NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly - Page 180 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Funny - that think looks familiar...

Too bad about the E30 in LeMons. The running joke is that E30s make poor LeMons cars for whatever reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Some of you may have noticed already in the For Sale Parts Section that I'm offering misc parts for sale/donations to raise funds for a Kilimanjaro trip I'm doing in October. The trip is being organized by a foundation my company established earlier this year for its Every Child Everywhere initative. I've committed to paying my way to/from and raising $5,000 to participate.

Thinking of ways to ask for cash is tough. It's much easier for me to ask for money if I'm giving something in return.

I have a cabin in Wintergreen, Virginia which is 3 hours door to door from the DC area. I offer it here as I have to assume the NOVA crowd can take advantage easier.

We (the family) find Wintergreen a pretty nice place. We've been there for over 10 years now. Its very family focused so not tons of crazy nightlife to be had on the mtn, per se. There's some nice brew bars in the valley though. It's also about 30 mins from Shoe Creek which is a nice trail run anytime.

If you visit the WTG site you'll see there is a ton of stuff to do all year round. From the Wintergreen location there is a ton of stuff to do as well. The temps in the Summer on the mtn are excellent. We were there over the 4th and it never got over 75.

www.wintergreenresort.com

If interested or if you have questions you can email me at clay.ayers@hotmail.com

Summer $175/night, Fall $200/night, Ski Season $225/night

Sleeps six (two bedrooms and a sleeping loft)

$75 housekeeping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2328_4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	75613   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabin 008.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	75614  

Name:	2328_7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	75615   Click image for larger version

Name:	on-the-zip300px.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	75616  

Name:	2328_3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	75617   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabin 007.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	75618  

Name:	wtg 2012.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	75619   Click image for larger version

Name:	dock--lake-350px.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	75620  

Name:	2328_8.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	75621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121229-00764.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	75622  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 08:13 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
Funny - that think looks familiar...

Too bad about the E30 in LeMons. The running joke is that E30s make poor LeMons cars for whatever reason.
Eh? E30 and E36 have won more races, have more top 10 finishes, and has the smallest percentages of DNFs of any other car in Lemons and Chumpcar. Jay and Phil hate them for this very reason, hence it is difficult to get them into full LeMon races unless you are bringing a good theme. This is why most are moving over to the faster ChumpCar series where ~40% of the field are E30 and E36s going up and beating V-8 and turbo cars.
Looking forward to meeting over beers at HH one day.
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:43 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

LeMons is more about the spectacle and the struggle than it is about the car - I'm always amused that the Overall Winner is "mentioned" but the focus is on the Judge's Choice and the IOE winners.

Haven't been involved with ChumpCar - I'm already balancing a multitude of spinning plates. I fear that adding 1 more will send them all crashing down (faster).
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
LeMons appeal, following and demise to some, is the circus at the track atmosphere. Where else can you find a Cessna 310 racing with a camper trailer, a boat, etc.? However, the slower cars are starting to get scrutinized more (viewed as a hazard by many) and our sister teamís MGB failed tech at SP for the first time. The cage and fuel cell are being addressed and the 4-banger is being yanked for a 3.5 Rover V-8 (might have been sourced by Carlos?). Interesting what another 100+ HP and 70 lbs weight savings will do. Will find out at NJMP next month.

The Union Jack needs better representation. NOVA HH needs to collaborate on getting a Land Rover out there. Not a stretch as a Willys DJ-5 was built last year. Perhaps OG Racing can help us out?
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:17 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

I did BS tech but had done Safety Tech in the past. I get the impression that Jay and Jeff are doing Safety themselves to ensure consistency. I've seen some scary items come thru Tech including the car with a tacked-together cage AND a team owner who honestly thought he could bribe his way out of the situation. Bribes for your claim of a $50 junk-yard "crate motor", yes - Bribes for your claim that a fuel cell with an oil-rag cap - not-so-much.

