PDX Meetup Early Next Year - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:40 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Great photos! With skills like yours, you should ride with all of us for a bit. I'll get you out there if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Great pics! Post up more details about the Gorge trip.......
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
Werrea
Anthony Werre
08 LR3

Jump in to correct me if I got it wrong.

Details of upcoming trip.

3/21-3/22 overnight camping off of east end of Barlow rd.

Meet at 4pm Saturday 3/21 government camp rest area.
We will head from the rest area to the east entrance of the Barlow Road for camping. Those that want to get up to Timberline lodge before can.

Sunday 3/22 drive the Barlow Road. Easy dirt road that was the gateway to Oregon for the pioneers. Very historic track. Lunch somewhere, head home.

Camping is dispersed. Cannot predict weather, come prepared for anything.

HAM communication preferred. I think someone has a CB.

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:08 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
This will be cool, I hope I can go, but probably won't know for sure till right at the last.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:41 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
This will be cool, I hope I can go, but probably won't know for sure till right at the last.
Just let me know. I've got 6 seats, but only two are comfortable! ;-)
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:53 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd like to propose an early start on Saturday for those who want to join in on the tourist portion. If there is interest I was planning on taking the out-of-towners down the Gorge to Hood River, then up to Timberline Lodge for lunch and back down the hill in time for our meeting at 4pm. Unfortunately as much as I would like to do Barlow Road I only have a hall pass (child care) for Saturday. Neill and Josh, let me know if you're interested in this or if you'd prefer to head straight to the meeting point. If you're feeling adventurous we can make a pit stop at Oneonta Gorge on the way. Just make sure to bring your rubber boots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oneonta Gorge.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	115033  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:54 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I'd meet up Saturday morning for the touristy "gorge"ous part.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:18 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werrea View Post
Jump in to correct me if I got it wrong.

Details of upcoming trip.

Sunday 3/22 drive the Barlow Road. Easy dirt road that was the gateway to Oregon for the pioneers. Very historic track. Lunch somewhere, head home.

HAM communication preferred. I think someone has a CB.

Anthony
All:

Where are you guys camping? Where exactly is the Barlow Road? Do I need to bring snow chains? I don't have a CB. Where will lunch be?

Wife & I are headed back from Portland so I am not sure how much time I'll be able to spend with you guys. Might only make lunch if you know where you will be (Timberline Lodge? Hood River?)

Thanks,

Paul.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Paul. I don't think the camp site has been determined yet. Ryan can fill in on what is needed for Barlow. I'm only able to join Saturday and I'll probably only go if the tourists are in the mood of a tour. Otherwise it would make little sense for me to go up there at 4pm if I'm not joining the camping portion. Are you coming from Portland? Do you want to join us for the morning portion?
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Carl:

Kathryn and I are driving from Portland back to La Grande on Sunday morning so the plan was to travel with you guys, grab my light guards & grille, then head home after lunch in Hood River. Doesn't sound like any of that is possible now. Maybe you & I can hook up in Portland either Friday afternoon or Saturday so I can grab the parts? Then we'll see if going the back way around Hood is feasible.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:02 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
So as mentioned previously the plan is to meet at the government camp rest area at 4 then head east to the start of the Barlow road. The Barlow parallels hwy26 and a good portion of it follows the White River all the way back to hwy 35 The trail it self can be easily run in a day and there are many roads in the area that could be explored as well. I will look at the maps further and post some coordinates to a potential camping area (we are shooting for dispersed camping. There will be no facilities or water. For anyone that does not meet us at the rest area ham radio is the preferred method of communication. Someone will keep their radio on if necessary and we can guide you in to us. Starting point is near Wapinitia junction of hwy 216. We will travel in approx 10 miles and pick one of the several open areas to camp. Im somewhat new to Gaia and have points laid out if anyone is interested I just have to figure out how to share it.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:58 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
http://youtu.be/gNwsqkhc0_c

This was filmed on the Barlow 1 week after i finished replacing the chassis. Not the best viewing angle but you get the gist of the trail from it.
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
So what's the be st time/place to meet you guys on Sunday morning? Is the plan to head to Hood River for lunch?
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm going to have to disgracefully bow out of the day trip altogether. In my enthusiasm I've overcommitted and need to trim my schedule. Josh and Neil, if you're up for it you can do a self guided scenic Gorge tour Saturday morning before the camping meet up at Government Camp. Drive down the 84 towards Hood River. Stop at Multnomah Falls if you haven't been already. Grab a coffee and walk around in Hood River a bit and then head up to Timberline Lodge for lunch (upstairs). The meeting area is just down the hill from TL. It was great seeing you and have fun camping!
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Paul.

Last we spoke they're planning on meeting at the government camp rest stop at 4:00pm on Saturday to do the Barlow Trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
So what's the be st time/place to meet you guys on Sunday morning? Is the plan to head to Hood River for lunch?
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

I'm just seeing this, as I don't sign in very often these days. Just an fyi... I live in Hood River and would be happy to meet and/or play tour guide with anyone wanting to come into HR for lunch. I don't do any hard-core wheeling these days, but I do a lot of exploring in my D90, mainly fs roads and logging roads, so I know the entire area well and could certainly show some nice, very scenic, mildly challenging trail rides if needed.

Be advised that all of downtown HR is pay-to-park, so bring quarters for the meters (or credit card for pay-station).
Old March 12th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Paul.

Last we spoke they're planning on meeting at the government camp rest stop at 4:00pm on Saturday to do the Barlow Trail.
Thanks Carl. Any idea when they will meet on Sunday?
Old March 12th, 2015, 05:50 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

Hey K9Phil, We should get in touch. I am just across the river in White Salmon and have a black 93 long wheel base Range Rover Classic with a TDI.

Guys I am out for this. My Dad and oldest daughter pieced together a last minute trip that I can't pass up.

Really bummed about missing this. I have been wanting to do the Barlow road for a while now. Sorry to miss out at the last minute. Parking in White Salmon is free but the bridge to get here isn't.

Have a great outing.

thanks
Craig
Old March 13th, 2015, 12:02 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'm out as well. Spring break trip means I need to stay home that weekend. However, I'll read up on what your plan actually is in the end, and maybe I'll drive out and meet you guys for a few hours before heading back home.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Josh Ashcroft
Joshua
1986 110

Just noticed this thread.

I don't own a Defender, is this open to RRC's?

I might be able to join, most likely I would have to meet at Government Camp, not sure I could be ready by morning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events