Vot ? - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Bill, nice write up. You guys had the spirit of the thing thats for sure. Nice to see you out this way again......and please come on back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Great write up Bill and happy I could help in any small way, the enthusiasm your team showed no matter how much adversity you guys had going on was astounding.
r-
Ray
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Post VOT
This is my take on the Vermont Overland Trophy

First and foremost I had an amazing time. The event was far better than expected. But that doesn't help anybody reading this trying to plan for next year so let's dig into the VOT and see what the event was truly like.

The VOT is one of the most interesting events I have ever been to. In my opinion it was 2 events combined into one.
Part 1 An overland trip through scenic VT
Part 2 multiple Camel Trophy inspired challenges spread across 4 days

Lets start with part 1 the more prominent portion of the event. This aspect was full-on overland. The constant point A to point B carrying all of your equipment and setting up camp day after day in any environment was fantastic. There is something very satisfying about setting up a camp site in the middle of nowhere and hearing the first piece of meat sizzle as it hits the hot grill. Keeping with the overland theme the organizers allowed plenty of time for stoping at local venues to soak in the unique VT culture and history. I am still craving some of the Pizza we had on day 4. If the Overlanding portion was all VOT was intended to provide then the organizing crew should consider the event a success.

Part 2 was more of an off road adventure. It was a smaller aspect of the event, but the one I think most people will remember for years to come. The VOT crew had multiple challenges on the route every day. They ranged from truck swallowing mud to technical driving up a slime covered river bed. The river bed was fantastic and I would have been content doing that the entire trip. In my opinion the challenge portions is when you truly learn about your teammates and your abilities. Spotting, rigging, winching but most of all smiling.

As you can see from this quick review we indeed had 2 different events and I believe that is why the feedback has been all over the road. Some people signed up for event 1 and others for event 2. I'm willing to bet most people walked away completely satisfied and wanting to do it again

Now to answer Peters question

MY BEST EXPERIENCE FROM 2013 VOT

Watching Dave " The Top Chef " drive Minty an 03 disco with open diffs , open Tcase and food for 300 to the top of mount mud pit.

MY WORST EXPERIENCE ABOUT 2013 VOT

Not having a defined winner of the event.

IF it was my choice and it is clearly not. I would have to say the Syncro team won the over landing portion of the event. The old hyperbole "they brought a knife to a gunfight" seems to describe this team quite well. Not only did they manage to get out in one piece they did it with style.

Just out of curiosity how many teams completed all off the challenges?
And out of all of those teams how many did not have any mechanical failure whatsoever? Yes this includes tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2013, 07:16 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Justin, I thought we decided that you decided that you won.

It would be awesome to have part of this be competitive but it also brings on a much larger responsibility and liability. It probably wouldnt ever happen. Competitive events generally require a sanctioning body to gain insurance. Then there would be a real tech inspection......roll cages....helmets......There are plenty of venues for actual racing or competition.

Personally I think Mr Vollers was brilliant in this regard. A fun event with some personal challenge and enough doubt at the end for us to flog each other for months (good natured).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM
hilltoppersx
Ed
93 RRC

i would have enjoyed the physical challenges and also a group challenge (build Peter a log cabin at the top of his land?), and of course a point system to determine a winner. I don't see the point in timing the release of trucks as there was no time kept on the other end, nor was it a race. Points should be based on the ability to help others, complete physical challenges and participation in the group challenge. I agree with the hitting the checkpoints and making camp by a certain time or you are eliminated. And ending on a Saturday is better, more people would have stuck around for the final dinner myself included if I could drive home on a Sunday instead of a Monday.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltoppersx View Post
And ending on a Saturday is better, more people would have stuck around for the final dinner myself included if I could drive home on a Sunday instead of a Monday.
There's been quite a bit of discussion on ExPo about making it during the middle of the week which would allow people to travel to/from on the weekends before/after the event. A good idea IMO
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Yeah I would have stayed the night Saturday and driven back Sunday as well.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:40 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Just keep in mind that while the format might change or technicalities ever so slightly, the event won't . The trails will be different, but similar. Start preparing for next year.

------ Follow up post added August 19th, 2013 10:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Bill, nice write up. You guys had the spirit of the thing thats for sure. Nice to see you out this way again......and please come on back.
.."and feed us".

Fixed it for you. Honestly you guys (combined L8) were great. Fun to camp at the top of the land both days with the L8 team. Hopefully more will join us there next year.

It was great to meet the folks here. Solid group that put in a tremendous effort. Ray and Rick, good to meet you both as well.

I knew when the night before the event started at Lillie Farm, when we were helping replace the clutch in the '86 d-90 at the base that this was going to be a good group.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events