NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Or stop driving to Arlington

Hey, ever since we got running water out here, we have all kinds of stores coming out here. We even have a Home Depot now..

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2010 09:26 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
meh...coming into town in the evening you are going against traffic.
Drive it sometime, and report back. There is no such thing as driving against traffic here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post

Drive it sometime, and report back. There is no such thing as driving against traffic here.
Live closer in and take public transportation then . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Lol

now that Jay's is smoke free it is alot better.
I thought that the only good thing about Jay's in the first place was that you could smoke. Well, cigars anyways. I'd vote for some where new too with a better selection of drinks. Or I could just keep doing what I've been doing, happy hour on my deck by the fire.

Is Mr. Smith's in Tyson Corner still open? Plenty of parking and although, I haven't been there in years, they used to have some decent beers and dart boards. Bring your own darts though.
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:

It may be bad (done it plenty) but it is even worse heading out of town.
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ugh, everyone seems to be missing the point. Some of us have been traveling an hour plus to HH for YEARS and even mentioning having it somewhere where god for bid other may have to drive an hour plus gets a bunch of girls whining about driving in traffic. Waaah Waaaah Waaah.

This will be my last comment on this topic. Pussies
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Ugh, everyone seems to be missing the point. Some of us have been traveling an hour plus to HH for YEARS and even mentioning having it somewhere where god for bid other may have to drive an hour plus gets a bunch of girls whining about driving in traffic. Waaah Waaaah Waaah.

This will be my last comment on this topic. Pussies
So where would you like to have it at? Name some places. What's near you that has a good selection of beers and plenty of parking? I don't mind driving out there for a happy hour. I'm just not a fan of Jay's even more so now that Va is smoke free. If I can't smoke a cigar, I at least want to have a nice cold fresh Guinness and not have to sit in a plastic lawn chair.

What about switching back and forth each time? One time out near you and then the next out over here?
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
looks like my suggestion of impromptu parking lot tailgate party is begining to sound good to a few...lol
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:46 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

smoking indoors...... drinks...... lots of parking....

Well, see you all at Charlestown Races and Slots.
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, I put in a vote for moving the whole thing to Maryland or DC, but then it wouldn't be the NoVa HH any more. Thing is, an event has to have a home. At present it is Jay's. Until we get to a point that it is too small a venue we will keep it. I can't think of a "better" place, in fact, it is quite a good fit in my opinion. Smallish, not really comfortable, loud, somewhat disheveled...am I describing Jay's or my truck? Let's leave well enough alone for the time being.

------ Follow up post added January 15th, 2010 08:38 AM ------

Well, see you all at Charlestown Races and Slots.

EEEeeeewwww. Skeeve Central.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Traffic out this way isn't bad once you get on the toll road. Like I said there's Vintage 51 in the South Riding shopping center. Its an off shoot of www.vintage50.com out in Leesburg which is a brew pub with damn good beer. The beer selection is very good and the foods not bad.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You and Charles should put together the NoVa HH West group. We'll miss ya at Jay's.

Old January 15th, 2010, 09:22 AM
JMPDIV82
Gregg O'Neill
97/D90

I might be overstepping my bounds here since I have never attended a HH.......but....
How does Dog Head Fish Ale House sound? http://www.dogfishalehouse.com/ . Itís in Fairfax off RTE 50.
Great Micro beer and a large Parking lot. Did I mention it's has great beer!
Cheers
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
i suggested that but the consensus was that the parking lot while huge still requires one to drive around forever looking for a spot. maybe if we did it monday or tuesday night instead of friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPDIV82 View Post
I might be overstepping my bounds here since I have never attended a HH.......but....
How does Dog Head Fish Ale House sound? http://www.dogfishalehouse.com/ . It’s in Fairfax off RTE 50.
Great Micro beer and a large Parking lot. Did I mention it's has great beer!
Cheers
i think our little Happy Hour location issue is kind of a microcosm of what is wrong with this whole area. SPRAWL. With insufficient infrastructure to support it. I hnestly feel like it would take me almost 1.5 hours to get out to Charles' neighborhood in evening rush hour on a friday. Dude, you live out in BFE. Jay's is convenient to a greater number of people than any of the other outlying locations, which are typically only really convenient to the person(s) suggesting them. That said, if anyone wants to arrange something somewhere else, just set a time and date and see who shows up.
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, first remember no-one suggested a permanent venue change afaik. This is all about occasionally having it at a different location than Jays, and some of us would like to try a location closer to us for a change. I am also willing to try locations further than Jays for a change as well like Chef Geoff's as I have said numerous times.

