The Cove Campout, 2010 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

We do not use trail guides. Big Dogs uses them, but we do not. You run trails at your own risk when ever you want.

We have had good luck with night opps in the past. The Cove management asks us to be off trails by something like 10pm, but they've always allowed us to do a night run as a group as long as we're off the trails by 1am. However, it has not been a problem in the past to be out all night as long as you stayed away from the owners home (which is hard to find even if you know where it's at).

But late night runs are at the discretion of the Cove management, so I do not know what to tell everyone at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

will there be any Rover vendors at the Cove?
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Donaldson View Post
will there be any Rover vendors at the Cove?
I have not talked to anyone but Will Tillery. Will plans to hit the Cove after a quick trip to MAR on Thursday or Friday. Will is sponsoring a pig roast that we'll probably serve up Saturday after smoking the pig(s) all night starting Friday.

But I've heard rumors that Denny from Hard Creek is coming with the NC crew. I have not talked to Denny personally, though.

Also, Erik from Lucky 8 is rumored to be coming, as is Jordan from "Rovertym". Again, only rumors from others...

We're not doing the "vendor areas". I think that's bullshit anyway. Vendors should be allowed to come play, too, and not have to work the event stuck in a tent watching their shit. A vendor night would be okay if you have enough people to support it, but that's not what the Cove is about right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Dan,

I'll check with Denny and see what his plan is.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:18 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Just got Denny's registration. So I guess he's coming.

Denny and I may team up and fuck with some of the Yankee's coming.
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Isn't Denny from California ? Could have sworn thats what he told me as we were drinking his Ga moonshine last year @ 3 am but details of that evening are fuzzy.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Isn't Denny from California ? Could have sworn thats what he told me as we were drinking his Ga moonshine last year @ 3 am but details of that evening are fuzzy.
I don't know if he's from CA, but I would have never guessed that. He lives not far from a lot of my family in GA, and seems to have that Georgia peach style about him. I bet he eats grits for breakfast every morning with Maxwell House coffee.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

He was born and raised in Commifornia.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

I have never been to either but am leaning towards this one, The Cove, rather than MAR. I saw the website for the MAR trip and it looks like a 'jamboree' sort of site along a river with a few trails cut into the woods to serve to distract you and give you something else to do. Im leaning towards this as it is camping and what looks to be some good driving terrain (although Ill be sticking to the tamer stuff personally). Plus, its only a drive to Winchester vs. a good three or so hours drive south from NoVa. Another cool thing is that there will be a "recovery" demonstration which I would love to witness.

So, whats the total cost then? Im looking at the site and there is the $115 for registration and camping, plus $40 for a passenger, plus $20 per vehicle so if Im showing up with one other person, the total cost is $175?
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

If you come to the Cove be prepared to eat a lot of bacon.... sweet wonderful bacon. I will be bringing 14 pounds personally.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
If you come to the Cove be prepared to eat a lot of bacon.... sweet wonderful bacon. I will be bringing 14 pounds personally.
I went and hand picked the pig for the BBQ Saturday night. He's a 150-pounder on the hoof. I requested daily massages and beer be fed to him until he's killed September 30th. He'll then lay in a trough of delicious marinade until we throw him on the pit Friday night. It's going to go great with bacon.

Viggen,
Your math is correct. The $20 holds your spot. I'm not sure how many spots we got left, I need to count. We're at least half full, though.
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
I have never been to either but am leaning towards this one, The Cove, rather than MAR. I saw the website for the MAR trip and it looks like a 'jamboree' sort of site along a river with a few trails cut into the woods to serve to distract you and give you something else to do. Im leaning towards this as it is camping and what looks to be some good driving terrain (although Ill be sticking to the tamer stuff personally). Plus, its only a drive to Winchester vs. a good three or so hours drive south from NoVa. Another cool thing is that there will be a "recovery" demonstration which I would love to witness.

So, whats the total cost then? Im looking at the site and there is the $115 for registration and camping, plus $40 for a passenger, plus $20 per vehicle so if Im showing up with one other person, the total cost is $175?
I've never gone to a MAR either... even though Loic's been trying for the past 8 years.

The Cove is a great place to wheel, I've been there with my stock '03 Disco and had a lot of fun every single time.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
seems to have that Georgia peach style about him. I bet he eats grits for breakfast every morning with Maxwell House coffee.
Agreed. He's one funny guy-infinitely likeable.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I went and hand picked the pig for the BBQ Saturday night. He's a 150-pounder on the hoof. I requested daily massages and beer be fed to him until he's killed September 30th. He'll then lay in a trough of delicious marinade until we throw him on the pit Friday night. It's going to go great with bacon.

Viggen,
Your math is correct. The $20 holds your spot. I'm not sure how many spots we got left, I need to count. We're at least half full, though.
Great. I love meat with a side of more meat. Im currently bringing my Disco back up to speed with some much needed PM/ TLC and should be done by then. $175 isnt too bad. Ive never been to MAR but would like to at some point but will do it when its a bit improved I guess. Maybe next year. Even if COVE were $200 per entry and guest, its still much closer to me which is less spent on gas having to drive south of Richmond.

So, fire pits at the site? Itll be my first use of my tent which is awesome. Bring your own firewood Im assuming?
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
its still much closer to me which is less spent on gas having to drive south of Richmond.
South of Richmond ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:47 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:

So, fire pits at the site? Itll be my first use of my tent which is awesome. Bring your own firewood Im assuming?

Fire pit at every camp site. You can bring wood or gather it there. I think they sell some, too.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
South of Richmond ?
MAR= 3.5 hrs South
Cove= 60 mins West

Easy decision.

Dan, thanks for the info. Ill register this weekend. I better get on all the small things now to get the truck done.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
where is the cove on the map
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

980 Cove Road
Gore , Virginia 22637

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...nia+22637&z=16
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
MAR= 3.5 hrs South
Cove= 60 mins West

Was questioning your South of Richmond comment. Its across the James South East from Charlottesville in Buckingham County-Northwest of Richmond. You had Joel looking @ a map. Sure you'll have a blast @ the cove-roast pig sure sounds good.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events