URE!14 Uwharrie Rover Expedition! vs14.0 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old September 5th, 2017, 10:34 PM
stevenr
Steven Ratajczyk
1999 D1

URE!14 Uwharrie Rover Expedition! vs14.0

IT'S HERE... The official registration kick-off for URE!14.

This event will be held in the Uwharrie National Forest in Central North Carolina October 13-15, 2017. We certainly hope that you find all of the information needed in the link below, and that you have the opportunity to come out!

URE!14 Information and Registration

We hope you can join us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2017, 10:59 PM
stevenr
Steven Ratajczyk
1999 D1

I the event that you did not get an email from me about registration then:

A: send me an email at oldnorthstate@gmail.com so that I can add you to the mailing list

B: There has been a shit storm brewing out of the National Park service in regards to the camp ground. Below is some info that is necessary to mention in regards to this year's event.

Due to past issues with some groups, The forest service is taking the approach to return to a more strict monitoring of campground rules:

1. Main camping areas are gated off as A, B, and C. Each camp site can accommodate up to 50 people. Camping in the "open areas" is restricted and there is signage where you cannot camp.

2. Alcohol is forbidden in the campground and on National Forest land. The forest service reserves the right to check cups and open coolers if suspect and WILL fine if there is a violation.

3. Fires can only be made in the existing fire pits. There are a total of 6 permanent fire pits in the group camp ground. No "rock ring" pits are allowed. The only exception is an enclosed fire pit that can contain ashes and remain off of the ground.

4. There are a number of trash collection sites within the group camp. Once these are full, you MUST take your trash with you. It is forbidden to leave trash next to a collection site. ONSLRS as the event organizers WILL be fined if trash is left in the open.

Just a few more general items in regards to this year's event:

1. We are highly discouraging people from trailering in their vehicles. A tow rig, trailer, plus an off loaded Land Rover take up a considerable amount of space. We will set aside room for a small number of rigs and trailers. After that all other tow vehicles and trailers MUST be parked off-site from the group camp. Trailers cannot be parked alongside of Forest Service Roads. We recommend the Outpost for trailer parking.

2. Full size RV campers and large travel trailers are not permitted within the Badin Lake Group Camp Ground. Those will have to be set up at one of the RV specific campgrounds like Arrowhead. If this applies to you, then you will need to make your own arrangements with the Forest Service.

3. A registration is per vehicle in the group camp area. You can have up to 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 children per registration.

4. Tents should be set up so as not to restrict parking and should be behind the vehicle away from the road (where applicable).

5. Camping in the group camp is on a first come first served basis. Once available camping space is filled then camper will need to find sites out side of the Group Camp. A tent is needed to "hold" a space.

We apologize for these added stipulations, but due to the growth of the event, the size of the Badin Lake Group Camp where we hold our event, and the restrictions of the forest service, these rules are necessary.
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Can anyone say "mushroom.....mushroom"

Too early??
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC

So can they open the coolers (and check for alcohol) or just check in the coolers if they are open?
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:31 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

They were being pretty douchey in the spring. Not sure if they opened cooler but they did ticket and asked people about cup contents. Definitely have to keep it on the down low.... the kegs will not be making an appearance this time.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:08 AM
stevenr
Steven Ratajczyk
1999 D1

I was not there in the spring, but the CROC master has told me all about the experience. The officers (not just camp host) were opening coolers if they suspected alcohol in the group. They did write tickets to some folks and there was nearly a large incident due to a minor having alcohol. The people that got tickets were drinking out of YETI insulated cups.

------ Follow up post added September 6th, 2017 10:11 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
So can they open the coolers (and check for alcohol) or just check in the coolers if they are open?
See my post above, but yes, they were opening coolers. I do not know if I agree with this, but it is National Forest property and the rules do state no alcohol. I do not think they are just randomly opening coolers, but if there is suspicion, they have the authority... I believe. Not brushed up on my law, but not really going to fight it either.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:59 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

we were in Camp B in the spring and did not have any interactions with the Host or the police, which was good but Steve as you know CROC has moved over to the UROTC grounds.

Given the level of hostility towards (all) groups by the host and the NPS moving camp for a couple of years is something i would talk about with the Club board. Yeah, it will cost more but i seriously doubt it would impact attendance at all.

I do see some reasoning behind it (heard stories from last year of several other groups having some major issues in the GC) but if spring is was an indication... more people are going to start skipping the event as not worth the hassle.

just my 2 cents....

