. Any advice or comments would realy help me out. thanks
Well, since 104,000K is 104,000,000 miles thats a little high for me. Just being a jerk, but thats 104k.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
If I was you I would defenetly shop arround a bit longer, check out Ebay...maybe !?
Good luck hunting .
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There is no logic in buying a D90, just emotion. If you buy it, expect to replace a crap load and keep dropping money into it. Period. It is a labor of love and if you don't feel strongly, then you will be sorely disappointed.

Directly to your question, it depends on how much has already been done to it. If it is still rather stock with just mild maintenance, expect to replace all the suspension bushings, possibly rust infected areas like the fuel tank skid, bottom of doors, floors and such, head gaskets and recoring the radiator. That should be about it, though, assuming it was not too beat up.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
I agree with Chris that owning a Land Rover is mostly emotional - - there is really very little logic to it. The vehicle is made for offroading, which it does exceedingly well, and is not particularly good on road, yet that is what it gets to do mostly. Nevertheless, if you are like most of us, you fend off your realistic, logical thoughts and just run on emotion. Heck, that's the bewst part of life anyway.

For me I would not necessarily be afraid of a higher mileage truck. It depends what kind of mileage it experienced (highway vs offroad) and how well the previous owner(s) kept it maintained. Some of these V8 Defenders can run for well up to 200,000 miles without serious troubles if you take care of them.

I now wish that instead of buying a low-mileage truck, I had sought a cheaper D-90 that was well maintained but had a tired engine. I would have used the money I saved to install a new diesel 300 Tdi, with some other upgrades and wound up with a fantastic truck that would be good for many years; but that is just me.

Good luck on your decision. Don't worry about waiting if you are not sure. Keep asking questions. We all know what you are going through.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Mileage is only a part of the equation. Say the owner spared no expense. Rebuilt the entire drivetrain with OEM parts, regular and frequent oil changes. Might be ok. You have to investigate it yourself.

You need to SEARCH the board for an idea of what can go wrong and what to look for when buying.

EwS
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:30 PM
Rover- Girl

OK...here it goes..
I got my D-90 on Ebay...there was NOTHING here localy 2 be had !!
I was NOT going to drive a Jeep !!!!
Found a D-90 on Ebay that I now have owned since last Nov.
Did I go out on a limb, YES...!!!
Well, not really, bought my 528I BMW on Ebay 3 years ago !!!
would I buy another D-90.... Ebay or other places...Hell yeah !!!!!!!!
I love my Defender more than I do the BMW.
I love the ruff ride, don't need no CD player or leather seats..
love the rumble of the engine....ok, i'm rambling
If you never had one, watch out..you'll get hooked !
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:53 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Agreed with all of the previous posts...these are very quirky and sometimes tempermental automobiles that will frustrate you to know end...if you are accustomed to having a car that is always serviced under warranty. Will things go wrong? Absolutely, and there is no way to really sugar coat that. However, I would definitely try to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and it's particular history. I usually keep very meticulous records of my vehicles and split the costs of servicing the vehicle prior to selling it...after the buyer has had it inspected. I would have the truck inspected and speak to the local service technician about any issues. That said, I don't see any problems with purchasing a high mileage vehicle as most of the Defenders out there will have higher miles. I would also be 100% sure that the Defender fits your lifestyle.

Peace,
Brian
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

The only problem with taking the time to realy look it over is that it is over 12 hours away. I am just trusting that the seller is telling me the truth. Is a 94 D-90 with a 104,000 miles on it for 16,500 a good deal. It seems cheaper than anything else, and I won't have to break the bank to do it. There will be a little money left for any problems or upgrades.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
The only problem with taking the time to realy look it over is that it is over 12 hours away. I am just trusting that the seller is telling me the truth. Is a 94 D-90 with a 104,000 miles on it for 16,500 a good deal. It seems cheaper than anything else, and I won't have to break the bank to do it. There will be a little money left for any problems or upgrades.
You don't buy a vehicle from an individual and asume he's telling you the truth !!!!
Get it inspected first !! Call any garage in the area of the Defenders location, have it picked up and inspected !!
The seller should be OK with this , unless he's got something to hide!!!
The garage will probable take it for a drive and give it a good lookover, then fax you
the inspection report or call you with what they have found.
This should not coast you more than well $ 150.-- to 200 bucks,
But don't never ever buy a vehicle on good faith alone!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

my d90 has 108K miles on it and it has held up pretty good, but I regularly maintain it at the dealer. with that many miles i'd recommend paying someone to look over the vehicle for you and give you a report. you can do that without driving out to see it yourself.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

16.5k is a relatively inexpensive price for a D90, but I would not drop that much money on someone elses word...I would definitely have it inspected and drive out and see it in person before buying. What state is it in?
Rob
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Absolutely, make the drive to see it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat