Who's going to Overland Expo 2014 in May? - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 21st, 2014, 11:50 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
I to really enjoyed meeting everybody. My favorite line from dinner was "I bought wood in Las Vegas." Priceless. Safe trip home, be glad you missed the fire now burning up the canyon from Sedona, sky the color of Mars and everywhere smells like a campfire.
Till next time.. Overland Expo East? ..!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:02 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Well it won't be so clean next week. Got to go to Black Rock Desert tomorrow or Friday, considering the 12 hour drive, I may take the Range Rover instead haven't decided. My wife is edgy with the fire burning to the south heading our way. She may want it to stuff with everything. Already evacuated Cachina Village down I17 a bit. They are moving 15 more Hot Shot units in tomorrow. I may have to canx the trip if they don't get a handle on it tomorrow.

The winch looked better than the original, besides it may actually work. I'll wave when I pass over in two weeks. A buddy is giving me his Bonanza for the summer. He has no medical and its just sitting (not good for them). Unfortunately I have to go to Miami to get it. Bonanza's are just not my style, but it will get me back and forth from Mexico a lot quicker. I think his plan is for me to fix all the little things wrong with it. Gads I am a sucker.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Still on the road (and loving every minute of it)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:04 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I got home last night and discovered Jeff's Portlandia prank. Every egg has a name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-907686536.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	95589  
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Nice photos! Man do I wish I could have stayed for the remainder of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:32 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Pictures from the Expo

""

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/Ca...Brett/library/

oops..fixed it.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I just showed up on the FCC amateur radio database! KM4BOR. Now I need more gear.

Big THANK YOU to Ed, who saved me from buying a replacement T-case through a mis-diagnosis. What I thought was a failed front output shaft bearing, but ended up being a failed center bearing in my GBR driveshaft. $135 and an hour in Flagstaff had fresh set of u joints and smooth sailing back home. I also learned that it has it's own grease point and what a needle grease gun adapter is.

And BTW, Everybody should have their own Briggs when they go camping. He is a tireless, selfless camp whore/sherpa/porter/jester/bartender.

Biggest lesson learned on the trip? hmmm 1) put awning away when it's going to be very windy 2) stake your shitter tent down if it's going to be windy. you don't want any of that blowing over 3) know where all your grease points are...all of them.

pics to follow once I get them off my phone.

And Thank you so much Snell. He shared one of his secret spots with me, and it was F'ng awesome.

------ Follow up post added May 23rd, 2014 09:45 PM ------

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:48 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I just showed up on the FCC amateur radio database! KM4BOR. Now I need more gear.
Congrats, that's awesome. Did they have a Tech study session and exam at OE?

That's an awesome callsign, too. Time to score an Icom 706 MkIIG on eBay for the 110.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
no study, just testing. I studied prior to arrival. They recommended the Yaesu 857 as VHF/HF combo. I intend to get my general and be able to do HF. how does that compare to the Icom 706?

Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I love the 857, too. You can't go wrong with any Icom or Yaesu radio.

I run the 706 because I think it matches the ęsthetics of the Defender well. I also run one of these T3-301 self-contained APRS tracker radios for APRS stuffed in the side of the tub.

Ham radio is a blast. Next time you're down in the area by the campsite, let me know beforehand and I'll call you over IRLP and the SDARC repeaters.

/
/
/
/
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

"And BTW, Everybody should have their own Briggs when they go camping. He is a tireless, selfless camp whore/sherpa/porter/jester/bartender."

Thanks for saying that. I was trying to put to words what it was like to know Jeff - what I came up with was he is like having another really cool brother. Rock on Mr. Briggs
Old May 24th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
"And BTW, Everybody should have their own Briggs when they go camping."
Couldn't agree more! Good friend and fantastic co-pilot the whole trip.

------ Follow up post added May 24th, 2014 06:49 AM ------

Home at last - awesome travels

A few field expedient repairs to address small issues that popped up during the trip - otherwise nothing but joy and adventure the last two weeks.

14 days and 3746 miles of byway, hiway, forest roads, mining trails, and dirt tracks led from Gig Harbor, through Portland, Auburn CA, into the Nevada desert, and eventually up onto the Mogollon Rim and the Overland Expo.
Our return route saw us visiting Sedona, Jerome, Prescott, Congress, Salome, and eventually our of Arizona and into the California Desert with a night near the Palm Oasis in Joshua Tree. Into and through the rugged streets of Los Angeles, and up the southern coast to a night on the beach in the Oceana Dunes.
The coastal route took us through San Francisco and up the wind swept cliffs in the Headlands north of the Golden Gate. We diverted inland briefly into wine country along the Russian River.
The next day had us weaving in and out of the coastal redwoods, along river trails, log bridges, and mist shrouded shores. A quiet night amongst the tall trees and we hustled up the Oregon coast, haystacks peeking out of the thick fog and light rain until we turned inland and jetted up the highway into Portland and then home.

Old May 28th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Mark, I received my hose with my "Bob Vila" grass seed! lol! it's the hose that grows!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	95820  
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Mark, I received my hose with my "Bob Vila" grass seed! lol! it's the hose that grows!
you are the deal master! thanks for reminder!

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

do that solenoid post, my RRC has the same winch and I need spares for the next time I winch up a 4/5' ledge and burn it up!
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
do that solenoid post, my RRC has the same winch and I need spares for the next time I winch up a 4/5' ledge and burn it up!
I tested all your solenoids and they were all working correctly with no resistance when activated across the posts! I think you had a bad ground that caused your overheating issue.

there's nothhing to replacing the solenoids. It's a standard part. you can buy them here in singles, pairs or all 4. it's a standard relay type.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3579-4...6-smr6005.aspx

I have to get a new pos battery lead for it before I put it back in. My leads were 1 awg which are too big. the Warn cable is 2 awg. wasn't an issue with the external relay box.

Old May 28th, 2014, 03:48 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Too funny I was just talking about those, very curious if it actually works well as I hate normal hoses
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just starting to run through the photos - some really good stuff from a great trip.

Name:	P1050507.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	95902
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Just starting to run through the photos - some really good stuff from a great trip.
Attachment 95902
Great pic!
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here's one from the Broken Hills abandoned mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1050934.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	95953  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events