ROAV Summer Rally in Mountain Lake, Va - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I don't understand why you guys would go pay $75.00 to ride fire roads and then not be allowed into the main/social area unless you find a babysitter for your pet.

Why not just take a ride down Route 11, the road would be more exciting. You won't need low range at either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Roav

First and foremost I知 going because organizations like ROAV, are few and far between- and need continued support if off roading as we know it is going to continue.

An organization that has been planning and leading responsible off-roading trips for 35 years has a lot more credibility than groups that just go off on the weekend for unorganized "fun runs".

I知 not expecting the Rubicon trail- I知 expecting trails that offer some variety- not everybody in ROAV drives a D-90 with ARB lockers, winch and lift- it goes from stock LR3 to lifted 109 on 40s. If there are some challenging trails for most-thats great.

Is every Rally that ROAV plans going to be perfect? Nope. But I for one had a great time at the Spring Rally- the trails were fun, the bbq, brewery tour and camping was a good time for everybody that I talked to. The people made the difference- they are ROAV members because they want to see something they enjoy continue into the future.

While I do like non-organization events (schedule alternate weekends would be nice)- I think undermining events like this is unnecessarily driving a wedge into the crowd- and off roading as a whole needs long standing organizations like ROAV or it is going to be detrimental to us all.

With that sad- yeah it sucks that my dog can稚 go but it痴 not really a show stopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I don't understand why you guys would go pay $75.00 to ride fire roads and then not be allowed into the main/social area unless you find a babysitter for your pet.

Why not just take a ride down Route 11, the road would be more exciting. You won't need low range at either....
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
First and foremost I知 going because organizations like ROAV, are few and far between- and need continued support if off roading as we know it is going to continue.

An organization that has been planning and leading responsible off-roading trips for 35 years has a lot more credibility than groups that just go off on the weekend for unorganized "fun runs".
I think you have the wrong club. ROAV has done more to diminish the good name or OHV'ers. Take their last Spring Rally for example when several of the attendees went off the trail, onto National Park property, to wheel and area what was not even a trail. It's this type activity that get us [off-road users] in trouble with the park Service, the national forest service, federal law enforcement, Save-The-Bay, etc...

In case you were not aware, the forest here in Virginia is in a delicate state right now. The National Forest plan is being revised as part of federal law - this must be done every 15-years. I've been to no less than 6 of these revision meeting stretching from Front Royal to Lexington. At EVERY meeting there are protesters trying to stop ALL OHV activity in the forest. This includes fire roads.

The protesters have a valid case, too. How can you argue with them? They've got the photos, Youtube Videos, and the knowledge to show exactly what the damaging effects to the forest are when morons run off the trails or drive up a creek bed.

ROAV does nothing to support the very trail system they use. Nothing. Chuck made an effort to help several years ago with a project in the GWNF off RT.33 near Harrisonburg, VA. Out of the 11 "officers" of ROAV, and out of the 200+ members of ROAV, Chuck was the ONLY one to show up.

We have clubs out of MD [Off Camber Crawlers and Poor Boys] who do more for Virginia trails every year than ROAV has ever done.

Quote:
I知 not expecting the Rubicon trail- I知 expecting trails that offer some variety- not everybody in ROAV drives a D-90 with ARB lockers, winch and lift- it goes from stock LR3 to lifted 109 on 40s. If there are some challenging trails for most-thats great.
I understand what you're saying, and I too like verity. I was once one of the guys with a beat-up truck and not scared to try anything. Now I'm content with taking the LR3 on a trip and running more scenic trails. I never was a fire-road wheeler, though.

I have no idea what you're expecting to see at the ROAV Summer Rally. No idea at all. Maybe I take it for granted because I live here and have been running these mountains for 20-years. But I hope you're not expecting much. The trails at Shoe Creek during the Spring Rally are twice as challenging as the trails you'll see at the Summer Rally. I'm not joking when I say you will not need low range. There is only one mild trail at Pott's Mountain that may, or may not, require 4wd, depending on what you're driving.

If you're looking for verity like you say, you're going to be disappointed. And you paid $75.00 to run public trails that are open to anyone year around, thanks to the tax dollars you already pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
-

I only recently PCS'd here- so you are 100% correct, I dont know the environmental history / Tread-Lightly side of ROAV. All i know is what I saw on the trail in the Spring, and that was people walking the tree line and trail ....and at every stop getting out to pick up trash and debris- and ROAV had a "weigh off" at the end of the event to see who collected the most garbage.

I wasnt on every trail, but the folks on the Shoe Creek run I went on stayed on course - and pointed out trails that were shut down due to misuse.

If there is nobody taking part in trail use / awareness and conservation issues- I agree with you 100%- it needs to be a priority and that is an issue addressed by ROAV. Like all organizations...there is always room for improvement and energy and input from people such as yourself could be used to turn it around.

Ive lived all over the US- and there is really strong pressure from coast to coast to get OHVs out of the woods- its getting hard to even find trails that allow mountain bikes anymore.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
My rig-

"I'm not joking when I say you will not need low range. There is only one mild trail at Pott's Mountain that may, or may not, require 4wd, depending on what you're driving. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LandRover.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	29555  
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

For me, I hate when it comes down to politic's. I just like to wheel, camp, drink beer, meet people with similar interests, swim my dogs and drink beer. I think no matter how well organized an event may be, (or by whom), there will most likely be some puke that will abuse the privilege and go off on some unmarked trail for who knows why.. I would not bash any club's for there event or the location, at least its something to do. As for my dogs, alot of you know Neptune and know how cool he is, (not to mention first and second place MAR Rover Dog 2 years in a row) and is a big part of everything we do as any pet should be! So maybe in the future , I can only hope for dog friendly venues. As for trails, I prefer the more challanging ones and fire roads are not. So I guess I'll see some of you somewhere next weekend, but looking like PA.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
. All i know is what I saw on the trail in the Spring, and that was people walking the tree line and trail ....and at every stop getting out to pick up trash and debris- and ROAV had a "weigh off" at the end of the event to see who collected the most garbage.
That was not even ROAV; that was Dr. Aaron Richardet's "project". Dr. Aaron has done this same sort of thing a few time, including Uwharrie.