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:21 PM
stevenr
Steven Ratajczyk
1999 D1

Rob, I do know that CROC is moving to the Training Center. We will see what happens this year. Got to remember... We booked the camp sites at the end of October 2016. So we are committed for this year. about 5 years ago during the last major Government shut down, we had talked to Scott over at the UOTC and booked his property for a contingency plan as the National Forest Campgrounds were also affected by the shut down. At the time, everyone hated that idea as Scott has pretty strict rules for his property as well... plus no restroom or showering facilities. This is an option for us moving forward, but I do not think we could keep the $25 per family rate that we pride ourselves on.

The real issue is firepits and the potential of downsizing of the camping areas. I have been told that they have opened up camping to the grassy areas again, but no vehicles to be parked there. Still not sure what that means as of yet. As far as the alcohol... that has always been the rule.

Again, we just need to get through this year, see how it goes, and plan ahead from there.

Best,
-Steven
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:41 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Lots of talk of drinking, I always thought this was a Family Oriented event, had there been problems in the past?

Is it still a good event to bring the wife and 12 year old daughter to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:58 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Lots of talk of drinking, I always thought this was a Family Oriented event, had there been problems in the past?

Is it still a good event to bring the wife and 12 year old daughter to?

I'm kind of in the same boat. Thinking of taking the wife and 9 year old daughter to this. Also from Maryland btw.
Old September 7th, 2017, 04:05 PM
stevenr
Steven Ratajczyk
1999 D1

Dan and Scott, we tout this as a family event. The drinking issue is that at night around the campfire, some people like to have a beer or other libation. Well, there is a strict no alcohol policy issued by the National Forest. For years, people have gotten away with it, and now the Forest Service is cracking down and issuing fines to those that violate this rule.

Hope that helps.

Best,
-Steven
Old September 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
It is a very family friendly event. I am hoping to have the wife and kid with me if I can make work it out with my employer. Busy time for us so it may be a late friday night arrival.

Steven - With the campgrounds being shrunk, what about those with RTT and trailers? Is this becoming a more tent only affair?

I hate to see the event being negatively impacted by a few instances in the past. Its always been one i look forward to every year. The Old North State guys really do put on a great event.

We had a complaint from the Volunteer Ranger of a white 90 running him off the road. There were 4 white 90s wheeling together and we never saw the guy. I think he just went to camp and pointed at the first white truck he saw.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:34 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Steve, totally understand... let's see how it goes.

As far as kids go I bring both of my daughters (8 & 12) it's a great event.

My comments were geared to the general over zealous response of the host and local pd... our event is usually low key compared to other groups

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:14 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Registered and looking forward to my favorite event of the year. Even as a non-drinker I thought the rangers were being a bit overzealous last spring. For any who are wondering this is a great family oriented event at one of the best times of the year to enjoy some nice rides in the woods or just hang around camp and relax.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:04 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Thanks all for the perspective, we are really hoping to be able to make it. I've never been there. I'm more concerned about heavy handed or overzealous enforcement than I am about a few fellow enthusiasts enjoying a drink or two.

My Rover would have to be trailered though. How far is the outpost parking from the camping if we get pushed out there for tow rig and trailer parking?
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:15 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Its about 4 miles from the Outpost to the campground. Everybody winds up at the outpost several times a day anyway for gas, fried chicken, trail passes, and cell phone signal. You need to come on down Dan, haven't seen you in years. I think the last time was the MAR when you attempted to cover every square inch of your 109 in mud, inside and out, and damn near succeeded.
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:23 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Its about 4 miles from the Outpost to the campground. Everybody winds up at the outpost several times a day anyway for gas, fried chicken, trail passes, and cell phone signal. You need to come on down Dan, haven't seen you in years. I think the last time was the MAR when you attempted to cover every square inch of your 109 in mud, inside and out, and damn near succeeded.

It has been a while Jack. I'm trying my best to work out getting down there.
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
Thanks all for the perspective, we are really hoping to be able to make it. I've never been there. I'm more concerned about heavy handed or overzealous enforcement than I am about a few fellow enthusiasts enjoying a drink or two.

My Rover would have to be trailered though. How far is the outpost parking from the camping if we get pushed out there for tow rig and trailer parking?
Dan, I've been to this event several times.
I wouldnt hesitate to bring my wife and young daughter... it's a laid back event.
They have Saturday commitments all fall though.

You might find the trails a little too easy for your truck...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:44 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
You might find the trails a little too easy for your truck...

There is no such thing as too easy for me. I enjoy any time out in the woods and on the trails easy or hard. It would also give me a chance to get Windy start driving a bit.
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:36 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Maybe we could move the event to Savannah

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
expedition