the Alligator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

the Alligator

So, instead of throwing the latest rig on a trailer to head south to its new owner.....I decided to drive it (and its trailer) from Maine to Florida for a shakedown lol. Not wanting to waste an opportunity.....
Just happens that Id be going through Daytona at the same time as the world renown Alligator Enduro happens. Why not? just throw the KTM in the back and hit the races. Throw in the GNCC in Georgia the following weekend and we have an epic trip. The fact that the return will be in a rental car with a partially disassembled motorbike in the trunk
is just a mere inconvenience.
Sorry, wrong pic and I can't figure out how to edit that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1585.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	67823  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:25 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Thats the one I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1586.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	67824  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I don't think 2HP is enough to get the trailer up on plane.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:28 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

LOL. I know. It's the only practical place I can find to put it. The customer bought that on a visit up here and the realized it was a pain in the arse to carry.

I don't think the truck has enough power to keep up on plane . Going to be a long day.

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Think it'll sink first Matt!
Trailer looks good. Has to be one of yours.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Need..more..galvy...! Nice truck and trailer.

Semper Fi!
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
are you really driving Maine - Florida...or is your sarcasm this early in the morning wasted on me?
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:21 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

EPIC FAIL.

Yup, failure. Factory 300tdi rear tank push on fuel line fitting. Sucking air. Very complicated build hard to drop tank to access. Thankfully customer has a really good memory and recalls me mentioning the lack of field serviceability of this item (he could be just a nice man and fibbing to make me feel better, cause I dont remember that lol) , and was happy to pay the $1500 tow back to the shop for a fuel system upgrade, part of which is a custom deck plate over the fuel tank.

Naturally the guys I race with were baffled that I wasnt going to leave 200k worth of junk on the side of the road and rent a car, disassemble KTM to fit and get on with it......10MF......food, sex and dirt bikes. Very limited sympathy for Land Rover escapades.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
So... the customer had to foot the tow bill even though the project broke down during delivery?

Just curious, as I've never had a 200k project built for me and I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything...I'm sure these details are discussed with the customers beforehand.

Also, do you have to get some kind of special trip insurance in case some whack-job were to wipe out your truck on 95 during delivery of finished project?

Nice looking combo BTW.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Matt.. I am curious about your riding, do you do any casual rides! I am always looking for people to ride with and have been playing with the idea of a turkey run or hare scramble, something I am unsure of how to get started. Most of the guys I find who have bikes are half my age and ride unregistered on power lines etc.. that's not interesting to me especially here in MA. It might be neat to get a group of LR's guys together now the weather is agreeable.
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Awsome looking job! Where in Florida is that truck going?
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:18 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Customer offered to pay the bill as he felt I had made a point earlier about something that did end up being an issue.
I ride hare scrambles and enduros. Bike is street legal. Lookup NETRA (NEW ENGLAND TRAIL RIDERS). All you need to know.
Truck is going to a ranch in mid west coast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events