At least you are willing to admit it's about the drive. It's not about the place - there are dozens and dozens of suitable places. It's not abut parking. I have never had trouble getting a spot at Jays and unless were talking downtown I don't consider it an issue. It's about the drive.

So all I am suggesting is that once in a while those with 5-20 minute drives do a 1-1.5hr drive in trade for those who do 1-1.5hr drives every single damn time. This appears to be too much to ask.

And lest you think the westerly people are a significant minority, think again. Jonathan, Tyler, Loic, Robbie and I would all benefit from having a happy hour west of the beltway occasionally. Now before you belt out "but they don't all come regularly", THINK why perhaps they don't...Because they have to drive an hour plus you ding dongs.

Yes it will really affect Doug, Bill, maybe others when we do, so maybe they would skip those if it's too much to ask. But in general I maintain you are a bunch of whiners .

Anywhoo, I consider this a dead end. When the weather warms up I'll host one here and if none of you come then so be it
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

+1
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:37 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
>I'll host one here and if none of you come then so be it

Yeah you'll have to get a whole heck of a lot cuter. It's not about the drive.

Old January 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden
Help me fill this please!

We have a Chef Geoff's in Tysons Corner too. I am not 100% sure of the parking but I can talk to the General Manager and see what he has to say. Just an option that would be really easy, right off of 495 on Route 7. Sorry to chime in with another place, but it sounds like Tysons is somewhat in the 'middle' for a lot of people, so I figured I would put the option out there and if it gets enough interests I could dig further about parking and such.

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
>I'll host one here and if none of you come then so be it

Yeah you'll have to get a whole heck of a lot cuter. It's not about the drive.
Maybe for you. But I'm just throwing my place out there because it avoids the discussion getting derailed by what the place is, and it wouldn't hurt to have it family friendly. Tysons would work for a change. Pick any place west of the beltway and you'll satisfy my request of trying some place further west.
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
still in arlington we have "rhoades grill" at corner of roadhes and wilson... they have a pool basement but street parking.... so it is a bear to park...
accross the street from my old employer arlington motor cars we have "guajillo" a mexican grill, parking is a little better and if after six we can even park at the shop (old employer).
still on wilson blvd closer to the courthouse we have the irish corner, parking can be a premiun and they have a deck out on the back....
in sure there are some other good ones but cant think of them... what about at the old rail yard in cristal city?
my way in annandale?.
to me jays is ok, some of the food can leave a little some thing to be desired but it's all fun... a little noisy at times, then again it is a bar so it's to be expected (darn im gettin' old, im complaining about noisy bars).
granted I have not bee to many HH's but im open to ventures and suggestions..... it s my schedule that can intrefer sometimes....
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Firemanshort votes for a Tysons venue (I work in Tysons - Lucky me).

I totally agree with everything Charles says - but I am that odd duck that thinks Jay's is neat because the food and beer are super cheap and it is such a total dive - with a mixed up Arlington clientele - that I think it fits a Rover HH.

So, you can see I am all over the board and no help towards making a decision.

I think I might be able to make the FEB 19 edition – and it has perfect timing to tell lies about how cool our trucks were at Winter Romp and how we never broke down and never got stuck….. (if we make it back )
Sterling, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
dementia, disturbing, dood, gay nachos, happy hour, nova, pathetic, third thursday monthly, virginia is for lovers