NOVA HH Wheeling Event? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 20th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
NOVA HH Wheeling Event?

So, we can manage to get together for beers once a month, how about we get together for some wheeling? I'm not talking anything crazy, so maybe GWNF or some other place nearby. Perhaps make it family friendly? I have not wheeled any place in NOVA outside of the MARs, so someone (Charles?) would need to make some recommendations.

We can throw some ideas around at the HH tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
So, we can manage to get together for beers once a month, how about we get together for some wheeling? I'm not talking anything crazy, so maybe GWNF or some other place nearby. Perhaps make it family friendly? I have not wheeled any place in NOVA outside of the MARs, so someone (Charles?) would need to make some recommendations.

We can throw some ideas around at the HH tonight.
One option would be doing something in conjunction with the "Big Dogs" events out at Gore, VA. They have several events, are family friendly, have a range of trail difficulties, and are relatively close to NoVA.

http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/index.html
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

What is your idea of "crazy" in regards to trails? Might have a spot for you guys.
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Crazy like panel bashing and flying bodies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I would be up for getting together somewhere.
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Crazy is subjective.

I'm game for a Rover specific wheeling trip if I can fit it into my schedule but there is plenty of wheeling all the time if you don't mind wheeling with non-rover vehicles/owners. I suspect getting our group to all go wheeling the same day will be tricky, and then you come back to the old "crazy" subjectivity. Hard to keep everyone happy. Better to wheel where we like and come back and talk about it over a beer.

May I add that I have never bashed a panel on any topic (religious, political or other), nor seen any bodies flying while wheeling.
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Crazy is subjective.

I'm game for a Rover specific wheeling trip if I can fit it into my schedule but there is plenty of wheeling all the time if you don't mind wheeling with non-rover vehicles/owners. I suspect getting our group to all go wheeling the same day will be tricky, and then you come back to the old "crazy" subjectivity. Hard to keep everyone happy. Better to wheel where we like and come back and talk about it over a beer.

May I add that I have never bashed a panel on any topic (religious, political or other), nor seen any bodies flying while wheeling.
Well, I defined crazy as bashed panels and flying bodies.

Honestly, I would just pick a couple dates and maybe do a poll. Everyone won't be able to do it, but out of the 20 or so of us in the area I bet we get at least 6 trucks. I see it now: "The 1st Annual Mostly Metro Rover Rally" or something like that. Instead of MAR, it would be called MMRR. The Mrrrrrrrrr.

You know the trails best, so pick a few dates and lets start there. I'm up for organizing the rest.

Semper Fi!
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM
nwbuck34
Nathan Buck
2002 D2

I think GWNF would be a good starting point, obviously it would be more a camping trip than wheeling. We could easily get More than six trucks together especially if we invite non rover vehicles.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Here are some non-Rover specific events just south of you guys...
All of these events are trail guided. Oakridge is a lot of fun and if you get with the right group it can be a blast. Most of the trucks are Jeeps with the exception of my Defender. I have trail guided at most of these events.

July 24-25 Relay for Life at Oakridge Estates an "all Bread 4x4 event" Primitive camping on site(Nelson County, Lovingston)

August 12-14th United 4WDA Wheel in , At Snowshoe,

September 16-18 VA4WDA, Annual, Oakridge Estates, Nelson County (Primitive camping on site_
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The trails being run this weekend @ the ROAV Spring Rally-The Levels and Shoe Creek are more interesting than most of the other GWNF stuff out by Harrisonburg that is now closed like Dry Run

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Well, I defined crazy as bashed panels and flying bodies.

Honestly, I would just pick a couple dates and maybe do a poll. Everyone won't be able to do it, but out of the 20 or so of us in the area I bet we get at least 6 trucks. I see it now: "The 1st Annual Mostly Metro Rover Rally" or something like that. Instead of MAR, it would be called MMRR. The Mrrrrrrrrr.

