Old and Unimproved NOVA Happy Hour - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

great to see you Eric and the rest of the guys. drive home i rode the edge of the storm and stayed fairly dry. the top seatco did up for me really is top notch and provides a good amount of coverage. i even cranked the a/c on and had one vent aimed at me. like a cool arctic breeze

ready for the next one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Highlights Of The Evening For Those Who Were Not Present (You Know Who You Are):

Bite me. I was feeling lazy lastnight.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Charles and I spent all night on the phone fixing my web page up (after he spent all day Sunday helping Cabell with his spare tire mount on the 110). Sorry to hear Tom Sawyer didn't have a good evening-hope it wasn't the same memory deficient waitress we usually get, you can do a lot better.
Beer gogles ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
she was hitting on me. I was just trying to order a damn burger is all.

PS did you see my avatar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Dont' forget:

Dave hitting on the waitress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BigshotMaryland110Guy
Sorry to hear Tom Sawyer didn't have a good evening-hope it wasn't the same memory deficient waitress we usually get, you can do a lot better.
Beer gogles ?
Thanks for the vote of confidence. No she was new. But alas, she is lazy, mon. She only have THREE jobs, mon. I wasn't really trying to do anything. Just being my usual charming self. Beer Goggles? Yeah, I refuse to take them off...afraid of what I might see.

Additional Highlight:

Getting to repeat the $100 engine story from 2 happy hours ago since none of the same people were there.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave left you a VM on a viscous coupling for short money

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I cannot make excuses, I had just returned from vacation and I am officially broke, I will be living "la vida loca" for a little while on a pay check to paycheck basis. so I did what I seldom ever do.....
I took a side job, I spent about 3 hours on a radiator flush on a Grand A-merican M-istake, as well as a couple of emmisions and about 4 state inspections, so my evening was well worth staying.
as soon as I build another financial buffer I am back in the game.
let me know about the next gathering.
Dave I think I know which driveshaft tool you speak of, I saw a vendor at MAR who had it I just cant remember whom it was so I made my own using a 3/8 drive instead of the vendor's 1/2 drive.
If it comes to mind I will bring it to the next gathering.
ya'll come back now ya hear!!!!!
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Dave, what do you need the driveshaft too for, to replace a VC? I did mine and didn't know there was a driveshaft tool.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
hi

driveshaft tool is for removing the bolts that hold the driveshaft on. I was thinking about removing the d/s becasue the v/c was seized, and I did not want to wreck anything in the driveline.

In any case, I changed the v/c this weekend. the d/s tool was useless...ended up using regular tools.

good thing I did not try to remove the d/s in the parking lot it is rather interesting to do when the v/c is seized. had to get one front and one rear wheel off the ground just to rotate the d/s to get a tool on....

thanks
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Dave, what do you need the driveshaft too for, to replace a VC? I did mine and didn't know there was a driveshaft tool.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I'm not sure whey people insist on getting these special driveshaft tools when a 9/16" swivel socket works perfectly. We had Ray's off in less than 10 mins using one and an open end.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

LOL... I'm short on tools and empty on know-how... so I got humpty in nuetral and just used my foot and arm to roll the vehicle to get the DS bolts accessible... Jacking one side would have been safer...

(I was mighty proud of the VC replacement)
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Emerson, yeah that works good but my current work space is on dirt/grass and slightly uphill so that method would not work for me.

you should be proud that is a pretty big job. not real complicated but alot of stuff to undo and kind of a cramped space.

tony, I bought my d/s tool @ the 2005 MAR for twice what the vendors here get for them. It looked the part, for sure.
R'n'r driveshaft is my absolute least favorite job on a LR for some reason. Most sockets I have don't fit all the nuts and I always end up using a veriety of tools to get them off. So I splurged and spent the $43, turns out to be a big waste as you have kindly reminded me again. Thanks buddy.

swivel socket huh. yup, don't have any of those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
LOL... I'm short on tools and empty on know-how... so I got humpty in nuetral and just used my foot and arm to roll the vehicle to get the DS bolts accessible... Jacking one side would have been safer...

(I was mighty proud of the VC replacement)
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
I'm not sure whey people insist on getting these special driveshaft tools when a 9/16" swivel socket works perfectly. We had Ray's off in less than 10 mins using one and an open end.
Maybe they all got them in a raffle for needy kids like how I ended up with my useless $40 hub nut "socket" that you can't even put on a torque wrench... I guess it's better then nothing in a pinch though..
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
is there a torque figure for those nuts? I just do em up by feel until it spins smoothly and there is no perceptible free movement in the bearing. then lock with the outer nut and fold the tab over. AFAIK the only way to be more precise on that is by use of a dial guage to measure end-float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric N
Maybe they all got them in a raffle for needy kids like how I ended up with my useless $40 hub nut "socket" that you can't even put on a torque wrench... I guess it's better then nothing in a pinch though..
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I dunno, I like the little socket tool thing for the DS bolts. Worked like a charm for me.
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

For the hub nut socket, watch ebay -- I picked mine up, a snapon impact socket on 1/2" drive for @ $15. Dave, head to sears and pickup the swivel socket (remember, not a swivel extension, a swivel socket) with as low a height as possible. That and an open end and you'll be able to get at least the front off without rotating the shaft, and occasionally the back as well depending on how much lift you have.
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
is there a torque figure for those nuts? I just do em up by feel until it spins smoothly and there is no perceptible free movement in the bearing. then lock with the outer nut and fold the tab over. AFAIK the only way to be more precise on that is by use of a dial guage to measure end-float.
Ya, you could do it like the service book says which is: Tighten hub nut to 50Nm, spin the hub a little bit, back off the nut 90 degrees, then tighten it again to 10Nm. Put a new lock washer on and then put the locknut on and tighten it to 50Nm and then bend the washer over both nuts... At least that's from the D1 manual.
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

We should get a mod to move this to a new thread so that it isn't buried in a HH thread.
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
We should get a mod to move this to a new thread so that it isn't buried in a HH thread.

You know that I saw two 110's in two days.. Your's that Tuesday night and then some one else in a Nas 110 on Wendsday driving in McLean over near Spring Hill Park. I almost never see 110s and then two.. I went and played the Mega Millions but, I lost..
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
"R'n'r driveshaft is my absolute least favorite job on a LR for some reason. "

Try adjusting the clutch master- plunger rod where the clutch pedal activates it in that little bracket under the hood- yes there are two brake lines right directly in your way in an already cramped location. A nightmare on a rhd and !@#$%^&* impossible on a LHD NAS truck.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
haha lol, BTDT!

actually had one of those nuts fall off in boston. lost the clutch altogether. now I make sure I put them on *bloody* tight.

had to pull the brake m/c off the booster and bend it up out of the way to make room to *barely* get the wrneches on.

it's just that I always seem to be doing the driveshafts. yes, other jobs can be pigs too but that one just irks me for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
"R'n'r driveshaft is my absolute least favorite job on a LR for some reason. "

Try adjusting the clutch master- plunger rod where the clutch pedal activates it in that little bracket under the hood- yes there are two brake lines right directly in your way in an already cramped location. A nightmare on a rhd and !@#$%^&* impossible on a LHD NAS truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
happy hour, nova