Portsmouth Island, NC This Weekend - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:11 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

A few more

These are departure scenes.

Raub maneuvering for the ferry and tow strap for Uncle Richards ride, Ezzzzzz says Mark.
Uncle Richard stressed in the drivers seat being towed onto the ferry (almost a Pendy view).
Uncle Richard exits after his ride is towed in position... You can't get to Tanzania from Nairobi without going through Uganda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010030.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	97834   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010033.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	97835  

Name:	P1010034.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	97836  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Man it looks like a great trip. As I am writing this Raub txt me and said the are running 40 mph down the beach.
That was a 40 mph shot.

You would be running along and all of a sudden there would be a slight ramp in the sand and Raub behind me said I was airborn in the 110 many times. The great suspension these trucks have, we never knew, although Cleo my dog did refuse to jump back in the truck after we stopped during that high speed run to the upper end of the island, so I guess if you didn't have a seat it wasn't so smooth. Raub said Rat Patrol several times this weekend, a flash back to a popular series when we were kids (guess you had to be there).

Sunday morning she woke me up right after dawn as always and I fed her and took her out on the beach. We got about a half mile up the beach and she disappeared over the dune.
She came back a few minutes later covered in blood. She had holes in her face, neck, shoulders, and ears. Bobby had seen a fox and the rangers had advised they had a coyote on the island decimating the bird nests so what she mixed it up with is anyone's guess, may even have been a very large racoon. Based on the canine tooth punctures we think large fox or coyote. I washed a lot of the blood off in the surf and she's fine today. Knowing Cleo, I'm pretty sure the other guy looks worse.

Holes and all, even the dog's we brought had a blast.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Planning on a fall ride now if the tree huggers don't prevail.

Looks like a baby Thresher shark not a Tiger?
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:50 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Kicking myself that I didn't get a divorce and go to the island. Looks like you guys had a blast! Would it be possible to scan that input form so we all can sign/send one in? When is the hearing/meeting?

There is a deep disturbance in the force....I feel another trip in the planning stages........
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Planning on a fall ride now if the tree huggers don't prevail.

Looks like a baby Thresher shark not a Tiger?
I didn't look @ it when Cabell caught it as I was to busy rigging up but based on the tail, I'd agree.

------ Follow up post added June 30th, 2014 08:55 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
Kicking myself that I didn't get a divorce and go to the island. Looks like you guys had a blast! Would it be possible to scan that input form so we all can sign/send one in? When is the hearing/meeting?

There is a deep disturbance in the force....I feel another trip in the planning stages........
They plan to shut down some aspects but not the whole thing and its going to get way more expensive if adopted. Comment/public input period closes around July 21st.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:03 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

So.....they want to shut part of it down....and make it more costly to the american public to enjoy a "park" that we are already paying for....again?
Bastards. Makes me want to leak diesel fuel all over somebodys yard.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
So.....they want to shut part of it down....and make it more costly to the american public to enjoy a "park" that we are already paying for....again?
Bastards. Makes me want to leak diesel fuel all over somebodys yard.
More restrictions, possibly even taking a class to get a beach permit, no night driving etc. A $180 annual permit may be implemented etc.
We saw no one doing anything out of bounds or in any way against the rules of the beach. We packed out more trash than we made thanks to the trasharoo I got from Pedro during his mandatory scale down. A statistic quoted to us by the ferry operators are that 480,000 people a year come to the park, most down @ Point Lookout. Last year the rangers wrote 20 tickets total, in the entire park to people out of bounds or doing something against the rules with a vehicle.

The Point Lookout Natl Seashore is a well kept secret, 58 miles of pristine beaches all belonging to all of us. The folks we ran into on the island had all been coming out for a decade or more, ie once your are hooked it becomes a regular pilgrimage. There is a long term parking area on the island and there were many large f350 crew cabs with camper bodies on them with fold down back porches etc parked there (new regs would limit these rigs to 32ft long which we all thought was somewhat absurd- how does vehicle overhang length effect anything ?). Some folks take their beach time/surf fishing very seriously. It only cost $14 for a person to ride the ferry over whereas an oversize rig like that can run $150+ , cabins are $100 a night so the economics of building a dedicated rig and leaving it there make sense. One of the rangers told me the rule is they have to come off the island once a year. That environment has to be hard on anything left out there.

Raub has a lot more pictures but we will have to wait for him to make it back to S. Florida to post them up. He stopped in Florence Sc last night.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Not too sure any amount of rust proofing would suffice for that length of time on that place.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Not too sure any amount of rust proofing would suffice for that length of time on that place.
The 15 mins I spent under the truck ea time removing the slave and re-installing it showed me that with a 25 knot wind blowing, the tunnel effect created on the ground under a car is incredible. The paint on your frame would have to be epoxy based to last anytime out there, it would just be sand blasted bare in no time

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
glad you exfoliated that ugly mug though!!
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
glad you exfoliated that ugly mug though!!
yeah- that picture Robert posted of me getting dragged onto the ferry and the stress I was dealing with right then wondering how I was getting the truck, my daughter, and dog home was bit heavy. Possibly the worst picture I have ever seen of myself. He kept saying "smile, strike a pose, I'm taking your picture muthalika ". I guess my amusement with the situation is captured in his picture.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
love it!
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:11 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbriggs View Post
doug? No, jeremy clarkson was there!!! -jeff
more power!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Doug? No, Jeremy Clarkson was there!!!

-Jeff
Briggs when we do this again, all kidding aside, you need to fly you and your family in. We'll find you a rover to run. I almost took the D2 with all of its comforts due to the distance, better fuel economy (110 used 16.4 gallons to go 177 miles averaging around 70-apparently the secondaries on the Edlebrock open around 65-sure sounded cool though) etc but took Trey's 110 because it was sitting there annoying me and it just seemed more appropriate. Mark's 110 (from Nigeria) is in pieces and he came in his suburban as can be seen in the pics.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I'll have to keep it on my radar. I don't know if all 6 of us could make it, but I'll look into some of the logistics. Looks like Raleigh is the closest big airport.

-Jeff
Yep- about 3hrs away from the ferry dock. Cabins sleep 6 but airfare would be the bite.

Cleo prior to her scuffle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	97848  

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Raub just pulled in...

Spoke with Raub, he and the girls made it home safely today.
Fishing is good in the fall.
Could be time for a return trip.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
The Fall....?? Conclave, Expo East, URE - that takes up most of Sept and Oct. Open dates are hard to find.

(Although I have tentative plans to be in Wilmington to meet an old high school buddy the weekend of URE - that is sort of close to Portsmouth Isle)
Sterling, VA
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Guess we won't get much workshop time during the fall weekends cause I'm hitting Expo East, Conclave, and Portsmouth Island, but not in that order.

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
The Fall....?? Conclave, Expo East, URE - that takes up most of Sept and Oct. Open dates are hard to find.
Given a choice I think the 6 of us that went last weekend would all choose going back to Portsmouth over any of those events without a moments hesitation.

Everyone kept asking us if we were in some sort of club and we told them all we were just friends who had wanted to do this for a long time.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:41 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Raleigh is around 3 1/2 to sea level Give or Take. Easy drive. And you can stop in Kinston at Kings BBQ or Goldboro for some Wilbers on the way.

I think on your next trip you should give some more heads up!

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events