You know the trails best, so pick a few dates and lets start there. I'm up for organizing the rest.

Sounds good - I would definitely be up for a trip out some weekend.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Count me in. Been to GWNF many times. Was there this weekend and there were a few areas that are good, but nothing too intense. Ran Shoe Creek yesterday and it was a pretty good trail. Would be more of a challenge IMHO if you start at the bottom and go up and depending on your line. We came from the top down.

GWNF- can camp at a few spots, up near Flagpole area.
Shoe Creek- there is an area near the bottom that looked fine for camping, right next to the water.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think we make it family friendly and just caravan up, do some wheelin', camp overnight, and head home.

Semper Fi!
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Sounds good to me, Ill bring the gf. Just let me know when. I will be offshore fishing in the outer banks the second weekend in June. Other than that, my schedule is pretty open.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, some friends/neighbors and I had blocked out this weekend to go to Assateague island for a few days but plans fell through so we are doing a day trip Saturday to do Shoe Creek (and maybe the levels if I can get some info in it) instead.

It should be stocker friendly (as well as family friendly) and anyone is welcome to come, just let me know. I'm planning on posting on my local 4x4 club as well. Meeting up at the Wendy's in Manassas (right of Rt66) at 7:45am, leaving at 8am. If you want to camp you can go before or stay after etc, just letting you know what we are up to.

So far it's just 3 or 4 vehicles, 3 families.

charles

------ Follow up post added May 24th, 2010 09:41 PM ------

Some info on the trails

http://4x4icon.com/offroad/shoe_cree...alls/index.htm
http://4x4icon.com/offroad/big_levels/index.htm
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Damn- I'll be @ the farm which is about an hour from the Shoe Creek trail but don't think I can make it....too much to do. Cabell and his crew may be interested. Big Levels is on the other side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mike Crandall can give you directions. If you drop down off the Parkway towards Sherando lake its the park entrance on the left.

http://www.trails.com/topo.aspx?trailid=BGD023-037

------ Follow up post added May 24th, 2010 10:33 PM ------

suggest running both trails bottom to top-especially Big Levels

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Charles:

Here's the kicker...our family actually has a farm outside of Lewisburg WV too - which is actually closer to GWNF. Unfortunately I've got the entire front end of my truck ripped apart doing the P-Gasket and friggin' realized when I went to put it back together I didn't have new replacement Grade 8 hardened bolts for the Power Steering Pump (and the old bolts were shot). We're supposed to head out tomorrow to WV, so it's going to be tight to get the 110 done. If not, I may take the LR3...but won't I get my ass kicked for showing up in a yuppie-mobile?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, bad timing for me too. We need to plan a little farther out.

Semper Fi!
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
If not, I may take the LR3...but won't I get my ass kicked for showing up in a yuppie-mobile?
An LR3 is perfectly ok - I have nothing against wheeling in luxury. The series would be fine too. This is more of a "day in the forest with the family" kind of wheeling.

I have never done the trail so can't guarantee you won't have any problems in the LR3, but I can't imagine we'll see anything we can't spot you through or stack a few rocks to help you get past something (and I need the exercise).
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
We took Sean's LR3 down Shoe Creek with no issues, and he even did some of the side "obstacles." Then we took it up Big Levels via the more difficult route that goes straight up the mountain. Again, no issues. We did bail on the last section of that route as we had been told it is a bit narrow and he wanted to avoid the potential pinstriping, among other reasons. Looking at the maps now, that is a nice long stretch of trail and should be quite fun if it is anything like the first two sections. The 88" with the soft top setup will be a blast up there. Both trails are quite scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
An LR3 is perfectly ok - I have nothing against wheeling in luxury. The series would be fine too. This is more of a "day in the forest with the family" kind of wheeling.

I have never done the trail so can't guarantee you won't have any problems in the LR3, but I can't imagine we'll see anything we can't spot you through or stack a few rocks to help you get past something (and I need the exercise).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
event, nova, wheel