Northern Virginia Happy Hour - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Great, go ahead and bring the title if you would!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

Can you guys please provide the address and a time for these shenanigans?

DMAX
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

3114 North 10th St. Arlington

7, though a few of us are generally there early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden
Help me fill this please!

hey guys, so it happens my rover didnt start today so I figured why not ask you all since I am a rookie at the Defenders. The engine is turning but doesnt kick over so my first thought is the engine is not getting fuel. does anyone have any other thoughts and know a good shop to bring it to that is close by to DC? Thanks for the help in advance. And go figure it happens right befor the happy hour so I wont have my Rover.

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yikes. When you turn the ignition on, you should hear a relay click and the fuel pump come on. The fuel rail is different on a '97 than a '94 but I believe you can press a relief valve to see if it's got fuel pressure as well. Check for spark too.
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Lots of things it could be -- was it running ok beforehand? Fuel pump relay is a good bet, though. For service you could try Arlington Motorcars in Rosslyn -- I believe they have the necessary computers to read what's going on.

Oh, speaking of them, their property is most likely turning into an office building in the next 2 years.
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:43 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden

Thanks, I will have to check and see if I can hear the relay. It happened like this: i turned on my car, it ran for about 5 seconds, then shut off slowly. I tried to start it again, but it just cranked but never turned over.

Thanks!

Seattle, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I have had some good success with "Arlington Motorcars" in Arlington. Right down the street from Jay's too.

They work on a "first come. first served" policy and are convenient to the Rosslyn Metro station (walking distance).

Also, I work in Georgetown, so let me know if you want me to take a look at it during lunch or after work.
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

was it out in the rain today? i know on the '94s (not sure what other years) the fuel pump relay is susceptible to getting wet and causing no starts.
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Fuel filter? Will it just not start at all now?
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

oh, and to the happy hour, looks like rain all day tomorrow. great.
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden

It is out in the rain, but it stopped working when it wasnt raining.

I appreciate your time and the offer to come by to take a look. I am at work right now till 1am (in friendship heights). I would have to figure out a time I could meet you, but I really appreciate the offer.

It will not start, but I also have not had too much of a chance to look at it b/c I had to leave for work.

Watch it be the gas gauge is broken and I just have to put gas in the damn thing (I am going to try that too). I hope it is that, and then you all can get a great big laugh at the novice.

I really appreciate all the help and time!

Seattle, WA

Old October 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Donaldson
oh, and to the happy hour, looks like rain all day tomorrow. great.
Good English weather!

Do you have a top for the beast Robbie?

The title to my 110 came today, and the my wife is kindly sitting at the DMV waiting for their computer systems to come back online so she can get it tagged and titled, so I hope to be nice and dry driving to happy hour (unless I break down of course)!

charles
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
APaden, I read a little on this the other day as my fuel guage is stuck at Full. This may be a sign that the fuel sender is going bad. If your guage is reading full you actually may be out of gas and your sender is going bad like I think mine is. Apparently this is an issue with the 97's more so than 94-95. If your odometer is still working consider yourself lucky. At least you can estimate how long you have before filling up again. My odometer went out on me two weeks before the fuel guage decided to stick. I stop for gas twice as often now and its a pita.

Clay
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden

my odometer goes in and out, so we will see how long that last me. but thanks for the info and I will see if it is the gas gauge when I leave work tonight.

Seattle, WA

Old October 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by APaden
Thanks, I will have to check and see if I can hear the relay. It happened like this: i turned on my car, it ran for about 5 seconds, then shut off slowly. I tried to start it again, but it just cranked but never turned over.

Thanks!
Definitely sounds like fuel is not getting into the cylinders, but then it could also just be the ignition system not working anymore. Anyway.... Could be a lot of things, but so far you've had a lot of good hints! Fuel pump electrical circuit:
- turn your ignition key to position III (is that III ? "just before making the engine turn")
- hear the relay kick in, you should also hear the pump running (the fuel pump on my disco is noisier than on my D90, go figure...)
- the relay will drop (because you should now have enough pressure in the fuel rail)

Fuel pipping: no experience with that, but the obvious culpirit is the filter. You can verify that you have some pressure in the circuit by pressing the valve on the fuel rail and see if fuel flows out (warning: this can be dangerous, fuel burns...... yada yada yada).

Ignition System: hum..... Take a spark plug out and see if you can get a nice blue spark. When were the inition wires and spark plugs replaced? Do you have a coil pack on the 97 (I assume so as this is the same engine as on the '96 Disco).

Also make sure the inertia sensor/switch didn't unwind on you (the medium-side press button in the middle of your firewall). While I worked on my truck, I spent 2 good hours trying to figure out what was wrong (after undoing a good amount of the top of the engine..... can you feel those cold drops of water on your neck when it's 90degrees outside.... ???? ). 2 very very very long hours..... Until "Duh!".

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Good English weather!

Do you have a top for the beast Robbie?

The title to my 110 came today, and the my wife is kindly sitting at the DMV waiting for their computer systems to come back online so she can get it tagged and titled, so I hope to be nice and dry driving to happy hour (unless I break down of course)!

charles
Hum.... Was thinking of coming with the D90, but then.... Still no top installed..... So rain, no rain? full top? Bimini Top? No Top?..... Only a few hours to spare tonight and a D90 to unload and re-cover might not work out!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
APaden
Anthony Paden

geeze, i really appreciate all the great tips and help!

Seattle, WA

Old October 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Hum.... Thinking bimini top now!
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourb...r=4&begDay=298
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
To qualify for 2 free beers, you must have at least two (2) full size Land Rover vehicles.

(Limit one per customer)
I QUALIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
For the purpose of this contract, "BEER" and any variation of the word BEER (i.e. BREW, BEERZ, BEERSIES, BREWSKIES) shall be defined as a single alcoholic beverage of value not to exceed $4.79. All costs exceeding said price shall be the responsibility of the receiver of BEER.

In order to qualify for BEER, vehicles must be located in the parking lot of Jay's Pub in Arlington no later than 7:15pm EST on October 25, 2007. All vehicles shall be parked, in adjacent parking stalls, so as the front of the vehicle is facing out. If you have difficulty getting your vehicle into reverse, others may help with pushing the vehicle in, and thus may qualify for additional BEER at the discretion of the person receiving the previously mentioned pushing.

Limit one per customer. Not valid with any other offer. Member FDIC. Patent pending.
See above for the clarification on "have". The logistics are just too much of a hassle to try get 2 vehicles there or I would

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
happy hour, virginia