NOVA HH Wheeling Event? - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I am planning on heading out there. My buddy wants leave Friday afternoon. But, Im not sure that is going to happen because we wont get out till late (4-5pm because of gf). Anyhow, I will be out there this weekend, whether we leave Friday or Saturday.

Where planning on going? Flagpole area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm still going to Gore and will make an official post for it tonight or tomorrow. This link has some basic info although the links to the flyer and schedule need updating.

http://offcambercrawlers.com/learn4x4/
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Someone PM me the details once everything is figured out. I got lost in the 6-pages of planning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There really wasn't any planning that took place. The scouting trip didn't happen today because no one else wanted to play hookie. The general plan is to meet in Manassas/Gainesville along 66 at some point on Saturday morning and roll to GWNF. We'll get our passes and hit the trails. We'll stop for lunch and wheel some more. Those that want to stay and camp overnight can do so. More details will be posted (not PM'd) later in the week once we firm up participants.

http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte... Forests- Home

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I'm a little lost on where you're actually going. I've seen Flagpole Knob mentioned, but now you're talking about passes so that leads me to believe you're thinking of going to the trails in Edinburg, I.E. Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
He hasn't been down to GWNF before. Hook a brother up and give him the grand tour!
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:04 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

DChapman (Dan) lives out that way. Great guy and knows the area well. You dont need passes for GWNF out where I usually go (rt. 33 area). Or, you do, and I have just been plain ignorant all those times. Need to figure out where exactly in GWNF/Jefferson going- its a big forest. Charles- are you suggesting we head to Gore for the classes? is the class full?
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'm suggesting you do whatever interests you. I'm thrilled to see an interest in wheeling period and just want to lt people know what options they have. Classes are not full afaik.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:21 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

You do not need passes for the Rt.33 area. That's only for the OHV area near Edinburg, VA.

I'll tell you, though, our area sucks anymore. It's a great place to go once you have snow, but trail wise, the area sucks.

There are some amazing rides you can do her if you're a fire road wheeler. The views, scenery, and a "get lost" terrain make it a nice place to take your girlfriend and fill her up with Tylenol PM's and white wine.

But we've lost damn near everything we've got. It's all closed up. All the muddy trails and the foot of the MTN of Rt.33 have been shut down. Trout Unlimited was to thank for that one. They've also installed a gate at the 2nd MTN entrance on the Rt.33 side. You can still access 2nd MTN, but you must either go up Dictum Ridge (rock ledge; f/r locker and 35"+ tires needed. And a winch) or drive all the way around the MTN on the hard surface (25 minutes) to the back side. It's basically one-way-in, one-way-out.

Dunkel Hollw is still open. That trail is Barbie Jeep Rated but it's a nice ride.

Flag Pole Road is open, too (FR-85).Those trails will both intercept Union Springs Road. Union Springs Road will be the
best" trail in the area if you come in from the dam side (Ottibine Road, I think). Again, both nice trails, but nothing "hard".

Camping is amazing on top of the MTN. Not many bugs, cool nights, nice views... Lots of places to camp, too.

I don't know much about Edinburg, though.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The point of this trip was more of a caravan trail ride, not really serious wheeling as I want it to be family friendly. If the temperature is cool enough, I'll be bringing my 3 year old and my buddy will have his 2 year old. There are some wives going too.

I've never been there, so I'd be happy to let someone who has lead the way.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2010 03:26 PM ------

UPDATE: Change of plans. Due to limited interest we are shifting the NOVA Wheeling Event to coincide/co-locate with the Off Camber Crawlers event at The Cove. There are not many opportunities to wheel at The Cove, so we can take advantage of this, plus help out OCC with potential new members.

The plan will still be to meet up along 66 and caravan to The Cove

You will need to sign up (see CGalpins post - 102) and bring $$ to pay to wheel and camp (the event itself is free).

Charles will be posting a separate thread for this event.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2010 03:27 PM ------

UPDATE: Change of plans. Due to limited interest we are shifting the NOVA Wheeling Event to coincide/co-locate with the Off Camber Crawlers event at The Cove. There are not many opportunities to wheel at The Cove, so we can take advantage of this, plus help out OCC with potential new members.

The plan will still be to meet up along 66 and caravan to The Cove

You will need to sign up (see CGalpins post - 102) and bring $$ to pay to wheel and camp (the event itself is free).

Charles will be posting a separate thread for this event.[/QUOTE]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post

I don't know much about Edinburg, though.
Only thing legal for a truck in the Edinburg area is Peters Mill Run and it might as well be paved. Taskers Gap across the street from Peters Mill is really ATV only. Plus, you have to get a pass to play there now.

Of course it might not even be there anymore. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...d0b7a&_cview=1

Could be closed.
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

The Cove is a really cool place. Tons to do there.

Don't forget about the Cove in September http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26022
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

You all camping or going to a hotel? Im planning on bringing the GF and camping.
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If I stay overnight i will camp. I know Speedpin is camping too.

Semper Fi!
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I emailed Dustin earlier today and just signed up. I have my gf and 2 buddies coming. I think they are going to just hang out and maybe bring some dirt bikes and a few guns and head to the range. We are getting a campsite (not sure where it will be).
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I email and signed up for Sat and Sun as well. Who else is in?

Semper Fi!
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Just created a thread for the event, sorry for the delay. Feel free to post there saying you are coming too.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...d.php?p=230386
Old July 18th, 2010, 01:19 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Here's a few pics of things that y'all that didn't get a chance to attend missed. I'll keep adding more pics to http://media.backpurge.com/07182010/. Thanks to OCC and all of you D-90 folks. Awesome event and great seeing all of you again.

Old July 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
awwww man, sorry I missed it.

Semper Fi!
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Unfortunately...got back from the Cove last night instead of today. My GF and 2 buddies were pretty beat up after running the trails with the 201 class and I had to give in and bring her back. I had a great time though.

OCC was great- very professional and helpful. The 201 trail we ran was pretty intense, for me anyways. Lots of rocks, narrow, trees, and very challenging. Only 1 broken drive shaft and I added some more dents. A fair amount of locker use for some. Definately a white knuckle ride for a rookie (me). It no doubt worth it though.

We ran Cobra, and then onto a another that starts with an O (i think) that had a 300 yard up hill rock garden that was too intense for the d2.

The campground was great, and a great place for the family. Thanks to everyone from OCC, and good meeting some new people.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
event, nova, wheel