SCLR/NCLR Coyote Flat Trip 7/1-7/4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 21st, 2016, 02:02 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

SCLR/NCLR Coyote Flat Trip 7/1-7/4

For anyone in the area that wants to tag along, SCLR & NCLR are doing a joint trip up to Coyote Flat over the long 4th of July weekend. The plan is to meet up in Bishop on Friday drive up to the Flat and establish our campsite and maybe explore a little bit close to Camp. Saturday we will trek to the far corners or Coyote Flat and check out a few old mines & prospects and lakes that are in the area. Sunday morning a few of us from the group will be doing a day hike of couple of 13K peaks, with the rest of the group exploring the area more. Monday morning we'll break camp and head back down the hill to everyone's respective homes.

Here's a link to the SCLR calendar with more info and where you can sign up if you are interested in coming on the trip: https://sclr.org/calendar/event/461-...to-coyote-flat

Here's a few pics from the recon run I did of the area this past weekend:

Looking across the valleys where South Lake and Sabrina Lake are located, with the Sierra crest spreading as far as the eye can see..

Green lake with Vagabond peak being the high peak to the left.

End of the road at 11,600' with green lake below, 600' down the cliff behind us.

Looking south along Coyote Ridge

Funnel Lake

There be Badgers!!!

Long pano going from south to north with the Palisades, Inconsolable Range and Coyote Ridge visible.

The goals for our hike Sunday morning: Cloudripper on the Left and Vagabond Peak on the right.

View across the south end of the meadow to the Palisades and the Middle Pal & Norman Clyde Glaciers to the left and Mt. Sill sticking up from behind the ridgeline of Sky Haven. 5 of CA's 14,000' peaks are located in the Palisades.

Looking south across the meadow towards the campsite area nestled within the lodgepole & foxtail pines:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2016, 01:31 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Bump - Trip is this weekend for anyone local that would like to tag along. Meeting @ Vons in Bishop at Noon on Friday the 1st.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:05 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Unfortunately, I've already made plans for July 4th weekend, in Portland.
THis would be such a fun trip though... will look forward to other such trips in future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2016, 02:15 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Are most people coming down from the North for this? I live in Oceanside down south. According to Google Maps "Coyote Flat" is only about 2 hours from me, however bishop is 350+ miles.
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:32 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Are most people coming down from the North for this? I live in Oceanside down south. According to Google Maps "Coyote Flat" is only about 2 hours from me, however bishop is 350+ miles.
Doc -

Here's a Google Map link to the rendezvous point: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vo...4d-118.3913797

Most of the people on this trip are coming from SoCal. There are a couple from NCLR making the trek as well. I know 3 or 4 of the people attending are leaving from the South OC area.

One guy from Laguna Niguel is heading up Thrusday evening and getting a room in Bishop. I'm leaving from Pasadena early Friday morning, and it takes me 4 hours give or take to make it up there. If you want to join in on the trip and head up with one of the South OC guys, PM me your contact info and I'll see who's taking off from where and at what time and I'll see what I can coordinate. If not, you're welcome to caravan with me from the Pasadena area.

Cheers,

Jake

------ Follow up post added June 27th, 2016 12:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
Unfortunately, I've already made plans for July 4th weekend, in Portland.
THis would be such a fun trip though... will look forward to other such trips in future!
Nice have fun up north! There's another guy from the club coming up in his 97 NAS 90 as well, would have been neat to have two of them on the trip. We've got a varied group of trucks coming on this trip - a 90, some D1's, a D2, a few LR3's an L322 RR, a friend in his Early Bronco. Should be a great weekend. Cant wait to get back up there and check out a few of the roads I didn't get to see while I was up there doing recon.

Old June 27th, 2016, 03:56 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Doc -
Most of the people on this trip are coming from SoCal. There are a couple from NCLR making the trek as well. I know 3 or 4 of the people attending are leaving from the South OC area.

One guy from Laguna Niguel is heading up Thrusday evening and getting a room in Bishop. I'm leaving from Pasadena early Friday morning, and it takes me 4 hours give or take to make it up there. If you want to join in on the trip and head up with one of the South OC guys, PM me your contact info and I'll see who's taking off from where and at what time and I'll see what I can coordinate. If not, you're welcome to caravan with me from the Pasadena area.
When you say "up there" do you mean the rendezvous point in Bishop or Coyote Flat?

Google maps shows coyote flat is 30 miles from Pasadena. Are you driving 250 miles to bishop first and then coming all the way back down? I'm not sure that that my Defender is up for a 600+ mile trip before it even gets on the trails lol.
Old June 27th, 2016, 04:59 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
When you say "up there" do you mean the rendezvous point in Bishop or Coyote Flat?

Google maps shows coyote flat is 30 miles from Pasadena. Are you driving 250 miles to bishop first and then coming all the way back down? I'm not sure that that my Defender is up for a 600+ mile trip before it even gets on the trails lol.
Doc,

Lol.. No - we're not driving all the way up and then back down. Not sure which Coyote Flat you are pulling up on google maps, but the Coyote Flat we're going to is located in Inyo County about 15 miles due south-southwest from Bishop as the crow flies. Here's a google maps link to the center of the actual Flat : https://goo.gl/maps/UJLsYVSvqNU2

Everyone is going to rendezvous at the Vons in Bishop at noon, pick up any last minute supplies, fuel up and head out of town to the Flat where we will establish our base camp for the weekend.

Hope that cleared it up for you, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Cheers,

Jake

Old June 27th, 2016, 05:10 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Ah, ok, now I'm getting the right Coyote Flat. If you just openly type it into google maps, there's an open patch of grass in the forest about 30 miles east of Pasadena called Coyote Flat. Had me really confused lol
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:00 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
hey Jake, sent you a PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
trip