Sort of hitting the trail... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old November 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
As far as I know, there isn't much out there. What route are you going? I would think you'd be better off getting a hotel in Lynchburg and then driving out to Arvonia in the morning.
I figured... I'm driving up from Greenville, SC, so as long as the route isn't too far off a normal course, I could manage... too bad I don't have a safari top... I'd just find a nice backroad somewhere in Arvonia...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2013, 06:50 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
En route... Too bad there's no hot spots on the way...
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

lots of gas money......

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2013, 06:58 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Safe travels, watch for deer...they are all over the roads.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:02 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Trying to tailgate the semis...
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Arrived a little early, so I'm taking in the scenery... Only filled up twice, so it wasn't terrible... I'll have to fill up again before I get back... The Defender was flawless... Still have to make the trip back, but I've enjoyed it so far.
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:16 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Got back yesterday at 6pm in one piece!! I am now the proud owner of a fiberglass (plastic?) hardtop! Thanks, Mike!!

Since this is the first time I've actually taken a lengthy trip in the Defender, I learned a lot from the trip...
  • You can get a speeding ticket in a Defender... 46 in a 35... and I was behind two other cars going the same speed... Thanks Virginia!!
  • WeBeCinYa, there were deer just standing around in the National Park I drove through...
  • I forgot my earplugs... never will again!
  • Mike M. in Virgina is an awesome guy! I enjoyed meeting him and checking out his Rover collection.
  • My Defender was randomly losing power for a split second... kinda like a hiccup... scared the crap out of me... could it be fuel filter? Ignition? Coil? I'm not the most technical guy with these things... It did it randomly going and coming back, and did it a couple of times on the way to work this morning... Help!
  • Pouring rain = getting wet
  • I love my Defender! Even though it was just a 700 mile trip on the highway, the Defender made it feel like an epic adventure.
I'm going to have the fiberglass top's sides gel coated consiton green (or similar) and the top gel coated white... I can't wait to get rid of this fastback soft top!
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd90 View Post
  • my defender was randomly losing power for a split second... Kinda like a hiccup... Scared the crap out of me... Could it be fuel filter? Ignition? Coil? I'm not the most technical guy with these things... It did it randomly going and coming back, and did it a couple of times on the way to work this morning... Help!
vss?
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
Got back yesterday at 6pm in one piece!! I am now the proud owner of a fiberglass (plastic?) hardtop! Thanks, Mike!!

Since this is the first time I've actually taken a lengthy trip in the Defender, I learned a lot from the trip...
  • You can get a speeding ticket in a Defender... 46 in a 35... and I was behind two other cars going the same speed... Thanks Virginia!!
  • WeBeCinYa, there were deer just standing around in the National Park I drove through...
  • I forgot my earplugs... never will again!
  • Mike M. in Virgina is an awesome guy! I enjoyed meeting him and checking out his Rover collection.
  • My Defender was randomly losing power for a split second... kinda like a hiccup... scared the crap out of me... could it be fuel filter? Ignition? Coil? I'm not the most technical guy with these things... It did it randomly going and coming back, and did it a couple of times on the way to work this morning... Help!
  • Pouring rain = getting wet
  • I love my Defender! Even though it was just a 700 mile trip on the highway, the Defender made it feel like an epic adventure.
I'm going to have the fiberglass top's sides gel coated consiton green (or similar) and the top gel coated white... I can't wait to get rid of this fastback soft top!

Not that this is a reason to become one, but being a Mason in Va. has it's advantages in that state. The two years I lived in Midloathian I was pulled over 4 times 15+ over on 360...no tickets! Brotherly love at it's finest! !! Same goes for Nc. They don't even stop you in Sc.
Old November 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_g View Post
vss?
vss?
Old November 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post

vss?
Vehicle Speed Sensor.
Old November 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I just took Josh's advice and searched... is that something that will leave me stranded? This thing is killing my wallet this month!

How does the VSS work? Does it use the speedometer, or is it a standalone type deal?
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:15 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
That top is going to look great with a coat of paint/gelcoat on it.. I vote limestone on the top, as opposed to white. Post pics when you can.

If its been rainy/wet it might just be an old diz cap or bad wires manifesting themselves in the humidity...

~Steve
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
That top is going to look great with a coat of paint/gelcoat on it.. I vote limestone on the top, as opposed to white. Post pics when you can.

If its been rainy/wet it might just be an old diz cap or bad wires manifesting themselves in the humidity...

~Steve
Aye... It's had a couple of violent hiccups... it's quick, like a millisecond, but it's a wake up call every time it happens... I'm going to rip the engine out in the next year or two. I've got oil/coolant leaks... debating on going with something more powerful... maybe a 4.6 or something even better.

I agree with you on limestone... Are the rubber seals for the windows readily available? I noticed that mine look dry rotted...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events