Rovers on the Rocks 3 - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old November 14th, 2011, 11:06 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I was just showing you guys what not to do. And driving from the back seat is harder than it looks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
It surprises me that the owner of this waterlogged rig is not even in the repair pictures! He must be keeping his hands warm somewhere else ....
Its probably better that Charles jumped in and just dove in with the "hey wahts the worst that can happen, it already doesn't run" approach. Pretty sure I was in back digging for the arb air chuck when that shot was snapped.

Is that Sal in the back of Charles truck in Jeff's first shot ? Way too much hair to be Galpin

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Great time for sure and thanks to those who helped/offered parts for my dying alternator. I ended up making it home on mine after a good bath in PB Blaster to keep everything moving but did get a spare from Trevor just in case! Trevor, I'll be contacting you later today or tomorrow about that one (hope that's ok!).

I'll try to get all of the photos uploaded later today or tomorrow but wanted to get a sampling out for all to see. Sorry Galpin but I couldn't resist but to show the photos of you stuck (twice) before going on to be champ at the challenge!
Great pics..looking forward to the rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm still a little confused as to what happened to our group(s) on Saturday. I headed out with Clay, Doug, Jorge and crew in the morning, then we met up with Kenny, Galpin, and everyone else at that boulder on the hill with that rotted stump next to it that Kenny was trying to get ove. We headed out from there with everyone as a large group, but when we slowed down behind Clay when he almost flopped, we soon realized everyone just sped ahead! We didn't realize we had been ditched until we got to the "intersection" of 10A/B.

I'll load up my pics tonight, including the black we did which clearly stated "Sharp Objects" on the sign.
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I'm still a little confused as to what happened to our group(s) on Saturday. I headed out with Clay, Doug, Jorge and crew in the morning, then we met up with Kenny, Galpin, and everyone else at that boulder on the hill with that rotted stump next to it that Kenny was trying to get ove. We headed out from there with everyone as a large group, but when we slowed down behind Clay when he almost flopped, we soon realized everyone just sped ahead! We didn't realize we had been ditched until we got to the "intersection" of 10A/B.

I'll load up my pics tonight, including the black we did which clearly stated "Sharp Objects" on the sign.
I was confused to.. I saw clay... he was right behind me... I looked back and everyone was gone.

Certainly nobody "sped" off. There were plenty of times I was sitting parked waiting for the other trucks in front of me to keep moving through. I was surprised you guys didn't catch up... remember we did have a STOCK truck with us.

As for the sign.... maybe it should be in front of the sharp object and not after

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2011 11:53 AM ------

Pictures & Videos: http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/ROTR%202011/

Note: Russell I stole some of your pictures for my library...Thanks
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
If it makes you feel better we did stop occaisionally to wonder where the heck the rest of our group was and waited a few times. Sorry you guys couldn't keep up with the big boys

Semper Fi!
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The Virginia DMV must be lurking in the background, ready to update personalized tags to something more appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charles.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	43695  
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The Virginia DMV must be lurking in the background, ready to update personalized tags to something more appropriate.
Nice

Semper Fi!
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Sorry you guys couldn't keep up with the big boys
Yeah, you guys treaded so lightly we couldn't even tell where in the Hell you guys went.

Razzing time. Wolf, after I saw you compete in the rock challenge, I just assumed you must have taken the loooooong way back out of the woods.

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2011 01:21 PM ------

Some sets from the NELRC crew.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6804272...th/6341667765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/global-...th/6341587608/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5034442...7628121039822/

http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/...20the%20rocks/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9978359...7627997380207/

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/a...ROTR%20111211/
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Razzing time. Wolf, after I saw you compete in the rock challenge, I just assumed you must have taken the loooooong way back out of the woods.
Holy crap, I know. Obviously you don't know what it's like trying to drive a school bus on the rock course. I have the turning radius of a limo. As soon as Justin guided my diff straight into a rock it was all over.

Semper Fi!
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Holy crap, I know. Obviously you don't know what it's like trying to drive a school bus on the rock course. I have the turning radius of a limo. As soon as Justin guided my diff straight into a rock it was all over.
Once you finally made that turn out there you were golden.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wolf run.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	43696  
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Once you finally made that turn out there you were golden.
It's all strategy. Sure, I missed a cone, but from way over they I could see the entire course.

Semper Fi!
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:51 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Does anyone know the total number of Land Rovers/people? There were 90's all over the place and even more Discos.
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Jeff, what's up with your clutch? I had to move your truck like 20 feet so I could get out Saturday night, and that was the heaviest clutch I've driven in a long time. Your left leg must be massive compared to your right, man!
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Jeff, what's up with your clutch? I had to move your truck like 20 feet so I could get out Saturday night, and that was the heaviest clutch I've driven in a long time. Your left leg must be massive compared to your right, man!
my clutch is almost gone but I have been stalling as I have to make the decision of whether or not to replace the LT77 (has 125K) at the same time...
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I only got 1 pic from Rausch Creek. From B trail. Pretty nice work, actually.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-625642429.png
Views:	122
Size:	855.3 KB
ID:	43701  
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Doug was plenty involved don't worry. We had done a fair amount of troubleshooting before this and the water coming out of the ECU was plenty evidence needed to open it up and dry it out. I've opened up 14cux ecu's before so considered it low risk. I could have stood around with my hands in my pockets, but why not help?

Yes that was Sal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Its probably better that Charles jumped in and just dove in with the "hey wahts the worst that can happen, it already doesn't run" approach. Pretty sure I was in back digging for the arb air chuck when that shot was snapped.

Is that Sal in the back of Charles truck in Jeff's first shot ? Way too much hair to be Galpin
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
As soon as Justin guided my diff straight into a rock it was all over.
I am sorry for that. I though you were going to go wide and when you cut in it was to late. Next year we will walk the course together and have a better plan.

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2011 07:27 PM ------

On behalf of Lucky8, “Thank you!” Thank you for attending the Annual Rovers on the Rocks event, we had our largest turnout ever! Also, thank you to everyone that competed on the rock course. This year’s competition was nothing less then spectacular.
Thank you to Trevor from Rover Lab for all of his hard work to get things organized.
Thank you to all of the NELRC members. With out your support we would never have had enough trail guides.
For many of you, this was your first time at a Lucky8 event. We hope you felt welcome and hope that you will make it back next year.

Justin

Please support those that make events like this possible

If you need Rover service in PA check out Rover Lab
http://www.roverlab.com/

For more info on The North East Land Rover Club and how to become a member
http://www.nelrc.com/
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivespddisco

I am sorry for that. I though you were going to go wide and when you cut in it was to late. Next year we will walk the course together and have a better plan.
Dude, no worries, I'm just shifting blame. Thanks for putting on a good event, and next year have a long wheelbase class.

Semper Fi!
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Here is a short clip my passenger put together of the Saturday morning ride led by Charles. Some good shots of project "Frank," IMO the coolest rig at ROTR, Jeff, and sound advice from Charles.

Thanks again to that group for leading this newbie through the trails so I could exit in one piece. Looking forward to armoring it up this winter and hitting the black stuff next year.
http://youtu.be/8vYnzA52pto

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events