Trails in Stafford VA? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old December 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Trails in Stafford VA?

Alright, I found this over on ROAV:

-----------------------------
I have been shown a pipe line service trail in stafford by a fellow P38 owner and it was very fun and challenging. He broke an Axle shaft and i almost hydro locked mine. I wouldn't mind hitting this trail again if any one local wants to go. this is a link to a trail write up the guy i went w/ did on RangeRovers.net.

picasaweb.google.com/k...ePipeline#

www.rangerovers.net/fo...01#p198001
-----------------------------

Sent PM's to both the poster and the guy who posted the pics.

Anyone familiar with the "pipeline" in Stafford? Supposedly hit by Jeeps quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Carefull, sounds like you might be tresspassing driving that trail. The fines are pretty hefty too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

That's why I'm asking.

If it's owned by a local developer (where I think it is) there may be something we could work out. If it's owned by Dominion then it's a proposal for my county supervisor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If it's the same trail I think it is, I know of several people who wheeled it, and one that got caught. Hopefully RayG or Tony Brooks will chime in - I think Ray mentioned wheeling it.

Probably obvious, but most normal companies won't let you on their service trails because they don't want them torn up and it does carry an insurance liability. But more power to you if you can get it open so we can wheel it legally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

It's worth a shot as long as I don't draw undue attention to it and piss off the folks willing to take a risk.
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Not me, never been there. I assume Brian's the other P38 owner based off the pics?
r-
Ray
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Nobody going anywhere today.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

If it's in Stafford I don't know it. There was a set of (illegal) trails just past Triangle that look similar, but again, they're private.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Cory, that looks similar to one I have wheeled in the thonburg area,95 south exit 126 to rt1 south to massaponax church rd, left on massaponax church rd, cross over 95 makes your first left after the bridge (95 north will be on your left side now) and the road ends at the site... if you follow thru it takes about 1/2 a day to come back to route 17. lots of off camber situations, ponds, mud, creek, up hills, down hill. pontential for body damage. (it is the same road where MARTZ tour buses park)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Carlos, thanks. I was thinking of another trail. The one you mentioned is in Spotsy and looks to be pretty remote despite how close it is to 95.

Here's what I'm thinking. First right off 95 when heading West on Courthouse Road: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...10042&t=h&z=17

I've been mountain biking there and saw trucks there once. It's rough on a bike so I wouldn't risk it in a truck. It was original owned by the regional airport but they developed to the South instead.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
never been there, but just a few miles north on rt 1 at cardinal drive just behind prince william co police head quarters, lots of water to cross, about 1/4 mile then an up hill with wet tires just on the other side go down hill into a shallow but very muddy swamp cross the swamp into trails.
it has a number of entrances and exits, one more just off 4year trail another of benita fitzgerald drive.
you find many locals out there, quad and dirt bikes, jeeps, suzuki samurai a few toyotas etc.
seems that it is the favorite spot for them....

Follow-up Post:

some jeep guy mentioned the tank trails at quantico proving grounds with proper permission, but don't know if it's true and how or where to get permission.....
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I actually use to go to that school at the end of 4year trail way way way back in the day(you could race down US1 in the morning to school). Keep in mind that they use some of those trails for training. That's when there was nothing around there but trees.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

There's some trails on Quantico that you can get to from Lunga Park but from what I've seen they are now closed off to FBI training (FBI students running mainly). We hike the trails from time to time with the scouts. They also put up new gates at the far back gate (road to Manassas) because folks were driving around the single pole barrier.

I'll ask around and see if there's anything open. As long as the government's oh-so-bright color-coded alert system isn't high, you can go on base by showing an ID but if you're taking part in using any base facilities, it's best to go with a member. I doubt any ranges would be open with the risk of unexploded ordinance but there are many other trails on base.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
darn so I guess the jeep guy was not pulling my chain after all, I would love to go there sometime (quantico) but at this time my off road rig sits uninsured, untagged awaiting assembly of a new 4.6 and trans overhaul, and my 95lwb road rig just blew the trans on monday.... so if you guys were to take on one of those runs sadly I would have to miss it....
Due to the economy I have been in and out of 5 jobs in 3 years, laid off from two and three dead ends.. On that note I have not taken part of any wheeling parties in at least those 3 years. lol
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You are not allowed to 4 wheel anywhere on Quantico. Period.

Semper Fi!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
that has been my understanding all the time, then conversing with some jeep guy some time ago he tells me that him and his friends used to wheel the tank trails at the proving grounds with permission.
even during that time I kept on the belief that you could not wheel there, then this afternoon swaping info I read what you seen on the thread.... oh well.
I travel along rt610 and rt612 at least twice a week, every now and then you see equipment being mobilized between the base and the grounds on rt612 much more common 2 years ago, still prominent thou the maneuvers which take place, lots of heavy fire and the big guns... my inlaws house shakes and rattles from the contusion and makes me want to play the 1812 overture.
every now and then you see a chopper fly over the farm and if you are looking into the woods when traveling rt612 you may see ruts left behind by a hummvee just dissapearing into those woods.
there are some track marks on the road as if they have just traveled accross the road but you never see the tanks.
I'm sure it is a very unhospitable terrain for the any regular 4 wheeler, (if they ever allowed civilians in there) there would be lots of damaged rigs due to the terrain..lol
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Civilians in POV's, that's most likely the case. But there are trails as that's part of the training -- they were training with a tricked out Discovery just a few weeks ago. Base-by-base it just depends on the recreation available. The downside is on any DoD facility you have to go through rider/operator safety training even if you want to scoot around on a dirt bike.

Follow-up Post:

Here's more info on the trails specifically for 4x4's. It's called the SORT, the Severe Off-Road Track. They built these after I got out so I didn't see them. They are for official use only for sure which means that the only folks who could drive or ride along would be contractors, congressman or their staffers: http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...919/index_html

Follow-up Post:

Found it. They put it right under the powerlines.

Go here and scroll south to Widewater: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01255&t=h&z=20

Looks fun but we'll never get to hit it unless we develop a new truck and try to sell it to the military.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events