Northern Virginia Happy Hour - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
See above for the clarification on "have". The logistics are just too much of a hassle to try get 2 vehicles there or I would
Hum.... Pull the rear driveshaft on the D-90, drive it over your utility trailer (to use it as a dolly) and drive the 110 to Arlington.
If I had read that earlier I would not have driving the D-90 in the rain with the bimini top this morning..... Well..... Live and learn.... First time the top is fitted to the truck (I "kinda" forgot that I had bought it and that was "nicely" mentioned to me two weeks ago.....). At least, now I know I should roll it and always have it in the back of the truck.
See you all tonight!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Glad you are coming Loic.

In case I've had a brain fart, is there anything I'm supposed to be bringing besides a 110, money for Tony, and a hollow leg to accommodate the free beers and hors d'œuvres bozman will be filling me up with?

charles
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

And I'm bringing what the sewer cap, the seat chunks and the steering guard, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Seat chunks must be for someone else, but you are also bringing my TPS. Hell, bring any gadgets off the engine that might be causing my stalling/fuel issue on my D90 please

You done with the press? i could use that too.

charles
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Yeah, bring all the spare parts you don't need specially "armor type" parts and I'll "store" them for you!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Yeah, bring all the spare parts you don't need specially "armor type" parts and I'll "store" them for you!
Actually, if someone has a pair of rear trailing arm they want to get rid off I'm interested (I'd like to make a sleeved pair in my "spare" time). I saw a pair for $30 I think (+ shipping; Charles probably remembers the vendor website's).
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Seat chunks must be for someone else, but you are also bringing my TPS. Hell, bring any gadgets off the engine that might be causing my stalling/fuel issue on my D90 please

You done with the press? i could use that too.

charles
Seat chunks are for Dave if he's coming -- Dave? Is the TPS going to work? Do you have a serpentine belted 3.9 or a regular 4.0 (I can't remember). What're your symptoms?

I *think* I'm done with the press -- I'll check.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I have a serpentine belted 3.9. She'll randomly start running really rough (rich) and if you don't keep giving it throttle it will cut out. Right as this happens I hear a relay click. If I press on by giving it skinny pedal, or wait a moment (maybe up to a minute) if it had stalled, then the relay clicks and she's back to normal. I may still have ground issues, and have replaced the VSS. Throws a code 44 every now and again. I swapped 02 sensors but will put the others back as they looked better visually.

Loic, I have replaced my rear trailing arms. They are slightly bent, but you can have the old ones.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
APaden
Anthony Paden
Help me fill this please!

well, well, well... the verdict is......... OUT OF GAS! I guess my fuel guage decided to stop working. Thanks for all the help and, yes, you may all laugh, chuckle or make fun of me any way you wish. It will be fully accepted.

What time does the happy hour usually end. I have a pretty busy day ahead of me at the restaurant and I wont be done till 7-7:30 and can probably make it there by 8-8:30 and just wanted to make sure you all will still be there.

I appreciate all the help and look forward to tonight.

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Charles, have you tried swapping out your fuel pump relay?
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:28 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
No i haven't, mainly because it runs rich when this happens, and if the fuel pump relay was cutting out, wouldn't it run lean? That and it will take some effort to figure out which one it is. My relays under the passenger footwell are just dangling there so not sure which is which offhand. I'll certainly try it though.

Right now I'm trying to taunt her into behaving. She's sitting out in the rain without the full top, and I've stolen parts off her for Janey which means no doors either. She knows Janey is in the garage. If that doesn't get her head straight, were going to have a heart to heart. LOL.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

Bad news guys. My daughters godfather is in town at the last minute and wants to come see us (hasn't seen her in 3 years). I will have to see you on the next one. We should all do a trip to GW national forest before winter?

Bozman - you have mail

DMAX
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
No i haven't, mainly because it runs rich when this happens, and if the fuel pump relay was cutting out, wouldn't it run lean? That and it will take some effort to figure out which one it is. My relays under the passenger footwell are just dangling there so not sure which is which offhand. I'll certainly try it though.
How do you know it's running rich? Did you verify that at the O2 sensor side? Or at the smell on the exhaust side?
A lot of people seem to be reporting leaking injectors these days.... Did you put any cleaner or ATF in your gas tank recently? If not, this might be an easy one (and cheap) to try.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Exhaust smell indicating fuel leaking down to the cats, black smoke. Have not tried any additives but use the highest octane. I guess I can try that. I have bought new injector plugs and plan to install those at some point to ensure I have good connections there.

charles
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Exhaust smell indicating fuel leaking down to the cats, black smoke. Have not tried any additives but use the highest octane. I guess I can try that. I have bought new injector plugs and plan to install those at some point to ensure I have good connections there.

charles
So this could be a bad ignition as well. You have a distributor right? When is the last time you replaced the coil? [Or it could be another bad ground thingy....]
BTW, the TPS can very easily be tested with an ohmmeter. I remember reading that it can develop a "flat spot". But that does not seem to be what you described.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah the TPS is me clutching at straws. Pendy is going to kick my ass if I don't replace my ground cable to the battery and clean the rest again, so I will try do that this weekend and it wouldn't surprise me if thats the issue. I have a new coil somewhere and the wiring to it could be considered suspect so I guess I'll address that too. The plan is invest some sweat equity into Janey, but I guess I need to get the D90 reliable first. But I have my radiator in now, so the plan was to get Janey inspected and then put the D90 into the garage for some TLC - radiator, oil and power steering lines.

charles
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Still on the original ignition control module?
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
umm, well it came with the engine (you have my old one) so I assume original. But it's in the stock location, not relocated.

So I don't know what's wrong, but if you want to lend me things like that and the stepper motor, whatever else, I can at least try things without throwing money at it. Already did that with the VSS.
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I can bring the tps, but the ignition module is somehting you should just go ahead and replace -- it's a known weak component and when mine went caused unending wierd drivability issues. STC1856 is your friend
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

not going to make it.....bummed
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

You didn't miss much, Greg refused to by us beers as he'd promised . . . though he did bring "product" to try to sell us. kinda shady, really.

Great time, good to see the regulars and to meet you Anthony and Jonathan. Charles, I'll let you share your experiences of the evening.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
happy hour, virginia