1.4 transfer case - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

1.4 transfer case

Can someone explain to me the difference between the 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6 transfer cases and how the diffefrence would effect the overall feel of the rover. I'm under the impression that the 1.4 t-case is like regearing to 4.11's without in terms of overall feel and performance.

Also, what rover's came with a 1.4 option and where would i go about sourcing one.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'll try to summarize, please someone else point out any errors in my generalizations.
The low ranges of each of those boxes is the same, so there is no difference in crawl ability between them.
1.2 boxes have the longest "legs" and are best suited for V8's and engines with power that can turn the higher ratios at road speeds.
1.4 boxes are supplied new with diesels, since the tdi's dont have the top end power of gas engines, but they do have the low end torque to easily turn the lower ratios.
1.6 boxes are I think just optional (not sure if they are supplied new on anything) and I would guess they'd be for vehicles that dont see much highway use.

I really dont know off the top what the "equivalencies" are based on final drive ratios and t-case ratios.
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Jim has it right.
The 1.6:1 boxes were used predominantly in military vehicles with NA diesels and some oddball 2 Liter ish MPI 4cyl Discoveries that were sold in certain markets (Italy?). They are not very common...I've only had a couple of them come through for rebuild. The last one went into a Discovery with 35" tires that the owner wanted to maintain the 3.54 R&P gears. RDS has new 1.6 boxes for sale.
The 1.4:1 boxes were used in the NAS D110's and a lot of other LR products behind TDIs. They are not really common in the US, but can be found. I swapped one into my NAS D90 with a set of GBR 4:1 low range gears. It has a slightly lower theoretical top speed but much improved power for trailer towing and maintaining highway speed at altitude. I love it...it was one of the best mods I've done. This was done before 4.10s were reliably available. 1.4:1 t-box gears give approximately the same overall gearing in high range as changing to 4.10 R&P gears. The advantage of regearing the t-box is that the inexpensive 3.54 R&P gears are retained and speedometer accuracy is not changed. The disadvantage of the 1.4 t-box gears is that it only changes high range...to get lower gearing in low range you need to fit the crawler low range gears or an underdrive. It really depends on your budget and your use of the vehicle. I have a 1.4 box that I will be rebuilding for stock as soon as I finish moving into my new shop.
The 1.2 boxes are the most common in the US and came in just about everything that Land Rover sold here with an LT230 transfer case. There are several versions of the 1.2 box depending on the year and application. The earliest sold in the US came in 1987 & 1988 RRC. They can be visually distinguished by the steel PTO cover and 4 pin switch on the hi/low shift housing. They used an early gearset with a 26 tooth input gear. The 1994-1995 D90s came with a 1.2 LT230T that was set up for a manual transmission as it had no interlock solenoid fitted. These used a newer gearset with a 28 tooth input gear. The early gears were not crossdrilled resulting in the spline wear issues that these trucks are known for. As a service fix LR introduced the oiling plate to direct oil to the splines and fixed the problem permanently with the introduction of the cross drilled input gears in late 1995/early 1996. The Discovery 1s with manual transmission used the same 1.2 t-box as the Defender. The automatic equipped Defenders (1997) and Discovery 1s (all years) used a 1.2 LT230 that had an interlock solenoid mounted on the box to lock the hi/low linkage in place to prevent the t-box being shifted unless the transmission was in neutral. This solenoid can be eliminated and the hole blanked off to allow this style of box to be used in a manual transmission application. In about 1997 the gears were changed again and the coarse gears of the LT230T were redesigned with the finer gears and the designation changed to the LT230Q. The basic 1.2 high range ratio was retained but the new input gears now sported 38 teeth instead of the previous 28 tooth configuration. These boxes were used until the introduction of the Discovery 2. The LT230 for the D2 changed a bit with some additional switches, no speedo drive, a larger front flange, solid spacer replaced the crush spacer on the intermediate shaft. Early D2s had no CDL but the t-boxes still had the parts installed but no linkage to actuate it. In about 2002 the CDL parts were removed and the front output casting was not machined for it. In 2003 the CDL function was introduced on some D2 models. Around this time the t-boxes became LT230SEs and appear to have a finer finish on the gears (almost polished).

You can call me at the shop if you have more detailed questions. I can build a 1.4 box with an interlock solenoid for the auto trans if you desire to keep that feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have a 1.4 that I am thinking of switching out for a 1.2. If I decide to do it, I will give you first opportunity Joe.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Rob, I'll give you a call if you don;t mind to pick your brain a little more. David, keep me posted on your switch. BTW - I still need to pick up that 3-link and give you a call. Just need to get off my ass and get down to SG to pick it up.

Joe
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sweet dude,

I am ready for you. Garage is clean and I even have a spare set of jacks!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

lol - i'll call Mary this week.

Follow-up Post:

Any paticular beer that you are fond of.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Joe,
Try and call Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm about to move into a bigger shop (with lifts!) and will have the phone down for at least a couple of days in June.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Great explanation, Roadsiderob. Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

So did the Disco 1's go through '98?
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

The reason I ask is that I found a LT230 out of a '95 disco (auto trans) that I want to use in our 95 defender (R380 manual trans). Will it work? Is this the case where I have to pull the solenoid off the top?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
transfer case