NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly - Page 144 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I parked in a spot very similar to that girl and it was not illegal, only had a light pole in the back of the spot so it was shallow! What do you mean your presence is questionable?!? If you don't show then give my skid to Lav or Doug!
When I spoke with Jason he told me he is not sure if he is going.

The yellow line means NO PARKING.

Anywhoo... I have to attend a school activity and cannot make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
That is right Pedro, I evade the Dunkin Donuts Stockholders as much as possible.. but that day in the parking lot, you were running away when you heard Jason say " Those guys look like ICE "

I told you many times.. your American Express does not constitute legal admission in the country
I sense I hit a never here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post

The yellow line means NO PARKING.

Anywhoo... I have to attend a school activity and cannot make it.
I will check with Doug but if he can't make it can I swing by tomorrow to grab the parts from you? Would be after 3PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I will check with Doug but if he can't make it can I swing by tomorrow to grab the parts from you? Would be after 3PM
I can leave them in the RRC so you guys can grab them.
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:23 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I can leave them in the RRC so you guys can grab them.
that works...I will figure it out with him. Leave the keys in the RRC too so we can take it for a ride!
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Leaning towards trying to go if things don't hit the fan with work between now and tomorrow.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf

that works...I will figure it out with him. Leave the keys in the RRC too so we can take it for a ride!
You can drive it, like you stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

Leaning towards trying to go if things don't hit the fan with work between now and tomorrow.
Keep me posted.

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE

Registry
Quote:
LOL, I only have one nerve left and you always lay on it
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:37 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier

LOL, I only have one nerve left and you always lay on it
hehe

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
On the road this week and need to miss.

If Craig, Jeff, Clay, Charles, etc. could pickup my 10L wine jug from Tony, that would be a big help. At least get it closer my way.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Can any of you guys recommend a place locally to buy long runs of quality battery cable? I have used West Marine in the past for short runs, and while the quality is good, the cost adds up fast. Wondering if there is a better deal out there. I would prefer not to order it online. I need some 2AWG for a winch install.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
why not order it? I use welding cable as it is more flexible and conducts better since it has more strands i.e more surface area. the insulation is not as oil/abrasion resistant as good battery cable, but I ran it inside some 7/8" heater hose, problem solved. would have done that with
the battery cable too anyway.

oh, and use 1/0 or 2/0, 2 sounds small. I think that is what usually ships with the winches but you are going alot further on a typical Defender install.

FYI I will be @ happy hour around 5 ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
Can any of you guys recommend a place locally to buy long runs of quality battery cable? I have used West Marine in the past for short runs, and while the quality is good, the cost adds up fast. Wondering if there is a better deal out there. I would prefer not to order it online. I need some 2AWG for a winch install.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We can talk about it later but 2AWG may be a little light depending on the amps your winch pulls. I am sure you have searched and know there are at least a few threads about it here.

That aside, what are you considering local? I picked up some 1/0 from Auto Outfitters in Manassas last year. I believe it was around $4/ft and a very nice cable with a heavy jacket on it nut I would recommend calling before you make the trip as he doesn't keep a huge stock. I have also ordered 2AWG & 4AWG cable from Crutchfield in the past because you will have it the next day. Would assume most audio shops and possibly even Best Buy would have it too

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2012 09:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
why not order it? I use welding cable as it is more flexible and conducts better since it has more strands i.e more surface area. the insulation is not as oil/abrasion resistant as good battery cable, but I ran it inside some 7/8" heater hose, problem solved. would have done that with
the battery cable too anyway.

oh, and use 1/0 or 2/0, 2 sounds small. I think that is what usually ships with the winches but you are going alot further on a typical Defender install.

FYI I will be @ happy hour around 5 ish
FYI, think most winches ship with 4AWG but in a max of 6' length. With my cable routing, I needed about 12' per line
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Thanks guys - I had not fully considered the need to go up in size given the length of run but that makes sense. I'll pick your brains more fully tonight. I was hoping to find something local simply because I don't want to wait on shipping. I am going to try and get everything buttoned up Saturday morning.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

When I wired up my 8274 I went through the same debate so I called Warn. Their technical service people assured me that 2 AWG was fine up to something like 15'. I got mine from a welding supply shop in Fairfax on Gallows behind the old multiplex. They crimped on the ends for me as well.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Winch manufacturers seem like they are always happy to sell us on undersized products, like cable that is used to within an inch of its breaking strength and wire that is so small that the motor will overheat and stall reducing the duty cycle even further. So yes, your winch will work just fine with 2AWG but the same setup with 1/0 or 2/0 will work for alot longer. With your setup you will want to pay much more attention to rigging and pull angles to reduce the load on the motor. (and increase the time you and your buddies sit around waiting for you to get unstuck)

In other words @ 15' on full load you will be drawing signficant amps. You will have considerable voltage drop which will raise the amperage even more. All the amperage is too much for the small wire and will cause the motor overheat and thermal out. Maybe temporarily or maybe over time. Or if you only use it once every 5 years maybe never

jeff you can check out my install tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
When I wired up my 8274 I went through the same debate so I called Warn. Their technical service people assured me that 2 AWG was fine up to something like 15'. I got mine from a welding supply shop in Fairfax on Gallows behind the old multiplex. They crimped on the ends for me as well.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Thanks Dave. I would like to take a look at your set up.
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I'd go heavier gauge to lesson the losses. Your winch will perform better and last longer. I just wired mine up with 0/2.
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
The winch will perform either way.

What you are protecting is the wire.

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I swear I'm never riding the metro again. How about overheating, reduced torque, and reduced life?

V=IR
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I swear I'm never riding the metro again. How about overheating, reduced torque, and reduced life?

V=IR
As the voltage goes down, the amps go up and reduces the wire's life.

The motor power usage is the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
dementia, disturbing, dood, gay nachos, happy hour, nova, pathetic, third thursday monthly, virginia is for lovers