Texas Rovers 2010 SCARR Event April 15 - 18th 2010 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Texas Rovers 2010 SCARR Event April 15 - 18th 2010

Save The Date!!
The Texas Rovers are pleased to announce the dates for the 2010 South Central Area Rover Rally (SCARR) event, April 15th - 18th 2010 at Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls, Texas.

We will be posting updates, request for volunteers, answering questions, etc in the SCARR 2010 section of the Texas Rovers website (http://www.texasrovers.org/e107_plug...ewforum.php?38) so please keep checking in!

We look forward to seeing everyone in April!!

~Chris & Staci

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Update: The SCARR event venue has been changed to Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

That's a bummer, a lot farther away from Arkansas. Was hoping to actually make it this year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We realized that the venue change would inconvenience some people but in the bigger picture, we made a choice we feel best serves the rally and its participants. Here is what we posted regarding the venue change:

Quote:
There has been much discussion over the past few months regarding the deteriorating conditions up at Barnwell Mountain, not only on various off-roading clubs forums, but also from first hand discussions with fellow off-roaders themselves, who had been up to the park recently. The amount of conflicting information regarding conditions, generated two large concern in regards to the 2010 SCARR event. The first being exactly what conditions the novice/beginner trails were in, and second, if they were in fact as bad as people were saying, when, or if, repairs to those trails might happen.

Taking advantage of the Thanksgiving weekend run at Barnwell, Staci and I joined other Texas Rovers members, as well as a number of the clubs leadership to see first hand, the conditions at the park. Christopher had also arranged a meeting with some members of the board to discuss the issue if we felt that the stories of the trail conditions we had heard, had merit.

We found that there was in fact trail closures, although it seemed to be advanced trails, but we also saw first hand that the novice trails, while open, had issues somewhere along the trails that we felt were too aggressive and/or could potentially lead to unnecessary damage for novice/beginner drivers. Our follow up discussions with management and the BOD members, resulted in no promising news that the repairs to even the novice trails would take place before the SCARR event.

Since the the SCARR event not only aims to bring Land Rover owners together, it also brings out a large number of novice and beginner drivers and families to join in the event. It was felt that with no assurance from Barnwell, that at minimum the beginner trails would be addressed in time for SCARR, that another venue for the event needed to be considered. After some in depth discussions, it was decided that the 2010 SCARR event should be held at Hidden Falls Adventure Park located in Marble Falls, Texas.

Over the past few years since it opened, Texas Rovers leadership members have talked with the management at Hidden Falls Adventure Park about the possibility of holding a SCARR event on the property if the parks infrastructure was brought up enough to support the event. As the park has grown, so have the accommodations to now host an event like SCARR including things like an enclosed pavilion that can seat 500 people, shower and bathroom facilities, primitive camping areas large enough for everyone, full hook up pads for RVs, additional camp sites with power and water, and an ever growing trail system to keep all range of drivers entertained and challenged, including a 13 mile beginner course that the Austin chapter club members already helped create through out the entire property earlier this year.

While Texas Rovers fully appreciates the wonderful relationship it maintains with Barnwell, especially with the yearly SCARR event, our main concerns for maintaining/providing a fun and safe event for all levels of attendees, could not be satisfied in time to commit for the event and the decision was made to move the event to another venue.

As in past years, full details for the event will be made available January 1st 2010.

Quote:
[/size]
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover
That's a bummer, a lot farther away from Arkansas. Was hoping to actually make it this year...
Oh, it ain't that far. It's worth it. Trust me.

I've done Little Rock to Austin several times. It's all interstate.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

The driving isn't the thing. I have 3 small kids... a 3 hr trip would mean I could bring them, not so with the longer trip. I am sure it is the best thing for the event. Maybe I can still pull it off.
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:42 AM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover
The driving isn't the thing. I have 3 small kids... a 3 hr trip would mean I could bring them, not so with the longer trip. I am sure it is the best thing for the event. Maybe I can still pull it off.
This summer I had to start making 12-13 hour long road trips with my 10 yr old and 4 yr old. Portable dvd players and snacks are your friend!!!
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

No. Benadryl helps with kids in long trips. :-)
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Happy New Year! Registration for SCARR 2010 is now open. Please visit http://scarr.texasrovers.org/ to get all the info and register!

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Quote:
[/size]
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Any from the forum coming? I know a bunch of folks from the East Coast from DiscoWeb are making the trek.

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm going and taking my truck for the first time. I wish it was more of a road trip for me...only about an hour and a half up the road. ;-)

Chris, do you have definitive word on the dogs issue yet?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm going and taking my truck for the first time. I wish it was more of a road trip for me...only about an hour and a half up the road. ;-)

Chris, do you have definitive word on the dogs issue yet?
Since we aren't closing the park down it is the park's rules on dogs, and they are allowed.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:14 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Sweet. Just submitted my registration. I'm going to head up on Thursday and hopefully secure a little chuckwagon circle for the STR boys on the outskirts of the area. We can get a bit rowdy.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Very cool! That should be no problem since the park is not open generally to the public Thursday and most of Friday, so for SCARR attendees getting an area set up should not be a problem. It shouldn't be a problem what ever time anyone shows up... the main camping area is so huge, there will plenty of room for every one.

.. just as an addition to what Staci said, we were planning on allowing dogs again this year regardless of where the event was held.

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Chris, that is awesome.

You'll have to drop by our camp. We're going to do it up right this year with the food and booze.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Excellent, I'll defiantly be glad to hang out!

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

So can I come if I don't drive a Land Rover? I have had many in the past if that helps. But at the moment I am Land Roverless.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Unfortunately the insurance coverage for the event limits vehicle registrations to Land Rovers only.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Only 42 truck repair days left until SCARR 2010!

Just a reminder that the last day for early registration is coming up next week on Thursday March 11th! After that the price for registration will go up $35.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So, who else from here is coming?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
event