Paragon Adventure Park - closed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Paragon Adventure Park - closed

Paragon is going to be turned into an airport for cargo planes.

this is a very sad day. RIP Paragon

http://www.standardspeaker.com/index...=4233&Itemid=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
"Seach contended that Kyle Knosp, operator of Paragon, did not turn over financial records for PCA to determine the percentage of Paragon’s profits it was entitled to.
Seach also told the court Paragon had not provided proof of insurance and did not make its rental payments"

?
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh man. THat SUCKS. I hope they work this out... THere is no other place around here. I guess I will be lowering my truck and putting on a set of spinners..... NOT....
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Oh man. THat SUCKS. I hope they work this out... THere is no other place around here. I guess I will be lowering my truck and putting on a set of spinners..... NOT....
it is sad Randy. that was actually my first time at Paragon... and last! looks like we will need to get the group together and hit up Rausch Creek or find some trails in VT or MA
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Well I'm glad we got a chance to make it up to Paragon this winter. I might head up to MaBell (MA) next weekend or Florida Rd.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is this a definate that its closing? Someone should open up another place. THere is so much land its insane not to....
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I just found this article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Off-road devotees riding to rescue

Patrons of Paragon Adventure Park aiding owner in battle with landlord.

By STEVE MOCARSKY smocarsky@timesleader.com

HAZLE TWP – Off-road-vehicle enthusiasts are doing whatever they can to help keep the East Coast’s premiere off-road vehicle park open, including having a benefit ride next Sunday.

Paragon Adventure Park, which sprawls across a few thousand acres in Hazle Township in Luzerne County and East Union and Kline townships in Schuylkill County, is in danger of closing because of a lease dispute between park owner Kyle Knosp and land owner PCA Corp.

Court papers filed by PCA Corp. and Gladstone Partners L.P. state that Knosp breached his 25-year lease in several ways. Knosp says he’s being bullied into giving up the lease so PCA can sell about 2,500 acres of the land to Gladstone for big bucks – about $22.5 million.

The lease is the only thing that stands in the way of the land deal, and Knosp says he’s not giving up without a fight.

Knosp said he’s overwhelmed by the outpouring of support he’s received from park patrons, who organized a benefit ride with a raffle to attract participants.

Lee Raider, 48, of Berwick, got the ball rolling with a post to the park’s online forum suggesting a benefit to help pay legal expenses Knosp and his wife, Stephanie, incur in their court dispute.

“Paragon has sponsored many fundraisers and benefit rides in the past, always donating some or all of the gate fees to that benefit. So I figured ‘what goes around, comes around’ is a good idea. Kyle and Stephanie have always been quick to help others, now here is our chance to help them,” Raider said.

Raider, a seven-year patron of the park, said he made the initial post to the forum with the benefit idea, and “everyone else jumped in and took it upon themselves to be a part of it.”

He said he received $1,000 in merchandise donations from off-road vehicle and ATV companies within 24 hours. He estimates he has received offers of about $5,000 in merchandise to raffle in the last week, and he expects more merchandise to be donated for the raffle this week.

Raider said anyone who participates in the ride will receive a raffle ticket, and they can receive more tickets if they make additional donations to a legal fund. Donations so far range from winches and gift certificates to custom-made bumpers, wheels, tires, full axels and suspension products.

“There’s a little bit of everything. I e-mailed and called several 4x4 and SUV-related vendors. I haven’t had any of them decline. Some called me asking why I didn’t call them. All the Jeep and SUV clubs on the East Coast are getting involved. People and companies I never heard of are donating prizes,” Raider said.

The Times Leader received a few dozen e-mails or phone calls from off-road enthusiasts who travel to the park several times a year from as far away as New Hampshire, Canada and Ohio, and fear they will have no quality East Coast site to ride their off-highway vehicles legally.

“The possible closing would put a huge dent in available places to recreate in this manner in the Northeast. … There are simply no parks that allow that type of large-scale recreation four-wheel-drive vehicles or dirt motorcycles,” said Dan Spalinger, 32, of Hudson, N.H.

Spalinger acknowledged that some small trails exist in some states. “But the amount of miles and acres of terrain open in Paragon is probably greater than almost all the open land combined in all those states. It’s just a huge loss for that industry in the Northeast,” he said.

Spalinger said closing Paragon could push enthusiasts to ride their vehicles illegally on public or private land where riding is not allowed.

He and other riders point out the devastating effect a park closure would have on the local economy.

Knosp estimates that park patrons spend an average of $100 locally on each visit. With approximately 18,000 visitors in 2005, he believes park patrons infused about $1.8 million into the local economy, and that’s not including the park’s profits. He estimates the park pulled in close to a half-million dollars that year.

Knosp said the lease problem has promoters, who normally schedule 20 to 25 special events there each year, fretting about the park closing and having to find a new venue.

IF YOU GO

What: Ride to benefit Kyle and Stephanie Knosp

Where: Paragon Adventure Park, Hazle Township

When: Gates open at 8 a.m. Saturday

What else: A raffle will be held after all vehicles are lined up and before the riding begins. Go to www.paragonap.com for more information.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yes its a done deal. They are being evicted on monday. In its place is going to be an cargo airport. Check discoweb for their thread on paragon.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ok. Now hwere do we go...errrr. Why does upstate ny have no places to go? Whats up with sterling forest?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Try Rausch Creek park, smaller but better than nothing, and they have ROCKS!
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
Try Rausch Creek park, smaller but better than nothing, and they have ROCKS!
Stop Stalking me dang it!!!!

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Ok. Now hwere do we go...errrr. Why does upstate ny have no places to go? Whats up with sterling forest?
Randy, the company I work for used to own Sterling Forest, trust me, you'll never see an offroad park there.

There are some trails up that way but you have to look for them or know someone....
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:40 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Its a real shame whats happening there to Paragon. Its just a big bullshit smoke cloud to mask some other kind of land deal that will lead to almost no turn around for the community but line a few peoples pockets. You watch, no airport will even go there. I mean come on... look at the entire area, what retard looked specifically at the park and thought "Man what an awesome site for an airport".

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Its a real shame whats happening there to Paragon. Its just a big bullshit smoke cloud to mask some other kind of land deal that will lead to almost no turn around for the community but line a few peoples pockets. You watch, no airport will even go there. I mean come on... look at the entire area, what retard looked specifically at the park and thought "Man what an awesome site for an airport".
Sounds like the people pushing for it.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
John, let me know when you are going Wheeling avain. I want to go. Also, do you have any pics or video you can send me from last trip?
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:06 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
John, let me know when you are going Wheeling avain. I want to go. Also, do you have any pics or video you can send me from last trip?
I posted the pics in a link a few msgs up .... I haven't downloaded the videso yet. As soon as I download the videos I'll let you know.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Fernando is working on the video he took ( we all know the camera man was his kid ) , as soon as I hear it's ready I'll make copies and send them out. John remember the disco incident , http://s134.photobucket.com/player.s...cket.com/&ap=1
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
John, where is the link fo ryour pics? Looked all over for it... errr

Thats a great video but I really feel for the guy..
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Well I'm glad we got a chance to make it up to Paragon this winter. I might head up to MaBell (MA) next weekend or Florida Rd.
click on the winter randy

Old February 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
Fernando is working on the video he took ( we all know the camera man was his kid ) , as soon as I hear it's ready I'll make copies and send them out. John remember the disco incident , http://s134.photobucket.com/player.s...cket.com/&ap=1
hehehe... poor guy should've waited for the waffleboards....

Thanks Jimmy, freaking NJ folks can't find anything!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events