North x Northwest Alaska Rally Thread - Defenders Northwest - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old September 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
North x Northwest Alaska Rally Thread - Defenders Northwest

Formally opening up a discussion to gauge interest, ideas, and feasibility of a DNW NW to AK Rally.

I will summarize the discussion from another AK thread as a start point:

The general idea is to organize a two week +/- event starting at our shop in Gig Harbor, WA (Near Seattle) and ending back in Seattle WA with a group of Defenders traveling to Alaska and back together - while engaging in some events and challenges along the way.
  • Not a "race" the travel will be gated to encourage safe and responsible public road use
  • Passports required as we would be traveling into and out of Canada
  • Use of the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry system to save time and make it a loop trip
  • Keep the timeline as close to two weeks as possible to allow those with limited vacation time to participate
  • Event sponsors to share cost of administration expenses

My thought was to make it a compete to complete challenge by using freshly delivered exmod D90's and the goal is for a team of two (minimum team size including driver and navigator) to get their vehicle from start to finish.

So, let's open this up to ideas, interest, timing, costs, etc...

I am driving to/from Anchorage in a couple weeks - partly just to see what the route looks like between here and there - as well as services, etc... If anyone wants to fly and ride on the scouting drive I'm open to a co-driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2013, 05:24 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post

My thought was to make it a compete to complete challenge by using freshly delivered exmod D90's and the goal is for a team of two (minimum team size including driver and navigator) to get their vehicle from start to finish.
So if I am reading it right the vehicles are provided and I don't have to use my own and get it from NJ to the northwest? If so I'm in.
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post

So if I am reading it right the vehicles are provided and I don't have to use my own and get it from NJ to the northwest? If so I'm in.
That is my original thought. Depending on cost and amount of participants we may have to adapt for the first event.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A few other thoughts-

Timing: My initial thought is to run it in as part of a holiday weekend over the summer to pickup an extra day. That said August along the Northwest Coast can be spectacular and doesn't conflict with other events - late in the month the meltwater will have slowed a little and the cooler nights can knock down some of the mosquito population.

Schedule: (from the other thread)
Day 1 - meet in Seattle - pickup trucks and head to ferry terminal in Bellingham
Day 2&3 Seattle-Alaska ferry, meet & greet, instructions, etc...
Day 4&5 endurance drive north to the arctic ocean (1000miles)
Day 6-13 drive and events enroute to Seattle (~400 miles a day - with some longer some shorter with challenges/events) success banquet in Seattle
day 14 - departure/travel home

With evening meals included, vehicles provided, and the banquet/giveaway what would be a reasonable participant up-front cost?
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Subscribed too!
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:43 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Cool

Subscribed
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Very interesting.
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Subscribed! You're talking 2014?
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Subscribed! You're talking 2014?
2014 indeed. May not be as fully envisioned next year, but one way or another there will be a rally - even if it's just me.

It looks good on paper - I'll be driving to Anchorage and back in a couple weeks and will have a better idea of the route and viability.
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm definitely interested. I'm curious about the condition of the ex-mods. In one respect it would be a blast to drive an ex-mod but on the other hand I worry about depending on a vehicle whose history or reliability I know nothing about while traveling in the middle of nowhere.
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'm definitely interested. I'm curious about the condition of the ex-mods. In one respect it would be a blast to drive an ex-mod but on the other hand I worry about depending on a vehicle whose history or reliability I know nothing about while traveling in the middle of nowhere.
The "challenge" part of the event was to see who could get a freshly delivered exmod from Anchorage to the arctic and back to Seattle using whatever creative solutions were required.

Safety would be provided in traditional Rallye style with a sweep vehicle and nightly bivouacs pre-set. If you don't make the bivouac under your own power you loose points, too early (excessive speeding) loose points. etc...

My rational for exmods - random and somewhat level playing field for all participants - trucks were usually maintained on a schedule and are in reasonable mechanical and physical condition (not rotted out 25yo eastern european farm trucks) and all would receive new batteries and a basic service prior to running. The other reason would be an affordable cost and vehicle not "devalued" by field repairs to keep it in the rally. I would hope that with enough participants we could negotiate a decent price on a few trucks and import costs. After which the drivers would have the option to purchase the rig if desired. At some point there would be a fleet built up and the cost to run the event would go down.

Buying out your rally truck would make for an interesting trophy and one hell of a story.
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Coug D90
Tristan Felchlin
1995/D90

I'll be back, I am in
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
...too early (excessive speeding) loose points. etc...
Let's be honest, no one is going to be doing any excessive speeding in an exMOD Defender.
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Let's be honest, no one is going to be doing any excessive speeding in an exMOD Defender.
There is a remote possibility of both a tailwind and downhill slope while passing through a town with low speed limits...

The slow travel is a big part of the allure.
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:50 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Brian how many trucks are you thinking? Would the sweep vehicles be 110 ex-mods also? Probably the US importable trucks would be a little more costly. If we went with Canadian importable trucks we could go with r380 transmissions. Just another variable to throw in the mix.
With Canadian importable trucks you could be looking at Wolf's with 300tdi's
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Brian how many trucks are you thinking? Would the sweep vehicles be 110 ex-mods also? Probably the US importable trucks would be a little more costly. If we went with Canadian importable trucks we could go with r380 transmissions. Just another variable to throw in the mix.
With Canadian importable trucks you could be looking at Wolf's with 300tdi's
Good thought on 15y/o exMOD trucks - more options but import into CA can cost a bit more, would need to setup the event company as a Canadian Co. and the challenge of what to do with the trucks post event since they couldn't be sold to the US market US participants would not be able to buy out their vehicle.

Based on the interest so far I'll venture an optimistic guess of say 8 trucks to start with - eight teams of two+ participants - support and logistic vehicles may have to be whatever is available via the volunteer/staff network to get started. If successful and self funding then yes the ideal support vehicles would be two sets of paired trucks (110 and 130) leapfrogging the bivouac and acting as sweep.

One pair of support vehicles would depart first thing in the morning with one stopping at the mid-day checkpoint and the other to the next bivouac to start setting up camp.
Following the morning briefing and update the teams would depart enroute to the midpoint check-in.
After the teams have departed the morning bivouac - remaining staff in the two support trucks will break camp and start-off acting as sweeper vehicles along the route.
When all participants have checked in at the mid-point the third vehicle will join the sweeper convoy and all will act as sweep until arriving in the bivouac location to meet with the participants and first staff vehicle.
The next morning the procedure will repeat (swapping positions so that the staff gets to alternate between sweep and lead)

FYI for any who are not familiar with the term "Sweeper" in this context it is a reference to the general Rallye setup used by motorcycle type off-road rally (Dakar) as the trailing vehicle or "camion balais" that cleans the route of vehicles and participants (non-medical) unable to complete the days route.
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Staff - volunteers? would need to be 8 capable individuals in the four trucks. Possibly one extra staff member as event chef.
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Have any idea of a budget? Cost per team or participant? Is this going to be an elitist event or can the common rover lover/ adventurist attend? How would the 8 or so teams be chosen?
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
I'd volunteer but I have twins on the way. I'll be lucky to still have my defender by this time next year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
defender