Northern Virginia Happy Hour - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 26th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

glad i could stop by if only for a short while and good to see those who were there. thankfully didn't start raining hard until i pulled into the driveway, so stayed pretty dry. hope things worked out Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Experiences? Nothing out of the ordinary... Got semi lost while breaking down. Greg had to come rescue me (and so his meal got cold). Pretty much like half my trips to happy hour

Seriously, I missed my exit off 66 after sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for a half hour, and so took the next exit and attempted to work my way back. Right about then she started running rough and even though the headlights were working, my turn signals stopped working. Before I knew it, she konked out for good. I had noticed the battery charging gauge seemed to be a bit lower than usual, but I'm not sure if it's not charging yet, or a bad battery. Greg kindly came to pick me up and take me to NTB who shockingly couldn't tell me if my battery was bad or not. I ended up getting an overpriced battery, threw it in the truck and drove on to Jay's where a good time was had by all.

"Land Rover. It's not just a short drive to happy hour - it's an adventure!"

Good to see everyone and meet the new guys!

Sorry I missed you Robbie. See Greg - a real man would have driven his 101 sans top...

charles
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
(and so his meal got cold)
Nope, I was not going to let that happen.... Cold quesadilla is no good for your stomach. Warm quesadilla on the other hand.... real good!

Quote:
"Land Rover. It's not just a short drive to happy hour - it's an adventure!"
Now he is saying that but..... 4 hours earlier he was saying something different:
5:22 PM me: You driving Janey (Jamey?) there?
Charles: yup
me:
Make sure you take a good toolbox with you.
5:24 PM Charles: haha. non-believer!
I drove it here from Philly. A little trip to Arlington is nothing!
Quote:
See Greg - a real man would have driven his 101 sans top...
X2!!!
That reminds me of a trip back from Gore in pouring rain sans top (not a choice really, did not have one at all). When I arrived to the friend's party later that afternoon, I felt like a "real man" soaking wet maybe but a "real man", not sure everybody there agreed. Last night's rain was nothing, would have loved to see the 101!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
I can bring the tps, but the ignition amplifier module is something you should just go ahead and replace -- it's a known weak component and when mine went caused unending wierd drivability issues. STC1856 is your friend
Where can I get it for $180? It god-awful expensive at RN and AB

http://roversnorth.com/store/searcha...&Issubmit=True

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC1856G.cfm

At these prices I'd want to try my old ignition amplifier module, or find another used one before shelling out for it. Or other solutions in general
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:55 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Where can I get it for $180? It god-awful expensive at RN and AB
Ouch..... Maybe you just want to splice the wires and keep your existing amplifier? Or is there more to it?
I can take picture of my '95 (stock) setup and see how different yours is (someone probably did that already).
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Try DAP, I also found this on google: http://www.autopost.co.uk/Parts/classic.doc
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
mmh, $235 at DAP. better. I have emailed autopost to see what theirs would cost shipped - prob around the same.

Loic, you have to change the pickup plate which is half the cost it seems. The remote is essentially an normal module + diff pickup plate + wires
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It also includes a dummy module that mounts in the original location. If you're feeling clever I'm sure you could build one that's just as capable. You're welcome to use mine as a template.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:49 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Loic, you have to change the pickup plate which is half the cost it seems. The remote is essentially an normal module + diff pickup plate + wires
So I take it your current amplifier is a single component with both the pickup and amplifier integrated in a single box? If that's the case, any way you can hack it? i.e. cut open the box, split it in two (or more) pieces, solder some wires to the current pickup and attach wires to a (new?) remote amplifier?
I have no idea what the amplifier is for, so maybe what I'm saying makes no sense at all..... But those engines are very basic, so it can't be that complex!
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
yeah i dunno. At this point I'd like to prove this is the problem before replacing it though
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:14 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden
Help me fill this please!

hey guys, another question... I took my d90 to Arlington Motorcars b/c it wouldnt start again. As it turns out it is the fuel pump. They are saying its going to cost approx $900 to fix the darn thing. Does this sound right? Thanks for the help!

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
That is too much and you can definitely do it yourself. A new fuel pumps runs around $300 and all you need to do is drop the skid plate and tank. It's a perfect time to upgrade to a stainless skid plate (also around $300). 6 bolts and 3 hours of work.
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden

thanks! dont you have a plate for sale? or was that someone else?

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I have the stock skid plate for sale. I would recommend the plate from slickrock. Expedition Exchange sells it.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Be sure to get the bolts ready for removal in advance by spraying them with PB Blaster or some other penetrant!
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:40 AM
APaden
Anthony Paden

thanks for the help!

Seattle, WA

Old November 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
And make sure you are very low on gas, less weight in the tank makes it easier to handle.

It is common to snap the bolts off, so PB them plenty beforehand like Charles said.

Let me know if you want any help, I have dropped my tank a few times.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
That is too much and you can definitely do it yourself. A new fuel pumps runs around $300 and all you need to do is drop the skid plate and tank. It's a perfect time to upgrade to a stainless skid plate (also around $300). 6 bolts and 3 hours of work.
Jeeeezzzeee.... $300 for a fuel pump? I assume you are talking about the entire assembly right? If this is "just" the fuel pump not running then:
- make sure this is not a wiring/plug issue (impossible to diagnose until you have the gas tank removed)
- once you have the pump assembly out, don't open the package of the new one just yet, see if this is "just" the pump. On my '96 Disco (same engine, no idea about the fuel pump/auxiliaries....), I was able to buy a Buick (??? Corvette??? Whatever, see cross-reference table) for $80 (including the mesh filter at the bottom of the assembly) at a local parts store.
Anyway, in my case, that was a wiring/plug issue and after I took the fuel pump out (much easier in a disco.... No need to drop the tank! ), I ended up jerry-fixing it until I went to the DLR to buy that $30 harness (probably 2 feet long..... I knew copper was expensive, but plastic seems to be even more expensive). I am not saying this is a common problem, the guy at the parts department told me this was the first time he sold that harness (new guy maybe? ) but it happens and is much cheaper than a fuel pump/fuel pump assembly. (and yes I returned the used/unopened fuel pump I had spent two hours finding earlier that day)

Anyway, glad to hear that you were able to pin point the problem! On my disco, I kept having "issues" for about a year until it really died and would not restart (allowing me/my father to really diagnose the problem).

2 cents!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by APaden
As it turns out it is the fuel pump. They are saying its going to cost approx $900 to fix the darn thing. Does this sound right?
Ditto what was said earlier: way too much money (well.... This also takes time, so I guess this adds up! ;-) ), unless you want to find a better paying job and having them do it! ;-)
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3...fender-90.aspx

$300.

Here's one for sale: $100

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ight=fuel+pump
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
woah! DON"T EVER TAKE ANY VEHICLE THAT YOU CARE ABOUT TO ARLINGTON MOTORCARS!!!!!

I've been into LR's for over 10 years in this area and they have proven time and time again that they are NOT the place to go for Land Rover repairs.

They caharge top dollar and do not employ mechanics that have any demonstravle skill or knowledge in repairing Land Rovers.

I can provide examples. They like to keep LR's on the lot because the owner likes them. But they consistenyl have rusted vehicles with high asking prices and do not provide sound advice or strategy to owners facing expensive or even routine repairs.

RUN AWAY.

don't ever go to Sure-Fit either...

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by APaden
hey guys, another question... I took my d90 to Arlington Motorcars b/c it wouldnt start again. As it turns out it is the fuel pump. They are saying its going to cost approx $900 to fix the darn thing. Does this sound right? Thanks for the help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
happy hour, virginia