Story, pics, and a vid from yesterday's run, featuring CvC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Story, pics, and a vid from yesterday's run, featuring CvC

The local dealer is putting on a wheels event at the end of this month and they asked us in the Texas Rovers to help setup trails. Yesterday was our first workday at a new(to us) offroading spot. It's been fairly popular with motocross for a while and they just started to let 4x4s use the property. We went out with a dozen guys, 1/2 dozen trucks, and assorted chainsaws, etc.
Since it's a dealer event we need to make sure the trails are runnable by everything in the Land Rover stable. We brought along a new LR3 to help with establishing lines. We also had CvC's 90, a 110, a DII, a P38, and new Rangie. Sadly, I can't drive due to wrist issues so my 90 stayed at home and I got to ride bitch with Chris and take pics.
The ranch has lots of potential and was a lot more challenging then we needed for a wheels event so that meant lots of digging and chainsawing to make the trails newbie(and paint) friendly. We finally established a good route and ran everyone through it fixing any issues with the lines. Afterwards we kept exploring a bit using Chris' truck as a guinea pig. That's usually my job but since I'm out of commission he got the task.

Highlights of his run included:
- All 5 wheels on the ground at once.
- Climbing 3 feet up a tree
- Hooking up to and pulling a rather large tree out of a ravine
- For the first time since I've wheeled with him, having to recover using his winch. (Mostly because I goaded him into trying to make it through that mudpit in the bottom of that ravine. )

Highlight of the day was the dealer's LR3 getting stuck in the middle of a mid pit. While stuck there, the driver rolled down his window to get help getting out. At that very moment one of the other guys from the dealer blasted by at 30MPH 3 feet from the side of the truck. The interior of the brand new LR3 got covered in very sticky, very smelly, very cold mud. It was on the inside of the windshield, pooled in the center console, covering the dash, and had dyed the headliner a nice shade of dark brown. The same with the driver. I'm glad I don't have to explain it to my boss tomorrow.

Promised vid of Chris. Short and sweet. Once I get a hold of others I'll post them up.

The rest of the pics can be found at: http://www.nnin.net/gallery2/defender/walnut1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02314.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	8432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02355.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	8433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02365.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	8434  
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
- For the first time since I've wheeled with him, having to recover using his winch. (Mostly because I goaded him into trying to make it through that mudpit in the bottom of that ravine. )
It was that or find a 4th door for the new hole that stump would have put into the side had we not winched out.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Added the picture I took yesterday as well as Ju's pictures from the previous weekend here:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11150

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events