UK Based Team Gigglepin, at King of the Hammers 2013 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Oh no Discovery Channel Personnel alert

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Getting close, Jim's closing in..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
He is in front by a good lead now. Remember, there is a 5 minute start separation between them.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
YEAH!!!! Go Team Gigglepin!!

That finish video was some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen!

Wow...totally made my day.

---

BTW what happened to Currie near the end?
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Awesome!

Did RHD defender's values just go up?
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:41 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Congratulations guys!
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Congrats to team Gigglepin 4x4!!
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I bet there is going to be a run on duel motored winches.

-Jeff
Yup and you know where to get them

So these guys are racing tomorrow too? Nuts!
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I saw footage earlier of the Rockware grand cherokee as well. I was a bit surprised as I thought his business was rover based (or rover looking anyway).
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:51 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Damn I'm stuck at work and can't watch! Go Team Gigglepin! Represent!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
And they DQed.... Oh well hopefully they do well in the big race.

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
For running hydro steering?
Yes and having competition compound tires.

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Just read over on D44 board they only do a safety check prior to the race, full inspection after.... seems arse about face & how come they didn't pick the full hydro up at that point anyway under safety ?

Eitherway.... bloody good run & show'd the Heeps what a real 4x4 is
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:59 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I am still impressed. I am sure they would still have won without the hydro steering and tires. It's just awesome to see a madly kitted defenderish thingy do well in a major us event.
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Cross posting from D44 board by simon_s :

Just to quell the fires a bit...

Just been to see Jim and co. They are all completely stoked at their performance today. Jim knew before he started the race that his car did not meet the regs re the hydro steering. The team wanted to race the EMC as they were here and wanted to make the most of their American adventure. Dave Cole gave them permission to race, saying that the steering would only be an issue 'if they won'. Well they did, and Jim told me he knew when he crossed the line that he probably would be disqualified. The team bear no ill will to the organizers, John Currie or anyone else.

Jim didn't know about the no sticky tires prior though.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
EMC Press release from Jim:
Quote:
We have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to come to King of the Hammers, and when the car was on its way out we had a conversation, "wouldn't it be great if we could have go at the Everymans Challenge" as our vehicle is pretty much a stock car, its road legal, so we asked Dave Cole and he gave us the nod, Yes we could run EMC. So here we are and we lined up at the back of the start line this morning. Before we started the race we were made aware that our hydraulic steering didn't really fit the rules, but we weren't too bothered as we were after wheel time, getting out there having some fun and getting more experience desert and rock racing. Dave said if you do win then expect a protest, to which we replied that we didn't expect to win.
We lined up at the back of the grid in 33rd and set off in hot pursuit of the cars in front of us.
The cars in front are amazing too, with both stock and 'modified' running, and a lot of them buggy-esque whislt retaining the silhouette of a stock car. We have the smallest wheelbase, the smallest engine, same size tyres, and we are running stock coil springs. We had a great race, and to be able to lock horns with the likes of John Currie, that was special, very special! We passed John finally during the last phases of the race up a sand hill and it was especially awesome to do so using our own designed and manufactured Gigglepin GP84 winch. A quote from the commentary was" both cars are stopped, wait Team gigglepin is now moving at 7mph" our team back at camp all shouted "they are winching!" says it all really!
We had caught John before pit 2a but we caught a rock and got a flat, and little beknown to us we were 200 yds from the pit we changed the tyre, where as we should have limped to the pt and got them to do it. This lost us a further 12 mins.
When we finished the race, Dave cole was the first one to come up and congratulate us. The first thing we asked was "Is this where we get disqualified?" we all had a laugh and a joke and carried on to the stage, a little while after the protests started coming in, so we went to discuss it with Dave. We learnt that there were also protests about our "sticky" tyres. We had no idea that they were illegal, and so as we were pulled on 2 accounts it was a no brainer that the title belonged to someone else and so we went up on stage and let the guys know. We relinquished our victory and passed it down to 2nd place John Currie. We have no hard feelings, as we have had an amazing time. Its great to be able to race against these guys, yes we didbn't conform but no one can take away from us what we have achieved.. we had parts during the build up where we didn't even think we would get to the start line, and many of the trails we raced today are virgin ground for us and we have shown what we can do.

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Willo
Will Overton
None

you missed a bit off, lol!

We have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to come to King of the Hammers, and when the car was on its way out we had a conversation, "wouldn't it be great if we could have go at the Everymans Challenge" as our vehicle is pretty much a stock car, its road legal, so we asked Dave Cole and he gave us the nod, Yes we could run EMC. So here we are and we lined up at the back of the start line this morning. Before we started the race we were made aware that our hydraulic steering didn't really fit the rules, but we weren't too bothered as we were after wheel time, getting out there having some fun and getting more experience desert and rock racing. Dave said if you do win then expect a protest, to which we replied that we didn't expect to win.
We lined up at the back of the grid in 33rd and set off in hot pursuit of the cars in front of us.
The cars in front are amazing too, with both stock and 'modified' running, and a lot of them buggy-esque whislt retaining the silhouette of a stock car. We have the smallest wheelbase, the smallest engine, same size tyres, and we are running stock coil springs. We had a great race, and to be able to lock horns with the likes of John Currie, that was special, very special! We passed John finally during the last phases of the race up a sand hill and it was especially awesome to do so using our own designed and manufactured Gigglepin GP84 winch. A quote from the commentary was" both cars are stopped, wait Team gigglepin is now moving at 7mph" our team back at camp all shouted "they are winching!" says it all really!
We had caught John before pit 2a but we caught a rock and got a flat, and little beknown to us we were 200 yds from the pit we changed the tyre, where as we should have limped to the pt and got them to do it. This lost us a further 12 mins.
When we finished the race, Dave cole was the first one to come up and congratulate us. The first thing we asked was "Is this where we get disqualified?" we all had a laugh and a joke and carried on to the stage, a little while after the protests started coming in, so we went to discuss it with Dave. We learnt that there were also protests about our "sticky" tyres. We had no idea that they were illegal, and so as we were pulled on 2 accounts it was a no brainer that the title belonged to someone else and so we went up on stage and let the guys know. We relinquished our victory and passed it down to 2nd place John Currie. We have no hard feelings, as we have had an amazing time. Its great to be able to race against these guys, yes we didbn't conform but no one can take away from us what we have achieved.. we had parts during the build up where we didn't even think we would get to the start line, and many of the trails we raced today are virgin ground for us and we have shown what we can do.

Tomorrow we will line up for King of the Hammers
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Do you have map link for today's race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Satellite tracking: http://vulcain.iritrack.net/irc/eviewer/EMC-2013/# <-- they are #69 to zoom on them

Direct link to the video feed in a pop out window : http://www.ustream.tv/ultra4/pop-out
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
So the start was at 8AM local, but there's no vid yet. The IRC site is about useless cz it doesn't tell you who is in which position.

1968 2A 88

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Do you have map link for today's race?
http://www.ustream.tv/ultra4
All their computers have crapped out and they only have feed from back door

1968 2A 88

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events