Texas to Alaska - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 31st, 2014, 12:04 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Texas to Alaska

So this summer I'm planning to take my 15 yo son on expedition to Alaska. My thought is to drive to Skagway and load up on the ferry and boat over to Bellingham, Wa. and then finish the drive back.

Looking for information/experience on this...seems pretty straight forward but I have no experience with transport of my D90 and expedition trailer on a ferry.

This is the service I'm planning to use. https://www.ferrytravel.com/home.htm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2014, 12:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Nothing much to know. Just drive on and park.

It is a great area to go in the summer. Plan for a lot of time. There is never enough. Make sure you understand how long it will take to get there. It is a LONG way.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM
ruggedalaskaman
Frank
1995 NAS D-90 #375

Registry
I have made the drive many times without any issues. As stated, just drive on and drive off....there will be many larger vehicles than a D-90 w/trailer on the boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2014, 12:30 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

So far I've planned 16 days there and 16 back. I think the ferry is 4 days on top of that. My total rig is 26' long. I have it all calculated out down to the fuel up's. Hitting Mount Rushmore on the way up and Yellow Stone on the way back. Planned for only 7 hours of drive time a day...I have a buffer week on the back end if I need it.
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is a lot to see there and during the drive. It will be tough to decide how much time to spend in each place. You could drop weeks in Yukon and Alaska easily. What is your current planned route up? I could offer some advice on the BC or Alberta section.

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:01 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

385 out of Amarillo to Mount Rushmore, cut over through Billings, Great Falls then get on 15 to Edmonton and hang a left on 43/97 to Skagway...
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:09 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When are you going? I'll be up three time this year on Rally planning trips.
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:13 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

We leave fathers day.
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you head up through the mountains instead of highway 2, you will have a much nicer time without tacking on any miles or much time delay. Hwy 22 to Hwy 1, 93, 16, 40 to Grande Prairie. Very beautiful. Hwy 2 is in the prairie with everyone driving 80.

http://goo.gl/maps/DUmIR

Once up north, I would plan at least some time in and around Dawson if not doing the full on Alaska.

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:23 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

As they say, just do it! Have done it on motorcycle and via Rover, and agree on take the time when it feels like you should. I took my Dad up there back in the 80's and it is still some of my best memories. Hard to describe the magnitude of area, and as such- carry plenty of spares and food/water as there are some long lonely stretches- and watch the truckers...
Enjoy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I actually considered that route. I planned to stick to a major route but as time allowed to deviate and have several planned alternatives.
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It won't take you any longer and it is orders of magnitude nicer. Highway 2 from Lethbridge to Edmonton should not be driven by anyone unless you are forced to do it.

I might even add to take highway 1a instead of highway 1.

In June, the drive up 93 and 40 is unmatched for scenery.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g65...s.Parkway.html

Old January 31st, 2014, 02:24 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Bill you should plan a trip to Dawson city while your at it neat place with lots of history . Head to Valdez take ferry over to Whittier the Prince William Sound is spectacular in June , plus the 2.3 mile tunnel drive is very cool for kids . Then head south to Homer camp on the beach drive over to Seward then up into Anchorage . I can meet you at some point loan you a rover to do some off-roading if you like . Feel free to keep my number and 907-350-0122 . Look up Kennicott mine worth the drive . Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 31st, 2014, 03:04 PM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
If need a place to stay over or tinker on truck, have a hobby shop with lift and studio in Billings, your more than welcome too. Between Denver and Spokane no dealers and few knowledgable shops.
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Thanks Ed...the original plan was to go to Anchorage but, I've been there before and want something a little different plus going to Skagway allows me to see that area in the day and I haven't had the pleasure.

I'll have my D90 and all of my gear for any off road opportunities, I'll keep your info and ring you up all the same. who knows what'll change between now and then!
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:06 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Some really good advice so far! Definitely hit the smaller roads since the scenery is usally better and the speed of traffic will work with your 90 well - they usually don't add many miles if you plan them out. We've made the drive about 7 times (once on a motorcycle and once in our 110) and I've flown it a lot too - I always look forward to doing it again! Sounds like you have your time planned well, but having your spare week will probably come in handy since there's a LOT to see along the way and while in Alaska! Don't rush at all...You'll definitely make some great memories!

Ed's trip advice is great, since those locations are perfect for your 90 and will probably be some of the most memorable places you see while up here! Be sure to bring at least 2 camers (a small one you'll always have with you, and a really good zoom for those special shots) since the scenery is incredible and you'll want LOTS of photos!!

At some point in the drive (usually about half way), you'll say to yourself "holy crap, what the hell am I doing out here", since you'll realize how far you REALLY are away from home and your normal enviornment!! It's actually pretty cool!

Be sure to do a trip thread (during or after) since we'll definitely want to see the outcome!!
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Digging the nod to lav on his bday. Good luck with the trip
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:18 PM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Bill... sounds like a great trip. We are hitting Rushmore in June (just before you). You mentioned Yellowstone on the return trip -- Not sure of the route that you will enter the park (North or West Yellowstone); however, time allowing, you might want to consider exiting the south entrance and stopping in Jackson, WY. The views of the Grand Tetons/Snake River from the south entrance to Jackson are amazing and a great location to get a picture of you two and your truck.

Jason
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

On the way back we'll take 90 from Bellingham, Wa. and drop in the North side of YS. Jackson is on the list. There is a national park on the north end of Utah I'm interested in also...thinking about hitting that also.
Old January 31st, 2014, 05:03 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Bill - so this is why you're not available for the beekeeping class until August? C'mon man - BEES!

It sounds like a great trip - I hope when my son is old enough to travel distances in a few years the family can take a trip like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events