Interestingly enough, Jeff, the fellow who ran control for the event, had an LR and currently owns an MG TC. He followed me out to Rt7 on Sat evening - I asked him on Sun if he was getting high on the exhaust fumes...
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:15 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
What do you mean doesn't fit? You know you could have plugged in the new switch as a test before pulling the steering wheel right?
I mean the mounting holes on the bracket don't match the ones on the switch. Yeah I realized after I pulled the wheel that I could have just plugged it in. The flash to pass work so...
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The Union Jack needs better representation. NOVA HH needs to collaborate on getting a Land Rover out there. Not a stretch as a Willys DJ-5 was built last year. Perhaps OG Racing can help us out? [/FONT][/COLOR]
It'd be a hoot to do a soccer-mom themed disco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
It'd be a hoot to do a soccer-mom themed disco.
I know of a white 5 speed on Craigslist for months that would be perfect to wring out...all it needs is a stick figure family and some honor roll bumper stickers and we're on the move...
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I know of a white 5 speed on Craigslist for months that would be perfect to wring out...all it needs is a stick figure family and some honor roll bumper stickers and we're on the move...
Perfect! Cut the coils, install baby seats throughout, flip the manifolds and extend through the hood with flappers and run it!

Old July 10th, 2013, 11:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
I mean the mounting holes on the bracket don't match the ones on the switch. Yeah I realized after I pulled the wheel that I could have just plugged it in. The flash to pass work so...
It's in a thread somewhere but I ran into this too. Didn't take much modification to make it fit though.

Odd because I had the same symptoms and the switch cured it.
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Quote:
Perfect! Cut the coils, install baby seats throughout, flip the manifolds and extend through the hood with flappers and run it!
Given that the IOE winner in DC was driving an Austin Marina, cars representing the leaky sump, er the Union Jack, certainly have a chance for grandeur. What kind of grandeur is another matter entirely...

The caveat with LeMons is a maximum vehicle weight limitation which states 4200# manufacturer's stated kerb weight. I have doubts that any "modern" Rover product would meet that requirement although they do apparently provide waivers.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
install baby seats throughout
And some fake babies to put in the baby seats Maybe Starbucks can sponsor the truck...
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Curb weight may kick our ass boys...but I bet if we pulled all the glass from it except windscreen, all the wet insulation under the carpet, etc we could get it down in a good range!
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
Given that the IOE winner in DC was driving an Austin Marina, cars representing the leaky sump, er the Union Jack, certainly have a chance for grandeur. What kind of grandeur is another matter entirely...

The caveat with LeMons is a maximum vehicle weight limitation which states 4200# manufacturer's stated kerb weight. I have doubts that any "modern" Rover product would meet that requirement although they do apparently provide waivers.
Not a problem. The office base curb weight of a 1995 Disco 3-door V-8 is 4200 lbs. Just bring this datasheet to tech. A bottle of Scotch, too.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...8i_3-door.html

The curb weight of this bad boy is 4352 lbs. These Behemoths are always in the back of your mind on the track as the last thing you need is to get t-boned by one of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2687.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	75696  
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Not a problem. The office base curb weight of a 1995 Disco 3-door V-8 is 4200 lbs. Just bring this datasheet to tech. A bottle of Scotch, too.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...8i_3-door.html
Scotch being critical to help gloss over the extra 2 doors of course.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I wanted to do this a while back but couldn't get anyone fired up about it. Even had Pedro find me a $500 disco too. I have too much going on to even consider it now.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
I wanted to do this a while back but couldn't get anyone fired up about it. Even had Pedro find me a $500 disco too. I have too much going on to even consider it now.
Yes, I remember you mentioning it at HH. At the time, I was thinking about the expense of running/maintaining/racing such a thing. Far too rich for my blood

It lies in the realm of things I think "would be cool" but really want someone else to do
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
It's in a thread somewhere but I ran into this too. Didn't take much modification to make it fit though.

Odd because I had the same symptoms and the switch cured it.
All it would take is enlarging the hole where the pivot sticks through. I put the old switch back and they worked when I turned the truck on. Soo....but now the thing is running though. Go figure
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:12 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Good coverage of the 36-hr ChumpCar race last weekend. Could an old beater Disco even last 36 hours? That is the challenge, and what makes this so fun, for all.
http://www.kxly.com/sports/meet-the-...0/-/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
dementia, disturbing, dood, gay nachos, happy hour, nova, pathetic, third thursday monthly, virginia is for lovers