ROAV Spring Rally @ the Cove May 20-22 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Be nice, Doug was paddling up hill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Really Steve? Was this pic necessary? It's like you are saying "Hey, check out this sweet pink braclet I am wearing!"
Real men wear hot pink! looking good, bartley!
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Who ever this is in the pic, he needs to be skooled before he hurts himself or someone else. I have a feeling that's why John took this pic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/IMG_3116.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Bad practice in the pic but doesnt seem to be under load at the same time.
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Thats me, no the line isnt under load, the tow strap is dragging on the ground, the winch line is being hooked up. Fucking relax
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:52 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
Thats me, no the line isnt under load, the tow strap is dragging on the ground, the winch line is being hooked up. Fucking relax
Does not matter. Safety is safety. A truck could pop out of gear or otherwise move. Maybe not in this instance, but straddling the line is a bad habit to get into. You always step on the line when you cross it, even if the line is on the ground.

Also, get a real winch extension line. You're driving a $25k truck and you have a $30.00 recovery strap as a winch extension. Call up Viking or who ever your favorite winch line provider is and order a correct winch extension line.

Your recovery strap is too big as well. It's way too wide. What is that, 6" wide? A proper recovery strap for your Land Rover would only be 2" wide. Wider straps are stronger, but they're not as effective during a pull if someone is stuck in mud or over a bank. A recovery strap is like a rubber-band -- it stretches and uses that energy to pull the non-moving vehicle. A recovery strap will stretch about 15%. A 6" wide strap is going to need more force (weight) to make it stretch and the Land Rover is not heavy enough. Even a 3" strap is too wide. A 3" strap would be suited for a full-size truck such as a Duramax or Hummer. A quality 2" strap is plenty strong enough for a Land Rover and is more effective than a 6" strap. Call up Master Pull or Expedition Exchange and buy a proper strap, then sell that big strap to someone on the Army Abrams M1A1 Tank forum.
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
yeah, I agree safety is safety. true statement, and I dont argue that.

But, my truck is parked with the front brushguard blocked by the tree in front of me, in vehicle in park, e-brake on. The truck im about to pull, is in front of me, in park, propped up on rocks. Neither vehicles are liable to move.

The tow strap isnt mine, it was attached to the stuck disco in front of me. (not the other disco in the picture)
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well since we are picking on Steve's recovery methods, why is the tow strap even being used? Wouldn't it make more sense to attach the winch line directly to the stuck vehicle, thus getting more line out and using more of the winches power? I can't think of a time I have needed to use the pictured setup. I carry a big chain with slip hooks both ends for making a bridle to attach to nitwits* who go out without recovery points. Not going to ruin my tow straps just because someone is even cheaper than I am.

Quote:
yeah, I agree safety is safety. true statement, and I dont argue that.

But, my truck is parked with the front brushguard blocked by the tree in front of me, in vehicle in park, e-brake on. The truck im about to pull, is in front of me, in park, propped up on rocks. Neither vehicles are liable to move.

The tow strap isnt mine, it was attached to the stuck disco in front of me. (not the other disco in the picture)
*Some of my best friends are nitwits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	39114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	39115  

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
because the strap was already hooked up and because the vehicle wasnt buried, it just needed to be moved back off of the rocks as seen in the previous photos.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Ok. I spent a day off-roading with Mark Letorney one year at the winter romp. I thought I knew how to use a winch until that day. I now realize that I still don't.

Quote:
because the strap was already hooked up and because the vehicle wasnt buried, it just needed to be moved back off of the rocks as seen in the previous photos.
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
[QUOTE=rijosho;283658]
runner up:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Zucchin...82937792700306

/QUOTE]

The canoe is a Bell Morningstar. It was mine and I never used it so I sold it to Cabell.
The canoe itself is a blend of carbon fiber and kevlar. Whole boat weighs 41lbs. With my 280 lbs it rides low in the water.

http://www.bellcanoe.com/products/de...=594&catid=194

BlackGold™
We're huge fans of composite fibers here at Bell Canoe Works. They're light, incredibly strong and they look super cool. Our highest-grade composite is something we call BlackGold™ and it is the finest canoe laminate available. BlackGold™ combines the stiffness and compression resistance of carbon fiber with the formidable tensile strength of Kevlar®. Every BlackGold™/KevLight™ canoe now comes with an integral Kevlar® skid plate in the bow and stern — which is ingeniously laminated between the outer and inner layer of composite fabric for additional strength and wear resistance. Color: Natural (Black carbon weave)

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

280lbs? I think you need to get rid of that scale you bought from DAP. You're Rugby-player big....I'm ex-mountain-biker-who-got-lazy-and-started-drinking-beer big. I'm 220lbs but you got some size on me, it's got to be more than 60lbs.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
280lbs? I think you need to get rid of that scale you bought from DAP. You're Rugby-player big....I'm ex-mountain-biker-who-got-lazy-and-started-drinking-beer big. I'm 220lbs but you got some size on me, it's got to be more than 60lbs.
this brings back a joke, Doug- Ingham always said he never got over 280 and he's 5 inches taller than me and I called bs, I told him his scale was stuck at 280 was the problem.

and I think the brake was on in the canoe, surely that's why you have lean.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:19 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
The canoe is a Bell Morningstar. It was mine and I never used it so I sold it to Cabell.
The canoe itself is a blend of carbon fiber and kevlar. Whole boat weighs 41lbs. With my 280 lbs it rides low in the water.

Cool, like those. Simple fix, just flip the canoe around and sit in the bow seat to distribute the weight.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I was a lacrosse defenseman in college.
Never bought anything from DAP-couldn't like Steve Young.
You're probably right on weight-haven't weighed in in quite some time. Let's retro the statement.
I weighed 280 when I sold him the canoe.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
If they were Rugby players the size of Doug...... I would have never played Rugby *LOL*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events