This is the type shit I'm talking about. It cost Dr. Aaron $100.00 to sponsor this project. One-hundred dollars, that's it. ROAV made $15,000 off you guys at last years MAR event. Years prior to that ROAV had over $50,000 in the back account. Dr. Aarons $100.00 contribution to the cause made a big difference. Now tell me why ROAV cannot get involved???

This goes back several years. I brought this to the officers attention several years ago. I presented the idea of having a few trail clean-up weekends combined with wheeling, etc.. There are some areas cluttered with trash, including large appliances, tires, dead animals, beds, and just household trash. I asked ROAV to get involved (as a member of ROAV). You would be surprised at the comments I got back from ROAV! Of course they have since been deleted from the ROAV forum....

I presented the idea and it was shot down (John Tackley had a big part in shooting it down). However, they said I could do this on my own, as an individual, and post the set dates on the ROAV forum.

Later, after receiving shit from other members, the Board of Directors said Okay, we'll do it. Keep in mind ROAV had over $50,000 in the bank, but when I asked for a few bucks to buy trash bags, and a few more dollars for disposal fees to get rid of larger appliances, tires, etc... I was told "no".

You can't even make this up.

A few months later the Virginia Trails committee was formed within ROAV. This is when Chuck got involved, before being elected President of ROAV. Chuck has since quit the Virginia Trails committee.

This did not stop me from doing what I always do when I visit the woods. I posted a year long schedule on the ROAV web site for trash pick-ups and other projects. Of course, those threads, too, have been deleted by Chuck.

The forest service has two forms they ask folks to fill out when doing this sort of work. It helps with not only budget planning, but it also reflects highly on your clubs. I'll attach these forms here for reference:

Sponsored Land Management

Individual Land Management

In the past 3-years, at least, ROAV has not sent in a single report. I have sent in 8 so far this year alone.

It does not take much at all to make a difference. We're losing trails left-and-right and we need to do all we can to keep what we've got left. ROAV uses the land, but does not give back. They're like a Ruritan club that does not give back to their own community. It's a damn shame. Pitiful, really.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Bear in mind that not everyone is a fan of

-stepping in dog shit
-dogs putting their dirty paws on you
-dogs shaking off next to you after they get out of the water
-dogs drinking out of your cup that's sitting in the cupholder of your chair
-dogs begging

I like dogs on camping trips; when they are held in check by their owners. No matter how conscientious a group of owners are, someone in the group will let their dog run rampant and annoy the piss out of everyone.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454 View Post
Bear in mind that not everyone is a fan of

No matter how conscientious a group of owners are, someone in the group will let their dog run rampant and annoy the piss out of everyone.
Gee thats kinda like the guy that will go off trail and ruin it for everyone.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Don't take my word for the trails, you can ask several of the members here about Wheatland and Potts, like the Crowthers, Troy Smith, Dr. Aaron, Mike Boggs, etc.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
But I hope you're not expecting much. The trails at Shoe Creek during the Spring Rally are twice as challenging as the trails you'll see at the Summer Rally. I'm not joking when I say you will not need low range. There is only one mild trail at Pott's Mountain that may, or may not, require 4wd, depending on what you're driving.
Not agreeing with you on the trails Dan. The trails on the Moore's farm were challenging dry and impassible once wet. Vehicles were abandoned on the mountain for several days. Trucks trying to recover them gave up with engines blown etc.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Not agreeing with you on the trails Dan. The trails on the Moore's farm were challenging dry and impassible once wet. Vehicles were abandoned on the mountain for several days. Trucks trying to recover them gave up with engines blown etc.
That's because y'all got 4" of rain in 36 hours last year. Newly cut trails are muddy anyway; once you introduce water to them it all goes to shit. Hope ROAV does not have rain at MAR this year....

The trails were easy dry, from what I hear. Troy Smith drives a very nice D90, almost perfect. Very nice truck in pristine condition. It's also a perfect example of the trails he runs. If trail difficulty is based on what Troy says, then I know it's safe to bring the LR3, or a mini-van. Mike Boggs can go either way, depending on whether he's driving his D110 or D90. He's a bit braver in the D90.
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:49 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Who is going to this that plans to bring their dog and camp at white rocks?
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:20 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Calling for great weather - its going to be really nice on top of the mountain.
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

thanks to all those who came out to play in the fog, pics coming soon.

A shot from Potts Mountain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1811.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	29804  
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Good Time on the Montain Top

I had a good time - I drove Wheatland's trails at night and spent a nice afternoon tooling down the fire roads. The suspension got a work out on both trails. (so did the driver via Armstrong steering)

We had a great haul with our Dr. Aaron sponsored trail trash pick-up, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01311.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	29807   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01312.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	29808  

Name:	IMG00093-20100731-1630.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	29809  
Sterling, VA
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Summer ROAV

Even with the rain- i think just about everyone had a good time.

Potts Mtn was a blast- im really glad I went to this event- met some great people and caught up with some other folks.

See you all at MAR!
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Had a great time too. Even though the truck was overheating.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
D90

Good to meet you- hope you got home w/ no issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff View Post
Had a great time too. Even though the truck was overheating.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Got home fine. Had the heater on all the way though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
mount