Pismo & Beach ADVICE WANTED - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Cool Pismo & Beach ADVICE WANTED

Hey guys,

I'm making a last-minute trip to Pismo Beach this weekend, and despite being a SoCal resident this will be my first trip out on the dunes. I wanted to ask for a bit of advice.

1.) I currently have the top off of my ST D90. Should I put the top back on? Will I be eating sand all day? I would never consider leaving it off riding most dusty SoCal trails, so I thought it might be a nice change.

2.) Is there good place to camp out there (i.e. away from the RVs) ? GPS coordinates?

3.) Any advice about being being safe in the sand--things to look out for or avoid?

4.) Airing down my 285 MTRs to 15 or 10 psi? Any other precautions?

5.) Any mechanical concerns with a trip to the beach (before or after)?

Any other bits of advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:29 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Bump.

I had to postpone this trip--but I am no w headed out this Thursday with a confirmed reservation for primitive camping out on the dunes. Any advice or GPS coordinates appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcscharfe
Hey guys,

I'm making a last-minute trip to Pismo Beach this weekend, and despite being a SoCal resident this will be my first trip out on the dunes. I wanted to ask for a bit of advice.

1.) I currently have the top off of my ST D90. Should I put the top back on? Will I be eating sand all day? I would never consider leaving it off riding most dusty SoCal trails, so I thought it might be a nice change.

2.) Is there good place to camp out there (i.e. away from the RVs) ? GPS coordinates?

3.) Any advice about being being safe in the sand--things to look out for or avoid?

4.) Airing down my 285 MTRs to 15 or 10 psi? Any other precautions?

5.) Any mechanical concerns with a trip to the beach (before or after)?

Any other bits of advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Paul
You can find lots of information from either the SCLR or NCLR club sites. But the quick answers to your questions:

1. Keep it off
2. You can camp anywhere on the dune that is not fenced off - the farther back you are, the less ATV noise you will have.
3. When driving away from the ocean, go slow off the drop offs. Watch out for all those damn rovers from LRR that jump them, and be carefull of those around you. There may be hundreds of people on the dunes but everyone drives like they are the only one out there.
4. Air down to 12 psi, give or take.
5. Stay out of the water, and wash the hell out of the underside of your truck as soon as you leave, as well as the rest of it to get all the salt off.

Gets cold at night, bring lots of firewood and booze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thanks Robb,

That's just the info I was hoping for. I'll check out the SCLR and NCLR sites and see what other info I can find. Maybe I'll see you up in Napa over the weekend--after Pismo I'm headed up to Petaluma and later to St. Helena to visit family.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcscharfe
Thanks Robb,

That's just the info I was hoping for. I'll check out the SCLR and NCLR sites and see what other info I can find. Maybe I'll see you up in Napa over the weekend--after Pismo I'm headed up to Petaluma and later to St. Helena to visit family.

Thanks again.

Paul
Sounds good, if you see a funny looking guy driving a series that's me.......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
ac