Raffle for Hippert's 94 Arles Soft Top - who would be in? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

View Poll Results: Who would buy a raffle ticket for Mike H's ol' D-90?
Yeah, I'd be in for one ticket! 27 50.94%
I'd double-down to help a buddy - give me two! 18 33.96%
Make it a triple - 3 tix pleeze! 3 5.66%
I'd like to quadruple my chances by buying four! 1 1.89%
I've got deep pockets - I'll buy n tickets! (please specify n) 1 1.89%
I will not buy a single ticket - I hate you, this board, and America! 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Raffle for Hippert's 94 Arles Soft Top - who would be in?

OK, the Pendy put forward the idea, and someone seconded the motion, so I am polling to see who would commit to a raffle for Hippert's 94 D-90.

The truck is described in the below thread, and lots of others from when Mike (mod emeritus) was active on the site.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17075

The concept is to get Mike a little better money than he would get from a private sale, and keep the truck in the Defender community. There would be 100 tickets at 100 dollars each. That would give Mike 10k, and someone a 100-dollar Defender.

I don't think it would be hard to sell 100 tix, especially if this was opened up to a couple other boards, but I could use some advice as to whether this is legal.

I would abstain from buying a ticket and would instead run the raffle in as transparent a manner as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Impatient response removed
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I was busy making the poll - evidently the post is visible while the poll is being made. Odd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Jim,not sure if I am in or not but can I suggest you put a sticky on the more popular parts of the forum. I think you will get more action from the people who come to look for parts,help,cars for sale, and misc chit chat.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am in
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Holy crap that's a great idea! I'm in for a few tix.

Semper Fi!
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Damn deep pockets. I reserve the right to buy a couple of tickets but doubt I'm throwing 5+ Benjamins at the chance
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Id be in for 2

Follow-up Post:

I dont see how it would be illegal since we arent claiming a charity or anything.. Mike gets X amount of $$ and we are all simply donating the winners balance

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

I am in for two!
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I think it should be D90 Source members only...
... and if I could swing it, i would make it open to only current members of the forum

Follow-up Post:

Should have made it multiple choice.. option 6 rules

Follow-up Post:

We should see if this could be considered gambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
We should see if this could be considered gambling.
Yeah, exactly, that's why we need a legal opinion.

Quote:
Should have made it multiple choice.. option 6 rules
I voted number 6 for amusement's sake, since I would be abstaining from the contest.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Well Ron's a lawyer... whats the word Ron?

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This raffle thing is complex, I'm just looking at various state's raffle laws and I already see huge disparities. I think the only way it would be possible would be to find the state with the most lenient laws and run it under those auspices (since we have a very broad membership). However, I am not a lawyer and will not even pretend to understand all the possible ramifications and implications.

Follow-up Post:

Alternatively, I understand that Mike is closely affiliated with his church. His church would almost undoubtedly be eligible to conduct a raffle under New Hampshire law. If he wanted to donate a part of the earning to the church, then it could be entirely above-board. We would simply provide a pre-designated list of ticket purchasers. The raffle need not even be legally set-up before the entire list of ticket buyers was established.

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Well Ron's a lawyer... whats the word Ron?
Too much risk/liability/compliance etc. to do properly, but that normally does not stop people (think of the huge number of raffles done every day).

Ron

PS I emailed Mike to call me, I might just buy the thing and stick it in the pavillion, but if this raffle idea gets off the ground, I would not buy a ticket (I don't gamble and I would suspect, but we have to ask him, Mike does not either, but he may be ok with the raffle).
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
looks like youv'e already sold 15+ tickets in two hours

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

This ranks up there with the invention of sliced bread! I'm in fosheezy!

Robert Deniro
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I know he is. I will bring this up if/when I talk to him.

Ron
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am in for a couple of tickets
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Too much risk/liability/compliance etc. to do properly, but that normally does not stop people (think of the huge number of raffles done every day).

Ron

PS I emailed Mike to call me, I might just buy the thing and stick it in the pavillion, but if this raffle idea gets off the ground, I would not buy a ticket (I don't gamble and I would suspect, but we have to ask him, Mike does not either, but he may be ok with the raffle).
I've been reading into it this afternoon and Ron is pretty much on the money. Running as a Raffle would generate a lot of static without proper filings blah blah and it seems to be even harder to do as an individual.

However, we all know that nothing would prohibit Mike from privately selling his truck to one person. Where this person may source his funding from out of pocket or from another 99 people of their friends to buy it i dont know how we could work that out legally.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I'm in for two tickets.

How about this. He sells the truck to 100 people. When the new owner checks out or finds defender ownership to expensive. It goes to the next in line. So 100 tickets in order of ownership. Everyone signs off on a place in line that is drawn by lot. No expenses can be passed to the next owner.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
soft top