ROAV @ the COVE - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
While his girl friend appeared furious, I'm sure if this had happened somewhere in rural PA on the side of the road, without folks with trailers, loaner trucks, and know how to diagnose it she would have been even more unhappy.
I'm still not totally convinced she didn't have something to do with this, actually. She was very happy to sit shotgun in the Disco and made full use of those heated seats.
You are absolutely correct though...had this happened anywhere else I would have been screwed and it would have been a much bigger problem than it ended up being. As it went, Randy gave me two options: "You can either attempt to drive it home in its current state and you WILL break down somewhere nowhere close to home on the side of the road at a speed that would make salvaging your engine unlikely, or I can trailer it to Roverlab for you and I'll fix you up with my Discovery." Gustavo also gave me an option: "If you don't pick the second one, you can start walking home now, and I will drive your girlfriend wherever she pleases."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Man, it used to be all a girl wanted was a man that could hold down a job....

LOL
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Now that you have shown her a disco with heated seats, auto trans, doors that seal, heat that works, sound deadening, as opposed to riding in your truck with a fume curtain. She may develop a thing for/against your defender-its happened to me.
How long was that walk ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Josh, that is what I am here for .... *LMAO*

Josh was walking those trails like a Pro, always picked the right lane, gentle on the skinny and when in doubt of what lays ahead, he scouted.

Mrs Horsey probably was more tired than anything else.
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Had a blast, also had an oil pressure issue. Got trailered home and changed oil, light out and running fine. One might think Rover would do a little better job on designing oil pickup, but they are what they are,, and the rocks certainly would shake up oil a little.I would only guess Josh's problem occured on a down hill run, as mine did. Hope you got as lucky as me,( or as I hope and only time will tell) Sorry to miss you Josh, but how? I figured you would like to meet the guy that sugested Boost wheels on your horse in the first place.
Dan was a great trail guide, many thanks, and even more thanks for Dana and Jill for trailering my D2 home. Randy thanks for advice, gonna run it for a few days and see what it sounds like, before I start pulling stuff apart. GREAT CROWD, YOUR LOSS IF YOU MISSED THIS ONE!. SEE YA AT ROVERS ON THE ROCKS!!
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Steve, good to see you again as well. John and Dan deserve all the credit, I did nothing other than show up for support and spot a few times. It looks like things went well overall and we will discuss a possible return next year. I know they were discussing moving the date.
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the conversation was had about the Cove as a MAR site and the only objection anyone could come up with was that the Coves pricing structure would be very expensive/brutal for those attending with whole familys, and the fact that the Cove is in the North Western corner of the state. Otherwise I thought it was superior to to our last three venues. Perhaps if an ideal date can be secured this event could grow in size to rival MAR.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 1st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
X2,

And those that thought it is not stock friendly, we had stock disco on street tires driving through man eating mud holes.

Was fun to see new drivers as well as stock units finding what Rovers are made of.

I agree with the place it is indeed the perfect place to outgrow MAR inclusive of the PERFECT location

------ Follow up post added November 1st, 2010 01:44 PM ------

Pssst Doug, answer your phone ( will call you in 10 minutes )
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
X2,

And those that thought it is not stock friendly, we had stock disco on street tires driving through man eating mud holes.

I agree with the place it is indeed the perfect place to outgrow MAR inclusive of the PERFECT location
Save your breath. I've been saying this for years. No one wants to hear it, though. Paying $17,000 to rent some property and spending an additional $8,800 for trail guides is a better option.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
X2,

Was fun to see new drivers as well as stock units finding what Rovers are made of.

------ Follow up post added November 1st, 2010 01:44 PM ------

Pssst Doug, answer your phone ( will call you in 10 minutes )
I've been going to The Cove for years using my stock Disco. It has everything for everyone... nice place indeed.
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Save your breath. I've been saying this for years. No one wants to hear it, though. Paying $17,000 to rent some property and spending an additional $8,800 for trail guides is a better option.

I know, but things have changed a little since then.

And now, there are more members speaking out that are not " labeled " like an anti ROAV.

And deep inside, even if you do not want to admit it , you DO CARE ( you and I both know to be the case ).
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but...

having MAR at The Cove is extremely appealing, from a pure location perspective. We northerners typically have to cut the MAR trip short so that we can get back home in time for Sunday supper...often requiring us to reluctantly leave on Saturday evening, shortly after the auction. Then again, this may be the intended result...send the northerners home ASAP.
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but...

having MAR at The Cove is extremely appealing, from a pure location perspective. We northerners typically have to cut the MAR trip short so that we can get back home in time for Sunday supper...often requiring us to reluctantly leave on Saturday evening, shortly after the auction. Then again, this may be the intended result...send the northerners home ASAP.
This was actually part of the argument that I made and that Gustavo agreed with. I said that with the event drawing people from as far North as Boston some additional perspective was owed to the thought process. My point was that guys coming up from Georgia and down from Mass, Ct, Ny,Nj wanted challenging trails and that they were dissapointed with this years event from that standpoint.
Perhaps if they can get a good weekend for this event annualy it will grow into the wheeling event and MAR will be the pony ride/scotch tasting/orvis demonstrating,mud type terrain (as opposed to granite) family friendly event it has become.

Chris its farther North but also farther West. Still 5+ hrs away. You aren't ascairt to come below the Mason Dixon line are you ? Leave Saturday @ 10pm to be 250-300 miles away 20 hrs later ? What are you driving ?

Dan -yeah everything you said and have been saying. Just trying to get there with molasses instead of cayenne pepper (what Gustavo said).

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 1st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Just trying to get there with molasses instead of cayenne pepper (what Gustavo said).
Funny, my Dad always used to say "you get more bees with honey than with vinegar"!

Semper Fi!
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Too funny Doug. I was driving a V8, requiring many pit stops...but that has all changed now.

Now, we would leave on Saturday night to cut the trip home in half. We like to get home by noonish on Sunday so as to give the truck a good cleaning before the work week. You know how that Virgina mud can wreak havoc if it dries.
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Funny, my Dad always used to say "you get more bees with honey than with vinegar"!
yeah but if you use honey in a conversation with Chapman.......

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

You guys better stop before ROAV starts talking shit on you, too.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
JohnK
John K

Quote:
JohnK ( and I ) lead and spotted the Stock/Mild group on Saturday, and I shotgun with Randy on Sunday
Thanks for being navigator, spotter, and Costume Contest judge. You helped make this event a success.

------ Follow up post added November 2nd, 2010 07:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
See you all on the trails in the spring-
That's crazy talk. We have time to squeeze in another rally or two before spring.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Thanks for being navigator, spotter, and Costume Contest judge. You helped make this event a success.

------ Follow up post added November 2nd, 2010 07:42 AM ------

That's crazy talk. We have time to squeeze in another rally or two before spring.

Well most likely after the rover gets its 60k maintenance done on it, its getting put up for the winter.
I'll be bombing the snow drifts in the audi.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
You guys better stop before ROAV starts talking shit on you, too.

You crack me up

------ Follow up post added November 2nd, 2010 08:36 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

You are welcome, thanks for the event and the trail ride, and for the record , I had nothing to do with the success, it was all You guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events