NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly - Page 119 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
How does rowing practice trump a once a month happy hour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 12:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

This year I am sweeping so I want to keep up with my teammates. At least until the first competition in July where my crusty self will be destroyed by an 8x filled with Charles-sized 20-somethings running 1:30 splits.

But practice ends at 8:00, so if anyone is still left, I will definitely come back. It's a short trip from the Boathouse to Kilroys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

Anyone got bobeck's number? I need to coordinate with him on some large items.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968 View Post
Anyone got bobeck's number? I need to coordinate with him on some large items.
pm'd to you...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Not sure if I can make it. Will try but am tearing out and replacing two windows tomorrow.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Not sure if I can make it. Will try but am tearing out and replacing two windows tomorrow.
Forecasting clear skies tomorrow. Leaving my windows out. .
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:11 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Ur Russell, I think he is referring to the windows in his house. Can't leave them out in that part of the world.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:27 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

and just like that, I can't make it tonight. Well, I might just won't be early!
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
bummer Blake!

So, I know Charles is driving his Series...what about Dave?? Are you leaving Sterling? CHarles where are you leaving from.

Seeing it is clear skies I will bring the series (no wipers) - so can we all meet up somewhere? Where, what time?
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I plan on leaving South Riding sometime between 5:15 and 5:30 and usually take Braddock to 66 as it's the least traffic. If the timing works and somewhere along this route is a good meeting point for you let me know. My cell is VA 728 9247.

You should be able to operate the wiper by hand if needed. I am topless too. Bring a wind breaker if worried about rain - you get some weird looks when it rains really hard but it's not that bad.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Craig, sadly the spare 4.6 bare block I had was thown away as scrap by my IDIOT brother in law, he decided to clean the shop at the farm and did not see use for an aluminum block so he threw it out.. " trust me he is at the top of my s..t list.
Im taking apart a 92 swb with a 70k 3.9... it ran but the the water pump/front cover broke while testing, I do have a replacement... some time ago I offered it to Charles but cant recall asking price... make me an offer and it may just be right... you can swap all the internals from a 4.2 into the 3.9 block.. the cylinder bore is the same it is the stroke of the crank and the throw of the rod which changes thus the difference in piston height... also the cam profile of the 4.2 is different from all others (if remember correctly it uses the same profile as the 4.6) but cannot be interchanged as the 4.6 does not have the provision for a distributor drive.
btw my 3.9 is in a rolling chasis with all drive train, no body... it will be striped and then taken to metal recycler.
the 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, and 4.6 share the same bore with different strokes...main difference is that 4.0 and 4.6 have cross bolted main caps the others dont... cylinder heads can be swapped accros all the way from the 3.5 so as long as the 4.6 is not secondary air the 3.5 has a different bore I think the crank stroke is the same as the 4.2... I have to verify those specs... ( they are in rave..."land rover resource dot com.") Pm me for more details
.................................................. .................................................. ................................................
Sadly buds I may miss this one, as you all know I just started a new municipal position which takes me into 10.30 at night... then my 63 yr old mother just underwent two cancer surgeries two weeks ago, now she is home so I feel the need to rush home and see after her just before going to bed...
needless to say my plate if pretty much full... I may swing by to say hello but it will be a little before 11:00 pm I dont know how many of you unsavory characters may be remaining by the time I get there.
in aweek or so she will have home nursing so next month my timing may be a little better aside from the 10:30 knock off which is etched in stone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
bummer Blake!

So, I know Charles is driving his Series...what about Dave?? Are you leaving Sterling? CHarles where are you leaving from.

Seeing it is clear skies I will bring the series (no wipers) - so can we all meet up somewhere? Where, what time?
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Craig - ready to roll from Dulles anytime this afternoon. We can meet like last month or at Charles' crib that works as well (and anything to avoid that deathblow 267/495 intersection). Looking forward to seeing this sweet barnyard find of yours.

Clay - going to make it tonight?
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Boo...long story short - I am in the CRV today...

Carlos - sorry you won't be able to make it tonight! Take care, bud.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
OK...I am going to call Charles - and meet at his crib...Russell, do you want to boogie up there - or meet along the road somewhere?

------ Follow up post added April 19th, 2012 10:45 AM ------

Thanks Carlos! I am not smart enough to wrench this myself, actually have no clue - so I am looking for an engine to drop in with the minimal amount of cost as I need to pay someone to do the work!
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
OK...I am going to call Charles - and meet at his crib...Russell, do you want to boogie up there - or meet along the road somewhere?
Boogie up there is best. Not sure if I will take 606s around the backside or 28s to 50w. Have to like this traffic.....
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
When I go to leesburg I take evergreen mills. Come anytime, although I may have to nip out at 4:50 to pick up my daughter from school. I'll PM you my address Craig.

Carlos is still your man for the job.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:21 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Boo...long story short - I am in the CRV today...

Carlos - sorry you won't be able to make it tonight! Take care, bud.
OK, I'll bite...what happened to the truck this time? wait, let me guess...your speedometer isn't reading correctly still so you are afraid to drive the truck? here is a hint, the only time you have not driven the speed limit (or stayed at least 10mph below it) is when you are following Charles or me to a wheeling event so you should be fine!!!
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Jeff, you act surprised he's not driving it. I didn't flinch when I read that.

Oh and Carlos, sorry you won't make it. I wouldn't bother trying to come that late. I for one can't stay too late and besides you having better things to do I doubt many will stay late either.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Fair, I can overhaul the 4.2 if that is what it needs, research which way you wanna go, if you want to you remove/ install I do the bench overhaul... there is a guy in upper north east,(vemont I think). Paul Grant I have aqquired many parts from him in the past, he may have a good used drop in engine at a reasonable price including shipping... he airlifts big parts so he may be able to send it to dulles.
(paul grant @ mac dot com)
Quote:

------ Follow up post added April 19th, 2012 10:45 AM ------

Thanks Carlos! I am not smart enough to wrench this myself, actually have no clue - so I am looking for an engine to drop in with the minimal amount of cost as I need to pay someone to do the work!
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Craig - ready to roll from Dulles anytime this afternoon. We can meet like last month or at Charles' crib that works as well (and anything to avoid that deathblow 267/495 intersection). Looking forward to seeing this sweet barnyard find of yours.

Clay - going to make it tonight?
I would really like to. Planets have finally lined up. No Lax or Baseball practice tonight for once. Just need to manage expectations at work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
dementia, disturbing, dood, gay nachos, happy hour, nova, pathetic, third thursday monthly, virginia is for lovers