Paying The Price (Ouray 2013) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:33 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Paying The Price (Ouray 2013)

So... I live in Colorado. I love Ouray (got engaged to my wife there) and am exited to see all the Rovers when they come through in August.

So I went to the LRNR page and clicked the [register] button and kaboom... got smacked in the face by a pretty hefty fee.

$305??? HOLY CRAP! Really?

All I wanna do is drive into town with my wife and daughter, check out some trucks, jaw-jack with other owners, and head back to the KOA for a good night's sleep before heading home.

The question: Should I seriously part with $305 to drive into town and walk the streets for a day? What more is there to do? I've never been to one of these events before so forgive my ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2013, 03:21 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
So... I live in Colorado. I love Ouray (got engaged to my wife there) and am exited to see all the Rovers when they come through in August.

So I went to the LRNR page and clicked the [register] button and kaboom... got smacked in the face by a pretty hefty fee.

$305??? HOLY CRAP! Really?

All I wanna do is drive into town with my wife and daughter, check out some trucks, jaw-jack with other owners, and head back to the KOA for a good night's sleep before heading home.

The question: Should I seriously part with $305 to drive into town and walk the streets for a day? What more is there to do? I've never been to one of these events before so forgive my ignorance.
Yep I shelled out $400. The money pays for the dinner, prizes and gifts for the trail leaders. The organizers I belive do not get compensated for all of their time...it's also offset be vendor/sponsors. I look at it as a once a year event where I can meet rover fold from all over the country, and even from the United States of Canada!
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:48 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

The money is for the Cocktail Party, Barbeque, Banquet, T-shirt, permits, and guided trails.
There's a lot to organize and really its a pretty good deal for all you get. Consider it costs $20/day to get into most crappy offroad parks. Plus they're feeding you, giving you a T-shirt and a bunch of other swag. $305 for three people wheeling guided trails for 4 days, getting fed 2-3 times, and Tshirts for all is a hell of a deal IMO.
Of course there's nothing stopping you from going to Ouray on your own and hanging out with people at night, you just won't be able to participate in any of the above mentioned activities.
And you'll be labeled "that guy". :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The fee covers a bunch of stuff and it takes an amazing amount of work to put it on. It has been a few years since I have attended so I do not remember how much it cost but for what you get it did not seem that bad to me but that is just for the wife and I with no kids. Another thing they did in the past was a donation to the search and resuce in the area where the rally is located with extra funds from the event.

As far as I know there is no compensation to the club officers or trail leaders atleast as of a few years ago. The only perk for a trail leader that I am aware of is that they do not have to pay the fee and once in a while they have a trail leader training session that they can attend. If you have been a trail leader for an event like this (I have) you do it out of love for the club as there is no way the shirt, waived fee are anywhere worth the effort, time, pain involved.

FWIW a few years ago I went (roverless) for 2 days just to hang out at night with my friends at the camp site, it does not cost anything to do that so you can go camp with the family and hang out with the rover heads at night by the camp fire for free. No one will call you "that guy" unless you try to go to the events unpaid.
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:31 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I'm going for the first time this year. I went ahead and registered. If the raffle is half as good as the one at Easter Jeep Safari, along with food and booze, then it is money well spent.

Half as good as the EJS raffle is a very tall order though.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:06 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Some events will charge just a day visitors fee if you are just showing up to socialize for the day.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:15 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Plus, don't forget the raffle...last year they gave away some stellar prizes!
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:39 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
I'll just ditch the old ball and chain. That'll save me $100.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:13 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
I'll just ditch the old ball and chain. That'll save me $100.

At least...but the attorneys will make up the difference!
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
D90MD
Robert Quaife

The break-down of the fees for the 2013 LRNR are mostly for the events. The events for Wednesday evening include light meal and 2 alcoholic or non beverages;for the Cocktail Party; swimming at the Hot Springs Thursday Night; Vendor Night with Barbecue as evening meal; and lastly banquet on Saturday. Additionally both BLM and USFS charge for groups to use the Trails with permits. IDs vehicle stickers, event sticker, and the Rally T-shirt rounds out the costs. We also Greatly appreciate our Sponsors who help make this happen. Lastly a great deal of thanks goes out to the Trail Leaders who donate their skills and time often running these trail 2-3 time on their own dime. The registration fee will be refunded to those Trained Trail Leaders who lead 2 trails during the Rally. This is a volunteer Club who sponsors this national event. Many thanks go out to all those who help make this a memorable and fun event.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90MD View Post
The break-down of the fees for the 2013 LRNR are mostly for the events. The events for Wednesday evening include light meal and 2 alcoholic or non beverages;for the Cocktail Party; swimming at the Hot Springs Thursday Night; Vendor Night with Barbecue as evening meal; and lastly banquet on Saturday. Additionally both BLM and USFS charge for groups to use the Trails with permits. IDs vehicle stickers, event sticker, and the Rally T-shirt rounds out the costs. We also Greatly appreciate our Sponsors who help make this happen. Lastly a great deal of thanks goes out to the Trail Leaders who donate their skills and time often running these trail 2-3 time on their own dime. The registration fee will be refunded to those Trained Trail Leaders who lead 2 trails during the Rally. This is a volunteer Club who sponsors this national event. Many thanks go out to all those who help make this a memorable and fun event.
And I for one appreciate it... It's a good event for sure.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:38 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I've only missed a few years since the '96 Rally.

If you can attend all days it's really a deal.

I'll miss this year...I was unexpectedly out of the office all last week.

...hey what's this about trail leader gifts?

Have fun!
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

last year the received Goal0 stuff!
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:56 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
last year the received Goal0 stuff!
Dang...I knew I should have kept it up.
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:30 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

All right you slackers...you've been home for a day...where are the photos / embarrassing stories???

Oh wait...Pendy stayed home this year = fewer stories

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events