NOVA HH Wheeling Event? - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
All,
Had a blast this weekend. Hope everyone made it back safely with all spares intact. Ed thanks for the great photos! Till next time.
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post

We ran Cobra, and then onto a another that starts with an O (i think) that had a 300 yard up hill rock garden that was too intense for the d2.
You're probably talking about the trail called Corum's Special. It's basically a rock/bolder slide? Allen Skkillman took his D2 up that trail at night at our Cove Campout 2-years ago. It was interesting, lol. Later on when ended up on Death Valley at mid-night and came down Sluice. A Jeep Rubicon that was with us broke a front axle on Sluice. We left the Jeep there and came back the next day for the repair.

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

first map ive seen of the area...yup....wahoo, cobra, and corum were the trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

That map is about 5-years old now and a lot has changed up there, including trail difficulty ratings and the number of trails. I heart that place.

If you ever go back, run the ET trail and take the center line. You'll see what I mean once you're there. It's a lot of rock, big rocks in places, but your truck can do it. Just trust the truck. It makes you giggle.
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Definitely a great time and hope we can do it again soon! Thanks to Charles and the OCC guys for the invite.
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:10 PM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

I'm in for Cove Campout after yesterday's event, thanks to OCC and Charles. Great time, hope to see some of you all at Cove Campout '10.
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'll say it again, thanks very much to Charles for letting me know about the event. Also many thanks to Jeff for letting me ride along!
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Anytime Granny...now keep the photos coming! Maybe you can create an album on one of the many photo sites out there and post a link?
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Anytime Granny...now keep the photos coming! Maybe you can create an album on one of the many photo sites out there and post a link?
Will do, gotta make the photos look all "purty" first. I'll post 'em up as I make 'em!

Looking through the shots, I didn't get a single shot of Doug and his disco except while the gurus were disconnecting the sway bar. Sorry, Doug!
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
lello

Your AA D90 is looking good- glad to see you guys had a good time. I wish I had the weekend free....dang it!

Quote:
Definitely a great time and hope we can do it again soon! Thanks to Charles and the OCC guys for the invite.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:03 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Good times for sure. Good seeing those of you I know, and nice meeting those of you I met for the first time.

Yes the guys in the 201 group went up cobra and then hopped on to corum where they meet up and then ran into trouble at some point. Not sure why you guys went on the 201 Kevin as I think you would have had a blast with the 101 group.

On Saturday there were about 12 rigs in the 101 group and we started out at the 101 play area near camp 6 - where the poser shots were taken, and got a chance to do some recovery demonstration and moved on to snake. On snake Adam lost a bead coming down a rock while having his wheels turned hard to the left to avoid a tree. We used said tree to winch the front of the truck up and used a ratchet strap and my co2 tank to re-seat the bead and re-inflate. Otherwise no damage and everyone did well. We then did loop 10 before heading back to camp because a couple people needed to leave early. Most if not all the remaining people out of both groups then went up pinnacle and took a look at the view, then came back to camp for dinner. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

Yesterday we split into two groups and I took a group up trickle, up cobra (skipping the Corum section since we had a guy with us who was wheeling for his second time the first being Saturday), went down u-turn easy, up u-turn hard, then followed upper road out. We took what I believe is Death Valley (maybe Boulder at that point not sure - a slight left turn off upper road after ET etc) for a while , but the off camber sections made one of our group squeamish and when we got to the rock garden a quick scouting trip on foot didn't give me any confidence that we'd want to continue (I have never gone that way before). So we back tracked a bit and cut down to the trail below it that which eventually dropped us back out on middle road.

The access roads seem in really bad shape compared to what I remember - over just the last year or so. Odd. Anyway, had a great time.

charles
p.s. Jeff you look like a friggin country bumpkin in that one shot. LOL
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I had a blast this weekend. It was nice to see you gals/guys again.

Thanks to Charles for letting me ride shotgun.

I think my truck will the out of commission next trip... that way it will not brake (more)... hehe.

For those of you interested in the rigging equipment, this is the company I've used in the past.

www.induscowirerope.com

Also, here is the a link of the Crosby counterfeit:

http://www.fyc.ca/docs/csacrosby.pdf
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Had a great time and it was nice meeting all of you! Looking foward to the next one there. For those who tried to help, the rear windows worked fine as soon as I got home. hmmmm.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post
Had a great time and it was nice meeting all of you! Looking foward to the next one there. For those who tried to help, the rear windows worked fine as soon as I got home. hmmmm.
Murphy's law
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
p.s. Jeff you look like a friggin country bumpkin in that one shot. LOL[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?!? Granny, where's the rest of the pics...preferably some where I don't look like a country bumpkin!
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
What are you talking about?!? Granny, where's the rest of the pics...preferably some where I don't look like a country bumpkin!
Maybe it's just me but the shape of the hat and the way you are wearing it cracks me up.

http://media.backpurge.com/07182010/i.jpg

If granny sonoronos processes pictures at the speed he drives we are in for a long haul. Better pack a lunch. BTW Ed, the last few photos on that page don't load.
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Holy cow! Jeff looks like one them Duke boys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Maybe it's just me but the shape of the hat and the way you are wearing it cracks me up.

http://media.backpurge.com/07182010/i.jpg

If granny sonoronos processes pictures at the speed he drives we are in for a long haul. Better pack a lunch. BTW Ed, the last few photos on that page don't load.
I hadn't looked at that one...thanks Granny! As an aside, I will be accepting applications for a new co-pilot on the next trip. Perhaps one who takes more flattering photos!
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yah, totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Holy cow! Jeff looks like one them Duke boys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	29500  
Attached Images

Old July 19th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When Jeff wheels, I hear a lot of "Yeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaww" and Waylon Jennings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
event, nova, wheel