RC Nautique pics - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 26th, 2004, 01:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hey All

Awesome trip despite the cold nights!

The JB weld up enough to get me home (thanks Trevor!), although I did have some leakage. Need to read the manual a bit and I'll be back asking for advise on the dismantling of the axle

My scant pics are here: http://www.lhsw.com/gallery/rausch2004 . I took some video on the camera too, but somehow botched the transfer to my computer and deleted them off the camera before realizing it.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2004, 09:21 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
whats that thing stickin up beside the top of Hipperts snorkle? Looks like a whistle or something?
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
whats that thing stickin up beside the top of Hipperts snorkle? Looks like a whistle or something?
It is, it runs off of my air compressor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2004, 10:46 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
sweet, I would personally have the Dixie horn but maybe that more appropiate here in the south, where did you get your whistle?
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I found it in my grandfathers basement kicking around with some other junk.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

VDO Vision numbers

Most of this is available on the FAQ on this site, but I can confirm the follow regarding the VDO Vision series gauges:

temp gauge: 310-105
temp sender: 323-422 if you can find it (250F, 5/8-18 UNF), I couldn't. I'm pretty sure egauges had me buy the 325-095 instead, though I'm not 100% on that. I ended up getting a SunPro adapter kit at AutoZone that had the 5/8-18 UNF connector. You may want to look for the adapter kit first, then determine what size the adapter kit is converting from, and get that one. The adapter kit was cheap.

fuel gauge: 301-106
use stock sender*

tach (6K RPM): 333-158
no sender required, just adjust the switches on the tach until it's right

speedo (4"): 437-155
sender ('94-'95 only): 340-011 + mod's (see d-90.com FAQ) - I haven't done this yet, but the instructions on the FAQ are pretty clear.

* FYI, I'm not that happy with the VDO fuel gauge... I assume its the sender, but I'm not sure. The gauge swings back and forth when fuel is sloshing around in the tank. It happens once you're down about 50 miles from full, whether going down the road or trail, etc. I believe its accurate (or at least as accurate as stock was) while sitting still, and the lighting is ridiculously better, but just be aware that the needle moves with any truck movement. Its kind of annoying but you get used to it.

Good luck
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I noticed your fuel gauge moves more then my stock one, I have noticed that after market gauges seem to respond faster the the stock ones, so when you move your 90 the smallest amount and it shows on the gauge. One thing that you did that seemed to help was switching the Fuel gauge with the tach, so the fuel guage is hidden behind the steering wheel some and it is not as noticeable when it moves. They are a ton brighter!
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

A little more FYI:

I searched on Yahoo Yellow Pages for a speedometer shop near me, and found 2, one in Worcester, MA (30 miles) and Hartford, CT (50 miles). I called Worcester and told them exactly what it says to tell them in the FAQ.... they didn't know what the heck I was talking about. They wanted to see the cable first, and I said well can't you just tell me whether or not you can change the male end on my speedo? No, they don't do much cable work anymore... So I called the Hartford shop, and they knew exactly what I was asking, and said bring in the cable and no problem. I told him I'm 50 miles away and could I ship it? No problem, just include written instuctions and phone numbers and they'd do it... He asked a few follow-up questions (vehicle, sender, etc), but very knowledgeble and I felt good about it.

So, if you can't find someplace locally:
Connecticut Speedometer Co
89 Hoadley Pl, Hartford, CT 06120
(860) 247-3677

I haven't done this yet, but I'm ordering the sender from egauges today, and I'll be sending these guys my cable ASAP.

Yeah Mike, I saw the switch in either the tech or custom mods section, and thought it was great... I wanted to see the tach easier. It seems to make more sense with the tach right in front of you...
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK Just spending more time looking at Charles pics, and I can't help but laugh at the first 2 pics of me stuck in the wheelie mud hole (#s 17 and 18). In both pics Sam is hanging out the window looking down at the mud, she must have been thinking "What have I got myself into" and in the other pic "how am I going to get to dry land".

Also in the first pic you have the norm for Tyler all weekend answering his phone!

Then in pic 29 Ken learns the fine art of hooking up a tow strap under water.

I think if we got everyones pics together we could put them together to make a movie of the weekend.

Oh bonus points to whoever can guess what is mechanically wrong with my engine in pic #32, oh and no guessing if you were there!
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Comments can be added to the pics - I just have not had the time. If you want I can give you a login with rights to add comments if you want Mike.

I still can't believe you could just shut it off in the water, and then start it again on the first turn. My truck stutters when I drive by a self-serve car wash.
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:58 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I believer I was on the phone talking to the Rausch repair shop a.k.a Trevor about bringing JB and gear oil for Charles. The rest of the time I was answering text messages from a lady friend. Sorry to say no booty call sunday.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
on 2nd thought Hippert you need to change from crbhpr or what ever your current plate says to pudlhpr
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Damn, no booty after all that text messaging. bummer.

BTW, it was 45 miles and 50-55 minutes for me to get home from where I split off on 15, so next time we go up I'll meet you up there instead.

charles
p.s. Your avatar is from RC isn't it?
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:23 PM
rvrsrvc
Trevor Griffiths
71 109 double cab

Handy Smurf says: I had a good time also!
It was nice to put some faces with some names. I'm sorry for all those that suffered misfortunes- Mike, have you been able to continue diagnosis?
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yep, the oil cooler line thing that bolts onto the oil pump was loose and allowed sand into the pump, and clogged the the pressure release valve open.
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Doh!

How the hell did we not notice that?

Is she going to be ok?

charles
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I hope to find out by this weekend. We may not have noticed if it was packed tight with mud.
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Nope no booty yet. Still working on it. Figured it was faster for you to go that way. Yep its from that first hole we came to after the hill climb.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events