NOVA Rally/Happy Weekend? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
NOVA Rally/Happy Weekend?

Anyone up for trying to do a NOVA Happy Hour Weekend Rally? The idea is to get a bunch of us together - perhaps with the wives/families - to do some camping and wheeling? Nothing too crazy, just some beers, hamburgers, S'mores, and mud. I have no idea where we could go since I am not from around here, but I would be happy to help someone plan.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Not a bad idea. Only places that come to mind for wheeling and camping are the GW forest around Harrisonburg or Rausch Creek.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Not a bad idea at all. GWNF is an option, I wonder what the cove is like in terms of open admission/payment. I like GWNF...just don't feel like getting shot at again, of course this time I'll bring a little more to deal with that too.

r-
Ray

ps-Jonathan, did you get my reply on work email about that other thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G
ps-Jonathan, did you get my reply on work email about that other thing?
I did. I am working the issue and will get back to you soon!

Semper Fi!
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Dumb question from a left-coaster:
I get out to Richmond once or twice a year on business.
Where is the generally accepted line of demarcation between NOVA and "SOVA"?
Is Richmond considered NOVA? (It doesn't really look like it to me.)
Looking at a VA map it seems like a number of you live REALLY North; like almost DC close.
Would a week day afternoon drive from Richmond to say Woodbridge/Alexandria/Arlington be absolute insanity traffic wise?
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Garth-
I'll take a stab at it from a Richmonder's perspective (that's where I grew up).

At this point Fredericksburg is NOVA based on traffic. Ghetto NOVA (no offense intended to those that live there mind you) but NOVA nonetheless. The brilliant strategy of a single corridor of traffic flow (95/395) N/S bound has pushed that demarcation further south-in my opinion.

NOVA proper is more likely the damn places that make you get emissions done, which is the six counties-I think-closer to DC such as Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, etc.

As to your question about a weekday afternoon from Richmond to Woodbridge/Alexandria/Arlington being bad, no-it wouldn't. I reverse commute from Arlington to Quantico everyday and the drive to and from work is not bad at all. Just don't come up before about 930...if you really want to time it well head N so that you hit the HOV lanes (right above exit 150 northbound) around 1000-they don't close till 1100 and you can push all the way up to the city like that without too much frustration and drama...

Can you tell by the novel that I hate traffic around here?
r-
Ray

Follow-up Post:

Quick follow-up to this:
If you were to head up from Richmond to NOVA for an afternoon, don't plan on going home anytime in the late afternoon/early evening.

Better to let us all know when you're coming, we'll have a happy hour at Jay's and wait out the traffic...
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm game depending on the date. If there will be other family members there, I could convince mine to go too.

The Cove would be ideal, but technically they don't just let anyone wheel there. The club I am (OCC) in gets special privileges to wheel there occasionally and I can see if we could swing something for us.

Otherwise GWNF would do. Rausch Creek is a bit far for [my] family to go.

harles
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

The Cove is the family friendly place to go -- with the beach and the lake, the showers and enclosed crappers it's easier on wives and kids than a lot of other places. Within reason, willis and daniel at least always used to be reasonable, esp. if you weren't too over the top. Plus, to a great degree, having other options for entertainment such as the range and the water, it's more fun than sitting in a field with a bunch of dudes staring at some morons' new roof rack for three hours waiting for the shine to kick in after spending the night dragging D2s on ATs off of the trails.

But that's just me. Either way, I'm in if it's sooner rather than later and the travel schedule allows.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
it's more fun than sitting in a field with a bunch of dudes staring at some morons' new roof rack for three hours waiting for the shine to kick in after spending the night dragging D2s on ATs off of the trails.
LOL. You say that like its a bad thing. Oh and if it takes three hours your not drinking it fast enough...
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Dumb question from a left-coaster:
I get out to Richmond once or twice a year on business.
Where is the generally accepted line of demarcation between NOVA and "SOVA"?
Is Richmond considered NOVA? (It doesn't really look like it to me.)
Looking at a VA map it seems like a number of you live REALLY North; like almost DC close.
Would a week day afternoon drive from Richmond to say Woodbridge/Alexandria/Arlington be absolute insanity traffic wise?
Technically NOVA is Fairfax county,Arlington,Prince William,Loudoun,City of Fairfax,Alexandria,Falls Church. A lot of people consider Fredricksburg and Warrenton parts too.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 25th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Depending on when this takes place and if my gastro. doctor gets me on some new meds that actually work I may be able to make it.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'm going to be running a trail called stateline (aka Tuscarora trail) tomorrow if anyone is interested. It's on the border of VA and WVA west of where RT66 hits RT81 , so not too far. 'm told its a mild trail, although with precipitation it can become interesting.

