Overland Expo or Land Rover National Rally - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Question Overland Expo or Land Rover National Rally

At this point, I cannot attend both of these events and have never been to either so...

I'm looking for opinions on which one to attend, pros / cons, questions to ask myself, etc. Eventually I hope to make it out to both of these events but looking to focus on only one for 2012. I'm sure some of you have been to both and can offer some suggestions or thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Depends on what you want to do more?

Spend a week in the off road mecca of Moab running trails and meeting likeminded people from all over the country and further = Nat Rally.

Spend a weekend walking around a trade show with some interesting products and meeting people from all over the world and into all sorts of vehicles and contraptions = Expo.

Expo is being held close to some very picturesque parts of AZ this year so If you go Expo then I would recommend extending your trip and trying to do some other stuff after or before. Also not sure if you can still get passes to the classes and demonstrations that make it worth a weekend.

Ian
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:39 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Thanks for the input Ian. I think i'll plan to join the National Rally in Moab so hope to see you and others from D-90 out there.

>Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

We are hitting Expo, and will be doing some scenic trails nearby if anyone wants to meet up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:34 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
When are you gettig in Dale?
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Thur late am, then depart Mon early am from Phx. The one trail I really want to do is eastern Az and requires a local tribal guide- cliff dwellings, etc. Thoughts??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:07 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
If you mean Monument valley, there is a guided trip running from Mon or Tues to Thurs finishing up at the Expo I beleive with the local club (AZLRO.org). Not sure how you would work the having a vehicle angle or if the dates work?

If its somewhere else then giudes can normally be booked at the visitor centers if its a park or we can work out the how's and where's of finding a guide for you if you need us to?

I'm going up Friday, in a demo and walking the show on Sat then coming back Sun. Hope to catch you and say 'Hi' this time.

Ian
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM
bomilcar
Stephen Miller
73 Series III Orig Owner

What is there to see in the local area of the EXPO for a day or afternoon hop? I am not real sure I want to stay the whole three days at the Expo?
Thanks
2011 LR4

"anything that can go wrong has"
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Stephen- there is a great book of Arizona trails called Backcountry Adventures Arizona- good descriptions and directions.

Ian- The trail I am considering is called Canyon de Chelly just outside Chinle, Az. Ideally I hope to hit a couple trails Thur in route from Phx to Flagstaff around Sedona, then the above on Friday, hit Expo Sat, and Sun is open. Then back to Phx and home on Mon. Thoughts??
A very good friend-Anil(Tdi NAS110), is meeting us at Expo and may want to join us as well depending on his commitments/schedule at Expo. Certainly hope to see you Sat as well, or any of the above if it is of interest to you.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:23 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Hi Dale,

Let me see if I can get you some contact details for arranging a guide or somebody to talk to.

Will PM you what I get.

Thx

Ian
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
rovertrader
Dale

awesome-thanks!!!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
PM Sent.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events