North x Northwest Alaska Rally Thread - Defenders Northwest - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 4th, 2013, 01:13 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post
results will correspond with money spent
... not sure what the issue is, since the idea is that its 'not a race'. Subscribed regardless, interesting concept. If I had control over my vacation time I'd be all over this one. Oh, and if I wouldn't get kicked out of the house for using my only vacation for a solo trip without the family!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
IMO it would be preferable to use your own equipment because the challenge would be to check your skills with your equipment...with your current vested blood, sweat, tears...
As a separate event is there interest in a group trip? I'm planning on a couple trips next year to scout and secure locations, maybe there are a few folks who would like to tag along?
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
As a separate event is there interest in a group trip? I'm planning on a couple trips next year to scout and secure locations, maybe there are a few folks who would like to tag along?

I would like to consider it as long as I could use my own rig! Hell I'll leave the wallet at home if I can use someone elses!! But yes I'm interested...Calender considerations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Pending dates, I'd like to take a look at the area as never driven that route. Also have truck and trailer, with far too much experience hauling our Rovers, for possible support vehicle on expedition. (Kinda thinking a car carrying semi with separate mechanics truck might be needed for such an event.
Little brother lives in Gig Harbor, somewhat familiar w area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1137199069.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	81594  
Old October 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Would anyone have experience with driving to Anchorage then taking a ship along with a/the D90 say...back to San Diego? So drive there, float back?!? just curious...
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaretyre View Post
Pending dates, I'd like to take a look at the area as never driven that route. Also have truck and trailer, with far too much experience hauling our Rovers, for possible support vehicle on expedition. (Kinda thinking a car carrying semi with separate mechanics truck might be needed for such an event.
Little brother lives in Gig Harbor, somewhat familiar w area.
Fantastic! Several people just like you have offered up support in various levels. Yours and others support are the key to making this happen.

After my initial scouting trip in October this year - and conversations with many folks in Alaska and the Yukon - we are going to see this happen. Official dates to follow, though we are planning for August 15th - August 30th 2015.

Name:	IMG_3705.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	83257

Name:	IMG_3706.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	83258

Name:	IMG_3709.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	83259

Name:	IMG_3713.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	83260
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The issue with doing it that way is it becomes a challenge of who can throw the most money into a vehicle and results will correspond with money spent
Perhaps if the event was run as a race as opposed to a tsd rally. A tsd rally makes it more about driver navigator skills and not so much about high $ equipment. With the exception of off road portions, tsd takes a lot of the $ equipment aspects out.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

We so need a cannon ball D90 race! (pardon my non-topic comment)
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
We so need a cannon ball D90 race! (pardon my non-topic comment)
You are pardoned...

The issue with a "Race" is one of legal and financial management. There are reasons that the Dakar has been run in non-litigious countries. The challenge is how to create adventure without increasing the risks of being shut-down/detained/fined/sued in North America.

Doug is correct - the TSD or "special - liaison" format would indeed resolve the variance between privately owned vehicles - though this becomes a test of experience and education - favoring those with time and funds to support training and practice.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:18 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Perhaps if the event was run as a race as opposed to a tsd rally. A tsd rally makes it more about driver navigator skills and not so much about high $ equipment. With the exception of off road portions, tsd takes a lot of the $ equipment aspects out.
True. I didn't say it in the post but I was mainly talking about the off road portions and reliability and not speed. With it being about skill it seemed like a cool way to eliminate all the other variables if the same type of vehicles were used.
Perhaps a solution would be to have something along the lines of an ex mod class and an open class.
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
True. I didn't say it in the post but I was mainly talking about the off road portions and reliability and not speed. With it being about skill it seemed like a cool way to eliminate all the other variables if the same type of vehicles were used.
Perhaps a solution would be to have something along the lines of an ex mod class and an open class.
Entirely possible that the event could grow beyond the original scope in future runs (assuming a resounding success for the inaugural Defender event)
Old November 9th, 2013, 02:57 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Mybluett

If you need help let me know as I know of some very nice places in Alaska to go wheeling and would be glad to help. I have a Rover shop outside of Anchorage that you could use if any of the guys needed a place to work on them. you can email me at akarover1@gmail.com . Im in concord now heading north up to the highway 1 on sunday morning in a 57 S1 . So I maybe a little SLOOOWWW getting back to you.

Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old November 9th, 2013, 03:30 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
This is interesting, won't be able to go though
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:20 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Just a thought- what if you did two one week events, one up, and one back- with a week or two in between. See if Ed can do service duties in between, for hire of course. This in effect cuts both the time and the cost in half. It also negates the ferry system, which can be a scheduling issue with 6 MOD Defenders going the distance with a prescribed ETA. Also, it puts half the miles/abuse on the trucks without a proper going over.
Seems this may address many of the concerns voiced above. And at the end, still offer up the trucks for purchase from the participants- in effect doubling the audience for this portion as well.
Utilizing Canadian trucks is a big decision, as this gets you 10 year newer trucks, which is much easier to source parts if needed in route or at the midway service. Flying to Vancouver is usually cheaper than Seattle for us east coast folks anyway.
Lastly, should someone want the entire experience and can afford the time and dollars- stay over the intermediate week in Anchorage, and do some fishing, hiking, sight seeing, run up to Denali, or even lend a hand wrenching if they want the 'total' experience...
Just a few thoughts- great idea, and hope it comes to fruition!! And in all reality- the inaugural event is typically the best event ;-)

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Why not? You have a year and a half to plan...
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Just a thought- what if you did two one week events, one up, and one back- with a week or two in between. See if Ed can do service duties in between, for hire of course. This in effect cuts both the time and the cost in half. It also negates the ferry system, which can be a scheduling issue with 6 MOD Defenders going the distance with a prescribed ETA. Also, it puts half the miles/abuse on the trucks without a proper going over.
Seems this may address many of the concerns voiced above. And at the end, still offer up the trucks for purchase from the participants- in effect doubling the audience for this portion as well.
Utilizing Canadian trucks is a big decision, as this gets you 10 year newer trucks, which is much easier to source parts if needed in route or at the midway service. Flying to Vancouver is usually cheaper than Seattle for us east coast folks anyway.
Lastly, should someone want the entire experience and can afford the time and dollars- stay over the intermediate week in Anchorage, and do some fishing, hiking, sight seeing, run up to Denali, or even lend a hand wrenching if they want the 'total' experience...
Just a few thoughts- great idea, and hope it comes to fruition!! And in all reality- the inaugural event is typically the best event ;-)
Here are my thoughts on the split event - certainly one consideration for future events but less so for the kickoff.

First - arranging the correct number of participants on both legs will be an issue - and what team owns the trucks while on the event? Does each team then have to sell their truck to the next team? This is intended to be a grand event - two weeks on a once in a lifetime trip is reasonable - this one just happens to have Defenders. There is no issue coordinating the ferry and a bulk rate will help control costs - the ferry ride time is part of the event plan for team building and interaction. The trucks will have had a "proper service" on delivery and driving up instead of boating up will end up with more miles on the trucks.

Ultimately splitting the event would raise admin costs significantely resulting in the same cost per team for half as much time in the truck.

I relish the conversation on alternate ideas for this as it helps clarify the event and also brings to light considerations and alternatives that may not be apparant to me.

If successful and there is a call to annualize the event - then the thought of the event company owning and maintaining a fleet comes into play and I will likely setup the company in YT to be able to keep and use a fleet of 15yo 300Tdi trucks.
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Why not? You have a year and a half to plan...
Finances, timing this with british school holidays...
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Finances, timing this with british school holidays...
Fundraising - get a team together and find a great charity to support - (or look for a few mates with deep pockets and a generous nature)

Timing - gap year - buy out the truck and spend the winter learning seņorita spanish in central america...

School holidays - see excuse above

(All kidding aside - the fundraising option is real and viable and a part of the reason this is a 2015 event - giving folks time to build a team and raise funds for their participation and hopefully help out a few charities in the process)
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I know that we have loosely covered 2-3 man teams. My question is is the price the same? If the rough cost is $14000 per team when you add another team member to the cost , it will increase but how much? Does the cost increase make sense financially to make it 3 person teams. It would be cheaper per person at that point?
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
I know that we have loosely covered 2-3 man teams. My question is is the price the same? If the rough cost is $14000 per team when you add another team member to the cost , it will increase but how much? Does the cost increase make sense financially to make it 3 person teams. It would be cheaper per person at that point?
The added cost per person should be transportation, food, and admin - probably no more than another 3k

Estimated costs are $15k for a team of two, $18k for a team of 3 Other than having to be the odd man out for sleeping arrangements a team of 3 makes the most sense financially and functionally while on the road (one driver, one navigator, one resting)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
defender