NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly - Page 73 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ok, so let's hear some feedback on Kilroys?

I obviously like it. We had a good turnout, plenty of room in the parking lot, decent food and prices, dive bar atmosphere.

For me the travel time is 10-15 minutes shorter but not a huge factor as it still took me over 45 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Surprisingly I really liked it...the fact that the deck is situated in the back facing the woods gives me the "illusion" that I'm not in some crappy strip mall. Plus, a HUGE parking lot...we could take up that whole back strip by the woods with our rigs without consequence. I'm mean, let's face it - we jacked up Ed's rig and did a complete tire change and put the new rims & rubber on there without anyone giving us a look.

Charles - I bet you could cut down the FFX County Parkway and then take Braddock Road east...it would probably be a heck of a lot quicker for you, and psuedo reverse-commute.

It has my vote for a permanent status.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
My commute was a bit rought... but that a side.

Great turnout and great atmosphere.

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Charles - I bet you could cut down the FFX County Parkway and then take Braddock Road east...it would probably be a heck of a lot quicker for you, and psuedo reverse-commute.
Yes I go that way sometimes. I was going to yesterday and decided to go the beltway to get a feel for it at this hour since I know others have to go that way. It really wasn't that bad. But I'll definitely try the back roads if we ever make this a regular spot. If you don't catch the lights on Braddock (and there are a ton of them), it can still take quite a while.

Let's get some more feedback before turning our attention to the next spot to try.

------ Follow up post added May 27th, 2011 01:16 PM ------

Quote:
Plus, a HUGE parking lot...we could take up that whole back strip by the woods with our rigs without consequence. I'm mean, let's face it - we jacked up Ed's rig and did a complete tire change and put the new rims & rubber on there without anyone giving us a look.
And as crazy as it sounds this is a big draw for me. I think every happy hour should include a little wrenching.
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
And as crazy as it sounds this is a big draw for me. I think every happy hour should include a little wrenching.
I can actually get stuff done to my truck... I like it.

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
You have to get your truck to HH first though - major flaw in your logic there
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
You have to get your truck to HH first though - major flaw in your logic there
I can push it there...

Old May 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

It was nice meeting you guys. I liked Kilroys. Based on the name I was expecting an Irish bar. The bizarre beach theme they had going on was a nice suprise. Plus I thought the drive from Arlington was going to terrible - I came via Rt50 to 495 and it was not bad at all.
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
My commute was a bit rought... but that a side.

Great turnout and great atmosphere.
Pedro...I assume you're kidding? You live right around the corner from me, and what is Kilroy's - 3 miles from our house? Goose may come down to bash you good based on that statement (unless you were being sarcastic).

------ Follow up post added May 27th, 2011 02:14 PM ------

Quote:
100% agree...that was the most entertainment of the night, and things we never got away with at Jay's (or most other places for that matter). We had the entire back lot to ourselves! Heck, I could do an oil change back there and probably not even have anyone look at me sideways!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE

Registry
Liked the place, the waitress was a moron , when you guys went outside to check Ed's ride, they brought me my burger, I ate few fries, and they came back to tell me " No no it is not your food, did you eat it , I said: just few fries, so she said : Well we can add more fries, took the damn plate and gave it to someone else.

And the commute was lovely ( 5 minutes shy of 3 hours to make a 60 mi trip , mind you most of that time occurs in the last 20 miles )

Pedro STFU about the commute *LOL*
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And the commute was lovely ( 5 minutes shy of 3 hours to make a 60 mi trip , mind you most of that time occurs in the last 20 miles )
Any chance you can move to Virginia?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:01 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Any chance you can move to Virginia?
that just seems like the most logical option so far! I am a fan of Kilroy's...I think it is fairly centrally located (sorry Gus) and definitely has plenty of parking and the deck area can easily accommodate as big as a crowd as we can gather. Still want to check out a few others though
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
It is okay guys, I am okay with Kilroys, maybe I win the lottery and buy a heli

as far as moving, well if I sell my 1br condo, I could probably buy a Carboard Box in VA *LMAO*
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

sorry i missed it. i planned on stopping by for a few, but spent the day trying to get the a/c in my acura fixed.

sounds like kilroys in the new spot.
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
It is not Jay's.... and it a little big for my taste... but it'll do.

But we should test drive a few others before we get carried away with the magic of a single night.
Sterling, VA
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:09 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
It is not Jay's.... and it a little big for my taste... but it'll do.

But we should test drive a few others before we get carried away with the magic of a single night.
Ihave been suggesting PH#7 in 7 corners http://publichouseno7.com/ for next month... a british bar.
btw I saw the occ jeep grill, I have a classic grill I will be willing to donate to a permanent bar, all of us can sign it and then of course hang it at the bar.
Jefferson, the white rangie you and I spoke of in arlington was owned by Woodie as far as I know he sold it but dont know who purchased from him.
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And the commute was lovely ( 5 minutes shy of 3 hours to make a 60 mi trip , mind you most of that occurs in the last 20 miles )
Goose - I've been meaning to ask you, what way do you come down from Sykesville? I bet if you took the BW Parkway all the way to the southern end of the beltway (where it drops you by the Wilson Brodge) and then went on 495 across the bridge towards Alexandria/Springfield it may be less painful. Are you going 270 to 495/Tysons?

I could probably write a thesis on the traffic around here.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:55 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Kilroy's isn't bad that one is the hangout of Fairfax county firefighters. The deck isn't always available though. The race company i work for rents the deck out for our end of the year party. Sorry I missed ya'll. Plus for me is its on my way home from work
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 6th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...7&postcount=10

Hey guys, since Frank ( MongosD2 ) will be in the area, how do you feel to move the HH to this Thursday or maybe next week to a Tuesday instead of Thursday.

I can pick him up in Bethesda and take him to wherever HH is or we can have a HH in Rockville/Bethesda area

Thoughts?
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
For a "special" HH in the Bethesda area, there are few choices. As you probably know, Bethesda is so insanely yuppified.
The (Scottish) Royal Mile pub in Wheaton along with its Irish counterpart, which is across the street, plus the big public parking lot half a block away makes it an almost no brainer.
If one absolutely must stay in the Bethesda area, then the Bethesda Crab House is hard to beat.
I'm guessing he's here for the US Open.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
dementia, disturbing, dood, gay nachos, happy hour, nova, pathetic, third thursday monthly, virginia is for lovers