Point to point camping? Tennessee to Maine. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 4th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Point to point camping? Tennessee to Maine.

Hi all,
I am taking a two week trip this summer from my home in Nashville to my childhood home in Maine, and back. I am taking my 8 year old on the trip and my wife and daughter will fly up. We will be voyaging in my mostly restored 1988 110 and intend to do a lot of camping, fly fishing and mountain biking on the trip. I am looking for camp grounds in south western virginia and somewhere in up state Pennsylvania, New York or southern Connecticut as stoping points. Looking to camp two nights and drive three says each way with some exploring mixed in. Any recommended camping spots along the 40-81-64 interstates?

Would also love any off-road or fire-road point to point loops in the south that could be fun to try. I am considering a roof top tent system so really want to try some off-road round trips.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

No logistic recommendations...but I wish you luck sounds like fun!
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:20 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentflyfish View Post
Hi all, I am taking a two week trip this summer from my home in Nashville to my childhood home in Maine, and back. I am taking my 8 year old on the trip and my wife and daughter will fly up. We will be voyaging in my mostly restored 1988 110 and intend to do a lot of camping, fly fishing and mountain biking on the trip. I am looking for camp grounds in south western virginia and somewhere in up state Pennsylvania, New York or southern Connecticut as stoping points. Looking to camp two nights and drive three says each way with some exploring mixed in. Any recommended camping spots along the 40-81-64 interstates? Would also love any off-road or fire-road point to point loops in the south that could be fun to try. I am considering a roof top tent system so really want to try some off-road round trips. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Well sounds like Maine is home but if you can swing it, would be great to link up. I'm in Brunswick. Inevitably you will stop at LLBean just a couple miles from me. And happy to lend you some driveway space and tools if anything goes afoul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2015, 09:33 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ithaca isn't too far off of the interstate and its a wonderful city with a lot to do and plenty of places to camp. Cayuga lake is a finger lake with a salt mine underneath. Buttermilk falls,Taughannok falls is amazing. Good food and cool place to check out.

Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:03 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Croton Point Park in Westchester County in New York is a pretty nice stop with tent sites. It's on the Hudson River
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:16 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I can also recommend the Rickett's Glen hike in PA. Park at either the top or the bottom. About three-four hours to do the loop with many many waterfalls.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Thanks all. I will start making my list of potential stops.

Josh-man, I will likely make a pass at lions pride while there so don't be surprised if I look you up. I grew up in Falmouth so know your area well. It is also great to know so rover guy there as I am sure there will be some wrenching on the trip.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:57 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

My farm is in Unionville Via...and the is plenty of room for tents, a hot shower and good chow. Can pm you Addy if you would like....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Mt Rogers & Grayson Highlands in SW Virginia are beautiful spots next to each other.
Harriman & Bear Mtn SPs in NY could be nice too.
All are not too far off the most direct route.

If you want to take the long way, swing up to the Catskills then up & over hitting the Green Mtns in VT and the the Whites in NH.
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:16 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentflyfish View Post
Thanks all. I will start making my list of potential stops. Josh-man, I will likely make a pass at lions pride while there so don't be surprised if I look you up. I grew up in Falmouth so know your area well. It is also great to know so rover guy there as I am sure there will be some wrenching on the trip.
Nice! Well, "the pride" is on the corner of my street and my regular stoking ground Ebeneezers finally slapped their brew pub name on it recently so they could actually start brewing some really great beers coming out of there lately. Hope to see Ya!
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
great info all, thanks for the offers to stay on farms etc. I will be working on trip plans soon and will possible reach out to one or more of you. Thanks again,
Josh Man - I will certainly let you know when I make a trip up there. I will bring the rover so we can chat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events