Tech/mechanic support in Europe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:03 AM
alum550
Ozzie
78 Santana (6 cyl diesel)

Tech/mechanic support in Europe

Hello All, my name is Ozzie and I am not much of a regular on this forum. I import and export European and other odd 4x4 vehicles in the US. Tampa, FL. since 1992. I will for the first time be taking a long European road trip with my family (wife and two kids 16 and 17) I will be taking a 2002 Defender 110 and although I don't expect mechanical problems I will be traveling a long way and hope to have some points of contact/reference along the way in the event of mechanical or other emergencies on the road. I will be traveling through lower Europe from Spain to the Black sea(Barcelona, France, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria) and returning to Barcelona via Romania, Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Nantes and back to Barcelona.
Any advise or contacts you can provide would be super appreciated and helpful. I imagine/hope there are some Land Rover mechanics along the way that can help with service should we need it.
Also we plan to stay mostly in Hostels and avoid expensive hotels at all cost. If you have recommendations for Hostels or Bed and breakfast type places we welcome those too.
Thank you very much in advance, my number is 813-655-8470
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
I went to the Land Rover site and printed out the dealer locations in all the Countries we visit on trips.
Old May 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM
alum550
Ozzie

Thank you for the suggestion. We have done that! was hoping for the small town shops that are more willing to help someone than the big dealer shops. not to mention, lots of the areas we are traveling through dont show a dealer within 200-300 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2015, 06:56 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I'd get the list of European Land Rover euthusiast Facebook groups, a 4G cellphone that will work in Europe. This should be all you need these days. You will be able to post a "help" note and likely get a lot of folks chime in. Locals will be very friendly where you will be driving and will direct you to the crazy LR owner living close by! unless you are really short in time, I would not sweat it.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:07 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
It goes without saying, yet, I will anyhow. Get the Rover ready for the trip. Make sure everything is proper before heading out. Filters changed, etc.. Although there are a fair amount of Rovers, they're not exactly a common vehicle here. Assume it is a diesel which many vehicles are so the basic knowledge will be available in the larger towns. Take a workshop manual with you. And enjoy the trip.
Old May 31st, 2015, 08:45 AM
alum550
Ozzie

Thank you, I've had the ruck serviced and will have a tool box of my own, It's just good to know that if the SHTF on the road I have someone more familiar with these trucks and maybe access to parts to lend a hand. In any case, this may be a not so necessary precaution, but traveling with wife and kids, I'd rather be overprepared. Thanks again for the thoughts and time it takes to respond.
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That's a long damn trip. I live in Stuttgart, just north of the Black Forest along Autobahn 8. If you need something while you're in the Germany area, just drop a note.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 31st, 2015, 03:54 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
During summer time it will be a hot damn trip.
If you might change your challenges way into the North, you may hit Bremen, where I will support you in every situation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events