Date : Saturday, September 13, 2008
Meeting Place A: Wendy's Parking Lot in Manassas off I-66 (Exit 47B)
Meeting Time : 8:30 am
Leaving Time : 8:45 am

Meeting Place B: The first gas station on Rt 55 west off of I 81
Meeting Time : 9:45 am
Leaving Time : 10:00 am
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

since MAR is coming up, should we have a get together down there? who all is going? i think i plan to head down mid morning on Thursday and stay through the weekend.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Not in.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Robbie, I should be going and I know Loic is. Donna is insisting on staying at a hotel though...

Loic, if you see this, have Mary contact her, since we should probably try get a room next to you guys.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
I'll be in, currently trying to get 33's on my golf cart (sorry, I'll leave the Dweb version of MAR out of this...)

In all seriousness, we should be going-though probably not until Friday, and we'll be staying at this place:
Village Inn Hotel
(434) 263-5068
8010 Thomas Nelson Hwy
Lovingston, VA
Where I stayed for March Mud, it's decent-not the Ritz but damn close and a good price.
r-
Ray
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

cool, i'm on my own in terms of family. may have a couple friends with me with their trucks. so i'll be camping on site. anyone actually staying on site? showers this year.....

and yes, i've read all the dweb stuff, we'll just keep this thread to plans, not worry about the what ifs and should ofs.
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So this is now a MAR thread ? Not sure what the status on big green will be but will be there one way or another. Have backup 110's if the drivetrain doesn't make it in fast enough.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Can someone give me the cliff notes on the dweb thread? Really don't feel like going over there to read it.

I think Robbie's intent was to get a gathering together for the nova folks. Like a shanty town or soemthing. I'm game, but like I said, I'll be sleeping in a hotel.
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well, don't know how many of the usual suspects that I typically camp with will be there. Many of them are doing the National so it may be a low turnout. In any event I liked having everybody together @ the summer rally. So yes I think we should try to find a good spot for the NOVA/DC/MD/Lynchburg crowd and make it as far away from the "Boggs Clan" as we can.

I'll being the DaveDome™ and the usual kitchen gear. Some additional just in case rain cover would be great. I'd be willing to pitch in for some larger freestanding tent that could host some meals etc. I think Scott Preston had something like that last year IIRC.

Seems like lots of folks are moving away from the cobbled together shanty town type setup and more toward the large rental tent that just takes less time and works better. Even if it is not as cool looking.

There is a largish oriental carpet available as well as another octagonal tent/shelter identical to the DaveDome™ butt they are located in NJ @ the moment. We might be able to team up with some of the NJLR guys as they live near that facility and could possibly deliver if we ask nicely and include them in our camp. That would be rmuller and others that post up here frequently.

Anybody know if Neil is coming? Somebody needs to bring a grill! No more steaks on the camp stove @ 12am...

Dweb thread was a bunch of people bitching about the new MAR site and the various issues surrounding that facility such as no campers, guided trails only, and the fact that the guides all drive jeeps. I just installed my newly rebuilt WARN 8000 (the one that looks like an 8274) on the 109 so hopefully I will be spared the ignominy of being rescued by a J**p. Wnet on for 20 something pages and did at least rsult in a shower trailer supposedly being procured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Can someone give me the cliff notes on the dweb thread? Really don't feel like going over there to read it.

I think Robbie's intent was to get a gathering together for the nova folks. Like a shanty town or soemthing. I'm game, but like I said, I'll be sleeping in a hotel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
nova